HDMI Question

c4v3man

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I hope Netflix isn't bound by the same contract.
Since Netflix has so many devices with HDMI output using their service already, I doubt it.

And another thing. I would pay $2 to rent a movie to watch on my phone. I would pay $4 to pay to watch on my phone and/or tv at reasonable quality. No HDMI, no sale. Ever.

a1point8turbo

May 27, 2010
Visit site
One of the reasons I am getting this phone is the large screen and ability to stream NFL games to it that may not be on TV (no I don't have one of those fancy cable packages to get any game I like). My question is will I be able to use my HDMI out jack while streaming a game to pop it up on my 42'' Vizio?? I'm assuming I will be able to but I'm sort of curious as to how it will look.

no.

as i understand it, the only thing you can play via HDMI to an external monitor is video shot with the phone...no copy-protected streaming content or movie downloads.

False, you can steam nfl mobile over hdmi, well motorola can. Was just at an event, they had a lcd in a block of ice connected to an x and streaming nfl mobile. I haven't gotten the hdmi cable yet so I can't test it my self. If you go on xda, I posted the pix under the same question. So again motorola had it set up to work...but that could change.

JubbaTheHutt

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
False, you can steam nfl mobile over hdmi, well motorola can. Was just at an event, they had a lcd in a block of ice connected to an x and streaming nfl mobile. I haven't gotten the hdmi cable yet so I can't test it my self. If you go on xda, I posted the pix under the same question. So again motorola had it set up to work...but that could change.

Actually, it was confirmed early on that you could not stream copy-righted material via the HDMI port, but if this remains the case after launch, I don't see it lasting long (considering the sheer level of the Android modding community).

Though honestly, it still perplexes me why they would allow such a limitation, especially if we are forced into $4 for a single movie rental...

a1point8turbo

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Actually, it was confirmed early on that you could not stream copy-righted material via the HDMI port, but if this remains the case after launch, I don't see it lasting long (considering the sheer level of the Android modding community).

Though honestly, it still perplexes me why they would allow such a limitation, especially if we are forced into $4 for a single movie rental...

If motorola can stream the nfl app, I'm sure the devs will figure it out

crunkman989

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
No! Hdmi! What!

Streaming from the blockbuster app isn't really an importance to me, but rather Streaming my downloaded movies from the SD card straight to a HDMI TV is whats important. With the Droid X...being such an high-end device....this HDMI issue will soon be resolved by the Android Community. Or well that's what I'm at least hoping for.

Last edited:

mikeqtx

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if the same limitations, possible solutions apply to youtube/VEVO. It would be nice to stream vevo to the TV. e.g. VEVO is partnering with AMEX and showing concerts. My Vizio TV has streaming aps but not one for VEVO. I was trying to work on my problem from both ends -- with the TV and potentially my phone. my initial search for a phone solution seems to have a dead end, if the phone plus docking station will only allow me to play pix and videos from my phone .

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Try one of these apps. They both claim to allow HDMI output to TV from all applications.

This one has been around a while & costs only $3.90:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.gmanapps.realhdmi

Here is a newer app that promises similar results and is free:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.googamaphone.xternaldisplay

From what I understand, the TI processor in the Droid X doesn't allow for HDMI mirroring so your phone's display will be black when running video thru whichever HDMI app you choose, but once you get the video going, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Reactions: dinod

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome