Question about the Droid X before and after Gingerbread

CalamityX1

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I've been wanting to upgrade to the Droid X once it released. But then I started hearing all these rumors about Android 3.0(AKA Gingerbread) being released in the fall. My question, if I bought my Droid X once it releases, will it still get the screen resolution upgrade through Gingerbread? I just find it kind of implausible that a firmware update would upgrade something that would be normally hardware related. Or would I have to wait to buy the Droid X until AFTER Gingerbread releases?

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea what your talking about, I don't think resolution is software based, and I doubt they'll change the hardware after the Gingerbread release, because that would be ripping people off that already have it, and VZW isn't in a big rush to piss anymore people off after this whole Incredible thing...

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
No software in the world can change a screen's resolution. Also, what you're "worried" about is based on rumors and only rumors. Get the X and it will definitely be upgraded to Gingerbread in the future.

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
No software in the world can change a screen's resolution. Also, what you're "worried" about is based on rumors and only rumors. Get the X and it will definitely be upgraded to Gingerbread in the future.

Glad we agree, sorta, I knew software wouldn't change the screen, but I wasn't going to make a fool out of myself and be wrong lol

didiwags

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I highly doubt they would release another update so quickly after froyo, since that is still in the process of being updated to droid phones!!! I would not worry about rumors!!!

CalamityX1

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Alright then, my next question is is it possible that Motorola could release a handset of updated Droid X's after Gingerbread releases to support the 1280x760 resolution?

I'm guessing NO, but whatever; I just really need a reason to be patient right now and wait for the 2ghz phones instead. But it's getting realllllly harder to resist now.

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Motorola might not but other manufacturers are going to jump on new hardware and release whatever they can as fast as they can.

Which is why I'll wait a while for better hardware, the first stuff is always the crappiest, so wait out my 2 years with my Droid X, then when I leave my dads plan after that I'll be set for a new phone:D

powermanaf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Which is why I'll wait a while for better hardware, the first stuff is always the crappiest, so wait out my 2 years with my Droid X, then when I leave my dads plan after that I'll be set for a new phone:D

It's bizarre to see how fast technology in cell phones is advancing. Soon the specs of cell phones will exceed those of current netbooks. By the time you are done with your 20 months with the Droid X, the technology will have definitely surpassed what is out now.

What the hell is it going to look like 10 years from now? Hopefully like those old Popular Science magazines, I want a hoverphone.

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
It's bizarre to see how fast technology in cell phones is advancing. Soon the specs of cell phones will exceed those of current netbooks. By the time you are done with your 20 months with the Droid X, the technology will have definitely surpassed what is out now.

What the hell is it going to look like 10 years from now? Hopefully like those old Popular Science magazines, I want a hoverphone.

Coming from Verizon, the new Android phone. "ANDROID(Robot walks on stage)" With android you never do anything ever again, sit on your couch and get fat dudes!

jedge

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site

There's always going to be better hardware on the horizon. That's true of all technology and ESP. true of trendy gadgets. Don't buy something just because of hype.