Unless I completely missed it, the live press conference never told us which UI is on the DX. Is it a stripped version of motoblur? Is it ninjablur? Or is it something that's not blur at all? It doesn't even talk about it on the verizon page. Can anyone clear this up?
    06-24-2010 07:19 AM
    All of the reviews seem to say that it's not really blur but more of behind the scenes enhancements. All seems a lot less subtle and they definitely don't throw it in your face like the Devour and Backflip.
    06-24-2010 09:01 AM
    That's what I figured since they didn't really cover that in the press conference. I just found it odd that all of the previews before the conference mentioned either ninjablur or a revision of motoblur (same thing?), but now it's not even being mentioned at all.
    06-24-2010 10:13 AM
    Because after one glance at it, its BUTT UGLY!!!!
    06-24-2010 11:43 AM
    That's what I figured since they didn't really cover that in the press conference. I just found it odd that all of the previews before the conference mentioned either ninjablur or a revision of motoblur (same thing?), but now it's not even being mentioned at all.

Its a stripped down version of Motoblur. Ninjablur was just a nickname someone came up with.
    06-24-2010 11:50 AM
    A stripped down version of Motoblur really is the best way to describe it. On the face of it the OS mostly looks like Android 2.1, but there are some differences. The dock at the bottom only has room for three icons and they seem to be locked to Phone - App Drawer - Contacts (at least, I haven't found a way to change them yet). There are seven screens, and when you swipe from one to the next, a key of sorts shows up along the bottom showing you which screen you're on. A nice feature - you can then press on the icon for any of the seven screens and go straight to it.

There are also several Motorola widgets available.
    06-24-2010 09:26 PM
    They really should give you the option to install stock Android. At least we can download launchers from the android market :-)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    06-24-2010 09:44 PM
    SpeedVX, how would you describe the UI overall? Speedy, fresh, dated...any describing words that come to mind after some time with it?
    06-24-2010 10:34 PM
    Think this answers your questions. Twitter / Android Central: Gonna say this for what we ...
    06-24-2010 11:25 PM
    SpeedVX, how would you describe the UI overall? Speedy, fresh, dated...any describing words that come to mind after some time with it?
    The best one-word description is....Android.

The UI by itself really is very close to stock 2.1. I'll be honest, I actually prefer Launcher Pro that I have loaded up on my Droid to the Moto-whatever-it-is that's running on the X. The five positions available in the dock area in Launcher Pro are very nice compared to the three on the stock X.

This is not Sense UI at all where the phone is totally remade. It is tweaked. There, that's a good word -- tweaked. A little.

Now that's JUST the UI. Add in the effect of the much bigger screen and the 1ghz processor and you get a snappier feeling experience overall.

One thing that I love, though, is the extra added space for apps. The 8GB of onboard storage is all available to apps (anyone coming over from BB knows the special kind of hell involved in watching your memory for apps disappear while you still have gigs of storage on the phone). I wonder how many apps it will take to fill THAT up....
    06-24-2010 11:57 PM
    I am coming from a BB Storm2 so I know full well what happens over the course of a day..memory leaking all over the floor!!!! LOL!

I need to do some investigation into Launcher Pro as I am not at all familiar with this app(?). I am guessing it is a UI overlay??
    06-25-2010 09:14 AM
    The ui itself looks good to me a small tweak. basically like a launcher added to it. but still very much android
    06-25-2010 09:23 AM
    8gb of app storage? I shouldn't say that too loud near my storm. I CAN'T WAIT TO ORDER THIS PHONE!
    06-25-2010 10:21 AM
    8gb is just way to much i wont worry about apps.
    06-25-2010 10:48 AM
    Listening to the podcast it sounds like that 8gb is exclusively for apps, and then its up to your memory card to store the rest. This sounds odd, does it not?
    06-25-2010 11:18 AM
    well yes it does thats just alot for app storage i would think it will be a little over 1-2 gigs for apps. and the rest for media
    06-25-2010 11:20 AM
    I know that they give you, allegedly, a 16gb card with the phone, so you throw everything on there, but what happens when I fill that up? It's going to essentially be the same complaint but on the opposite end. "I have all of this app storage that I can't access to store media on! How frustrating"

Petty, I know, but for some it will be a reality.
    06-25-2010 11:28 AM
    I know that they give you, allegedly, a 16gb card with the phone, so you throw everything on there, but what happens when I fill that up? It's going to essentially be the same complaint but on the opposite end. "I have all of this app storage that I can't access to store media on! How frustrating"

Petty, I know, but for some it will be a reality.
    lol i dont know about filling up 24gbs that's insane, but i just went to pre order mine and it comes with 8 gb card not 16gb
    06-25-2010 12:32 PM
    It runs no blur at all! Stop spreading rumors!
    06-25-2010 03:46 PM

With all due respect Phil, you are incorrect. Its DOES run Motoblur. The widgets you show on the homescreen are part of it. There are 13 blur files in the OS. What you see on the home screen are the blurcalendar and bluremail widgets. It was even mentioned at the press conference that it has a stripped down version of Motoblur. I suggest you correct the story.

Personally i like it with blur.
    06-25-2010 04:28 PM
    so it is running blur? is blur deeply intergrated into android like sense? or is it just a skin for the home? can ADW launcher run on 2.1 or is it just for donut? i love that launcher.
    06-26-2010 12:47 AM
    This is the direct quote from Sanjay Jha at the Droid X news conference when asked if Motoblur would be on the device:

"There will be Motoblur on this device, but the startup and setup of this device, uh, we've had a lot of feedback on the setup and we have modified it so that its dramatically different and its somewhat hidden from the consumer but you have all the capabilities that Motoblur delivers."

Clear as mud, huh?

I have to agree with both sides -- it does have Motoblur on it, but its not the Motoblur that so many people are familiar with, so it really is quite a different experience. That's why I said in an earlier post that it feels much closer to stock Android.

Also, in regards to the app storage speculation, I was told during the demo period of the Droid X by a Motorola rep that the full 8gbs of onboard memory is available for apps. But its also appears to be available for data (I've just moved pictures from the sd card to one of the directories on the onboard memory).

So in the end, it looks like the 8gigs onboard is available for both uses.
    06-28-2010 10:49 PM
    This is the direct quote from Sanjay Jha at the Droid X news conference when asked if Motoblur would be on the device:

"There will be Motoblur on this device, but the startup and setup of this device, uh, we've had a lot of feedback on the setup and we have modified it so that its dramatically different and its somewhat hidden from the consumer but you have all the capabilities that Motoblur delivers."

Clear as mud, huh?

I have to agree with both sides -- it does have Motoblur on it, but its not the Motoblur that so many people are familiar with, so it really is quite a different experience. That's why I said in an earlier post that it feels much closer to stock Android.

Also, in regards to the app storage speculation, I was told during the demo period of the Droid X by a Motorola rep that the full 8gbs of onboard memory is available for apps. But its also appears to be available for data (I've just moved pictures from the sd card to one of the directories on the onboard memory).

So in the end, it looks like the 8gigs onboard is available for both uses.
    Little off topic but since you appear to have the phone can you see if the bootloader is signed? Trying to figure this out is really taking up alot of my time...
    06-29-2010 06:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD