played with a DX today

TallyHo

Junkie
Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Any doubts I had about getting this phone were decimated today. I got about 10 minutes with this beast at a local Verizon store. The rep was awesome and hooked me up. Everything about it is perfect. Size is awesome.....pocketability is easy, screen is amazing, video playback is insane, browser so so fast and renders great. I just can't say enough about this thing. I have one on hold for me for Wednesday now :)

I will say the rep said it had a snapdragon but I didn't correct him as he let me mess with it early. Other than that he knew his stuff. I was just stoked to get to mess with it.

I'm an android newbie (storm2 now) so don't know much about answering questions other than the stuff I mentioned.

Can't wait.....oh yeah, the thing is solid too. Lighter than my storm2, thinner than my storm2, and just perfect size tbh....

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I know the feeling, stoked about getting to see it early, I had to try so hard not to correct my friend when he was telling me the stuff about the phone, every now and again I'd still be like, "Its not Blur man!", but hard to complain none the less.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Yea well I think its hard to find reps who are more knowledgeable about this stuff than out loyal community here...after all a lot of reps are working there because it's just a job not because they care about phones so they probably aren't scouring the web for information (like we do)

paa79594

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad you enjoyed it... but I have to admit, after I read your post I couldn't see how you wouldn't LOVE this phone or any Android phone coming from a Storm2! I'm glad you're going to jump ship, you won't regret it.

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I went to the store in the mall here and tried to get my hands on one, but I could tell the guy didn't want to get in trouble. He said he played with it there and loved it, but wasn't able to bring it out. I'm jealous of you guys that have already seen them!

GTvert90

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Yea well I think its hard to find reps who are more knowledgeable about this stuff than out loyal community here...after all a lot of reps are working there because it's just a job not because they care about phones so they probably aren't scouring the web for information (like we do)

Very true. I was talking to the store manager that let me see the X and I could tell he was kind of stumbling trying to explain the phone. After he realized I knew more he kind of just watched me play with it. He acknowledged that I probably knew more about it then him.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site

This is a really good point.

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Very true. I was talking to the store manager that let me see the X and I could tell he was kind of stumbling trying to explain the phone. After he realized I knew more he kind of just watched me play with it. He acknowledged that I probably knew more about it then him.

Yeah, this may be the greatest post ever IMO.

Tifoso

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
While I was out I stopped in a "premium retailer" to see if they had any, even a dummy model. Unfortunately, nothing. So I'm talking to this little wad and explaining how I hate all of my BlackBerry's. He proceeds to try and sell me on the original Droid, which isn't a bad phone at all, but not the one I want. I tell him how I like the X's screen size, no keyboard, processor, camera, yada yada yada. Then he says to me good luck with the battery life and you'll be sorry because it'll be the fastest outdated phone since the Incredible. Continues to yammer on about this and that and finally says the original Droid will be the phone that will outlast them all. I was this close to bitch slapping him.

GTvert90

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
This was a corporate store? What an idiot.

Everyphone is outdated with in 6 months. Its the tech cycle. To say the droid will out last them is dumb when in less than a year after the droid 1 launched droid 2 is ready to come out.

Only thing major thing I see the X missing is front facing camera. But I don't see that as a huge issue until they become more common. Give it 6 months we'll all move on from the X to the next big thing.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
What do you mean? Then every 6 months I could buy a phone at the 2 year upgrade price plus whatever promotion they add. So approx $200 per phone instead of $600. And I would add them to my growing collection and someday open a museum.

natrixgli

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
I got my hands on the Droid X today at my local VZ store. I just switched from AT&T / iPhone 4 to a Palm Pixi Plus which I absolutely love. But come July 15th I will still be within my 30 days, it's going to be very tempting! It's the first Android phone I could actually see myself owning, though I do love the size of the Pixi which couldn't possibly be more opposite from the DX. Plus then I'd have to consider paying $20/mo for the hotspot feature which I currently get free. (then again with that huge screen who needs another WIFI device!?)

I was surprised that it felt less substantial in my pocket than my iPhone 4 did. The excess of buttons on the outside was the only thing that bothered me. Somehow the camera button felt loose and "jiggly".

-n8

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I got my hands on the Droid X today at my local VZ store. I just switched from AT&T / iPhone 4 to a Palm Pixi Plus which I absolutely love. But come July 15th I will still be within my 30 days, it's going to be very tempting! It's the first Android phone I could actually see myself owning, though I do love the size of the Pixi which couldn't possibly be more opposite from the DX. Plus then I'd have to consider paying $20/mo for the hotspot feature which I currently get free. (then again with that huge screen who needs another WIFI device!?)

I was surprised that it felt less substantial in my pocket than my iPhone 4 did. The excess of buttons on the outside was the only thing that bothered me. Somehow the camera button felt loose and "jiggly".

-n8

Its not jiggly, its just got more travel than the average button because its a 2 stage button, theres only so much you can do to stop the travel... People are always so overly critical of things...

salanester

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, but then you'd be paying nearly all of the phone price every time, no real discount, and what would you do with all the extra phones?

Craigslist has been a figurative gold mine for me and my collection of phones. With the number of people that don't want to be on contracts or just don't know how much they should spend on a phone I've been able to sell all of mine.

Deathwish238

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Don't be surprised when salesmen don't know as much as you do. They only know what they're trained. People that follow the industry or research a product quite often know a lot more than the reps.

Saying the Droid X has a Snapdragon isn't the worst thing they could say...it's pretty similar to the TI OMAP3630...though I think the OMAP3630 is a little better because of its GPU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis