Help with address book

dimhcs21

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I will be new user to Android, starting with the X on July 15. I know I need to put all of my contacts into my Gmail for it to sync right away with the Droid X.

My question is this: Can I sync to my phone only select contacts, say with a label like "Cell Phone"? I don't want all my Gmail contacts on my phone, just the ones I need. Is there functionality for this?

dimhcs21

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't like VZW reps touching phone. They have screwed so much sh*t up before on my account. I just want my phone and to do everything myself, even if it results in more work.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I will be new user to Android, starting with the X on July 15. I know I need to put all of my contacts into my Gmail for it to sync right away with the Droid X.

My question is this: Can I sync to my phone only select contacts, say with a label like "Cell Phone"? I don't want all my Gmail contacts on my phone, just the ones I need. Is there functionality for this?

They will all sync over, but you can filter the contact list to display only the ones in certain categories. You can also setup multiple Gmail accounts. You can configure one of them NOT to sync your contacts, and the other to not sync anything but your contacts.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I agree...I don't much like it when the vzw reps touch my new phone. I feel like the last few times I've gone they always seem to forget how to take off the battery cover and they do a little more "forcing" than I'd like...

dimhcs21

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
They will all sync over, but you can filter the contact list to display only the ones in certain categories. You can also setup multiple Gmail accounts. You can configure one of them NOT to sync your contacts, and the other to not sync anything but your contacts.

Cory,

How do I set these filters to sync only certain categories? Right now, on my X, all contacts from my Gmail account are syncing when I only want certain categories to sync.

Itlan#AC

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
From what I can see the X syncs everything from gmail, all other Android phones allow you the ability to select a specific Sync group from your gmail account via:

(If you want to sync only the contacts in My contacts group on GMail, goto People -> Groups -> Press Menu button and choose Sync groups, deselect Sync all contacts and select My contacts or any other group.)

But Motorola appears to have stripped this feature. Which means as far as I can tell you have to manually create a group on the phone, and manually move everyone you want to have synced into that group and then choose to display it. Totally bacwards if this is the case.

I have over 500 gmail contacts, but only want 50 or so in my phone. There has got to be a better way......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol