Ouch, 50$ for desktop dock?

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yea, most of these accessories are a little steep. I think I'll just stick to buying a nice case on launch day. For now at least.

JubbaTheHutt

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Of course it's ridiculous, but people will still buy it on day one. But this doesn't differ from any other accessories VZW may sell, let alone any other carrier. The markup on accessories is always ridiculous. The only major selling point of the dock is the HDMI port.

I will definitely be pulling the trigger on the car dock though. $30 and I can finally hand-down my dated TomTom for some Google Map goodness!

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I'll be springing for the car dock as well. My Garmin has been good to me, but it's time to step it up a notch. I just hope there will be some sort of cache for drives through poor coverage areas. I'm planning a drive up to Buffalo from NYC and would love if it worked where I know I don't get a signal on some of the back roads.

c4v3man

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
It may include the HDMI cable, which would justify $25 of it's price. I know the cable shouldn't be $25, but that's what they are charging for the cable itself.

If it's just for a plastic dock and no hdmi cable/charger/something, then screw that.

JubbaTheHutt

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
It may include the HDMI cable, which would justify $25 of it's price. I know the cable shouldn't be $25, but that's what they are charging for the cable itself.

If it's just for a plastic dock and no hdmi cable/charger/something, then screw that.

It will be the dock alone; HDMI cable will be sold separately (which I bet you'll be able to pick up for like $3 via Meritline a couple of weeks after its release).

Again, this is an area where retailers make a killing. Accessories (especially audio/visual ones) are known to be close to pure profit.

c4v3man

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
It will be the dock alone; HDMI cable will be sold separately (which I bet you'll be able to pick up for like $3 via Meritline a couple of weeks after its release).

Again, this is an area where retailers make a killing. Accessories (especially audio/visual ones) are known to be close to pure profit.

Do you have a source showing it's just a piece of plastic in the form of a dock?

The car dock should be much more expensive to make, more useful, and thus SHOULD be the more expensive accessory. It's not. There has to be some reason (such as the inclusion of the cable, or another charger, etc).

JubbaTheHutt

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Do you have a source showing it's just a piece of plastic in the form of a dock?

The car dock should be much more expensive to make, more useful, and thus SHOULD be the more expensive accessory. It's not. There has to be some reason (such as the inclusion of the cable, or another charger, etc).

:confused:

I never commented on its quality, nor the material from which it is made. Look at the launch materials/photos provided for the dock. Though I do know it offers a few other features (particular setting for bedside use) as well as other useful information (weather, news, etc.).

c4v3man

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
:confused:

I never commented on its quality, nor the material from which it is made. Look at the launch materials/photos provided for the dock. Though I do know it offers a few other features (particular setting for bedside use) as well as other useful information (weather, news, etc.).

Not trying to attack, just get more info. If you were going to show a dock, would you hand it to people with cables dangling from it, or would you have it sans cables? That's why I don't trust the launch photos, because it would be difficult to handle with cables attached.

JubbaTheHutt

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Not trying to attack, just get more info. If you were going to show a dock, would you hand it to people with cables dangling from it, or would you have it sans cables? That's why I don't trust the launch photos, because it would be difficult to handle with cables attached.

I'll run it by my gf's roomate's boyfriend (manages a store). Though from dock purchases in the past from VZW, I have never received a cable, just the dock.

c4v3man

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'll run it by my gf's roomate's boyfriend (manages a store). Though from dock purchases in the past from VZW, I have never received a cable, just the dock.

Have the docs in the past been $50?

I thought docs were like $30. I can't see the HDMI licensing fees making it $50 magically.

The Mad Mule

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I may get the dock at launch, assuming the kiosk will have some. It's a really steep $50 indeed, and I already got burned once when I bought a simple $20 BB dock charger, and then right after I ordered it, I saw that I could get an OEM version of it elsewhere for $5.

But I also learned one thing from my BB: charging to such a small USB port is asking for trouble if the connecting cable places too much downward stress on the port, and if you knock it to the ground, then it'll exacerbate the problem. That's why I got the BB charger; it got to the point where I couldn't give power to my BB through the USB port.

As for the HDMI cable, I'll just buy one from monoprice.com: For only $3.72 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 6FT Mini-HDMI (Type C) to HDMI (Type A) Specification 1.3a 30AWG Cable | Mini-HDMI to HDMI Cables

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
That's the wrong cable on monoprice. The only place stocking cables that I could find is amazon, and they're only a foot long for like $15. Hopefully a few more will carry them in the coming months.

As for the dock, it definitely comes with an HDMI cable, hence the price, hence why I won't be buying one.

Any in store HDMI cable is way to expensive to purchase (a la Best Buy's $50 cables). You'll be able to get them online for $5 in a few weeks I hope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol