Please Read: Important Information Regarding Task Killers

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Without a doubt, this is one of the most discussed topics in the Android Central forums. Understandably, having come from various other Smartphone platforms (Blackberry, Windows Mobile, etc.), where task management is crucial for optimal performance and battery life, most new Android Smartphone owners have 2 basic questions:

1.) Should I use a task manager?
2.) Which application does the best job at task management?

After digging and digging for answers to these questions, users sometimes end up frustrated and confused by conflicting information from a wide variety of sources. This usually results in a new thread on task management.

To help answer these questions (and avoid all those duplicate threads), Android Central's contributing writer and technical guru, Jerry Hildenbrand, has written this article. Please take a few minutes to read and educate yourself.

If you do choose to use a task manager, and your Droid X starts acting wonky, please uninstall the task manager to see if the problem goes away.

If you still have questions, or if you'd like to chime in with your own opinion and/or experiences with task managers, please post in this thread.

Cory

Last edited:

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
i completely concur that this article is a very important read, as i know a lot of verizon reps that will straight install a task killer (usually advanced task killer aka ATK) on new phones for customers, but dont explain how the app works/the proper way to use it, because in fairness, they probably dont know how to use the app themselves.

i think the most important point to stress is that you should not use task killers to manage your phone's memory. the OS does that for you.

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
This is a great thread. Coming from a Storm, i've become very accustomed to closing out apps once i'm done with them. So when I think about having to install a task killer just to close something I get a little confused. I would love to see some educated viewpoints on the matter.

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the great thread Cory, I'm used to windows mobile task killer, I used to kill apps on my Q 9c all the time, anyone know a good Android Task killer for those worst case scenarios.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
It seems like ATK (Advanced Task Killer) is among the most popular. If you check out the apps forum there's a few threads devoted to Task Killers. The article I hyperlinked in my first post also demonstrates the use of ATK.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
And verizon and best buy tell you to install a task killer. I just sit there and shake my head and laugh

didiwags

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Whoa, this is so beyond me..... I guess I will have to read more up on this!! I have a BB Curve and I just never downloaded much on it cause well RIM apps are a PITA IMO so yeah!!! I have a bunch on my ipod touch so I imagine i will get a bunch for the X too! YIKES!

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Whoa, this is so beyond me..... I guess I will have to read more up on this!! I have a BB Curve and I just never downloaded much on it cause well RIM apps are a PITA IMO so yeah!!! I have a bunch on my ipod touch so I imagine i will get a bunch for the X too! YIKES!

I have a total of 0 extra apps on my blackberry curve, because RIM is that bad..

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the post. Most of the stuff seems pretty obvious but it's good to see and read a guide from people who know a little bit more than I do.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
At the risk of appearing dense here over task killers............
what was the bottom line on them?
Use them?
Don't?
Use with Caution?
Sorry,,,that's a great article, and I'm sure it's in there, but I never found a final conclusion.
Thanks!

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
At the risk of appearing dense here over task killers............
what was the bottom line on them?
Use them?
Don't?
Use with Caution?
Sorry,,,that's a great article, and I'm sure it's in there, but I never found a final conclusion.
Thanks!

Personally I'll just use them in dire scenarios.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
well, I'm asking cause I noticed a Task Killer app on the demo I played with yesterday. Already there...
I just didn't know if it was safe to use it or not.
I mean I don't understand what the recommended and safe way to handle managing all the multitasking?
Reboot occasionally?

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Well the phone is set to auto maximize RAM usage so you shouldn't need the a Task Manager app, but theres some times where you use them just to speed it up if its acting funny.

alpha752

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
What about battery life? Ive read that task killers will help save bettery, sometimes up to 50%. Thats my real concern. Especially with a device like the DX, im not concerned about memory or lag, but battery.

Will ATK set to Autokill do anything to help battery?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol