So, yeah, I'm stupid, but my X had a run-in with some water spillage. Not much, but I definitely knocked my water onto it. Took the battery and SD out and put in rice overnight. Unfortunately, I thought it would be a good idea to try it again in the morning... First time, the M logo popped up for about 3 seconds and everything went black. Pulled the battery, tried it again, but this time everything stayed black. So, back into the rice for 2 more days and here we are. Phone starts up, touchscreen is actually still responsive and vibrates, but still completely black... Worried it's fried.

So, here's my situation now. I have that Best Buy Black Tie protection on it, which says it covers spill damage. The water indicator on the phone body is red, but the battery's is untouched. I could easily argue spill, but I've heard they can sometimes be... less than helpful. They claim it's covered though, so that's what I'll argue if it comes down to it. I don't know their policy on ROM's on phones though. I know VZW says it voids warranty, but I've heard some people say Best Buy really doesn't care. I'd just rather not get it shipped out for repairs, only to get it sent back because a ROM. The ROM is some version of MIUI for what its worth.

TL;DR. Phone screen black. Probably fried. Have black tie, but its Rommed. Should I try anything else to fix it? or take it to BB to get it fixed, and should I take ROM off?

Thanks.
    03-19-2012 11:57 AM
    If it will not power up, I doubt the BB guys will be able to tell it's rommed. They'll just satisfy the total failure portion of the agreement, likely credit towards a new phone or a refurb.
    03-19-2012 01:26 PM
    It sounds like thats what's gonna happen. It'll power on, its just the screen wont display anything.

But I ended up taking it in and telling them what happened. Took 5 minutes and they said they'd ship it out and I should have a phone back in 2-3 days. Went much smoother than I expected after hearing horror stories of people having bad black tie experiences.
    03-19-2012 04:42 PM
    Just a follow up on everything...

Took my phone into Best Buy on Monday. Walked in, talked to someone for maybe 2 minutes and they had the form and everything filled out with damage under "water damage" and they shipped it out (still rommed). Said I could expect to hear something in 2-3 business days. Wednesday I got a call, and had a phone waiting at Best Buy. Got a refurbed X with no hassle at all, and didn't really have to wait for it.

All in all, things went better than expected, and I had a good experience using that black-tie protection
    03-23-2012 03:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD