Droid X screen - protection

Mrhansiman

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey there.

I was wondering if the Droid X's screen is made out of the "anti screen scratch" material? I must admit that I'm no expert, at all. But i remembered that there was some phone company, who released a smartphone (with android), that had some sort of anti scratching screen.

Since the Droid X has an enormous screen, i find this a quite interesting question.

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Most touchscreen phones have a pretty scratch-resistant screen (if not totally scratch proof). I have had three touch screen phones (look in my sig), even the one that wasn't a smartphone was scratch proof. I wouldn't worry about it considering no review has made mention of it. It may not be Gorilla Glass, but it's probably pretty *** close.

tlane01

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I believe i read that the Droid X will have Gorilla Glass the same as the Original Droid.

I will more than likely be investing in an Invisible Shield for it anyways. Better safe than sorry.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Fact is any screen can be scratched... gotta be careful if you don't use a protector. That being said, I am careful and never use a protector and never get any scratches. Depends on the individual.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
i have never used a protector for my droid and have yet to have an issue, but i agree with jeremy. depends on how you use your phone and how careful you are with it

didiwags

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
i have never used a protector for my droid and have yet to have an issue, but i agree with jeremy. depends on how you use your phone and how careful you are with it

That is very true!!! I had gotten screen protectors for my blackberry curve but they did not lats long and the screen is pretty scratched up just from being put in my purse!! I bought a screen protector for my ipod touch and it is still mint!! But one reason I did was because I use it to keep my 3 yr old occupied when we go places! I have child apps on there so I want it protected!! LOL My X will have one again because 1. I am a women and have a purse which is where my phones normally go and 2. I have kids who do sometimes get a hold of my stuff!

Fun fun uhn :D

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Things like keys or pocket change (which is what you see in all these scratch test videos) will probably not scratch the glass. However anything with elements harder than glass will scratch the glass for sure. For example, if you use a microfiber cloth to clean, or a case to protect, and either gets a piece of sand or some other form of dirt on it, you will probably start seeing fine little scratches as those particles come into contact with the screen. My suggestion is to buy yourself a bottle of iKlear with a gigantic mircofiber cloth. Cut the cloth up into reasonable size squares and wash them frequently to remove any dirt build up. Then throw them away every so often. OR buy a screen protector (which I would never do because I like my phones el natural).

SCMoney360

May 19, 2010
Visit site
yes!! At least there is a pdf file showing it does have some!! Hopefully it will be available at launch!!!

And based on my previous experiences, they are cheap and come in packs of three. which is actually fine. I have used these...and I used Invisible shield. I have to say that I preferred the cheap ones.

My main problem wasn't scratches, it was lint and things like that. I since haven't used any protector and what do you know...I dropped my phone twice and have some tiny scratches nothing I am over concerned about. But this is also an older phone...I will coddle the X for the first couple of months probably just wrapping a microfiber cloth around it while its in my pocket until I get a good quality case.

Mrhansiman

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I've had my HTC Hero since the release, here in Denmark. And since then I've haven't done anything what so ever, to protect my screen. I've used my phone as a teenager world. Yea I’ve dropped it quite a few times, and I've even found myself having my mobile in the same pocket as my keys. That's with both tight and loose pants.

And I must say, I’m quite impressed. If I look carefully I might be able to spot 3, max 4 short scratches.

I find no need for a screen protector at all :)

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I've had my HTC Hero since the release, here in Denmark. And since then I've haven't done anything what so ever, to protect my screen. I've used my phone as a teenager world. Yea I?ve dropped it quite a few times, and I've even found myself having my mobile in the same pocket as my keys. That's with both tight and loose pants.

And I must say, I?m quite impressed. If I look carefully I might be able to spot 3, max 4 short scratches.

I find no need for a screen protector at all :)

I used to use this mentality with my Storm and I never had any problems until about a year into owning it I dropped it. It wasn't too high, but it hit hard pavement and the screen spider web cracked. Amazingly, it still worked, but I ponied up the $50 insurance deductible, and got a new phone, along with a case and screen protector.

Rather safe than sorry is my point ;)

JDHunz

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I used a screen protector from my iTouch on my Storm 1 (had to cut it to right size) because I like the anti-glare coating and it seems pretty resilient. Until I see the screen of the X, I might forgo any screen protector at the start, but then I also might just slap one on there because I get a little paranoid.

Thefish

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech