Thoughts on Droid X being rootable?

mungera

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I doubt the X won't be able to be rooted... It seems like that's one of the attractive features of Droid/Android. Does anybody have a good idea if it really won't be rootable?

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Yea it will be a challenge but it will def get rooted... Custom roms on the other hand are more questionable. I think I might be ok with just root for this phone.

Ironman

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Yea not really interested in custom ROM's, however I do want the X to be rooted. And I agree it WILL get rooted, it's just time at this point. I give it a couple of months at the most.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
as an android noobie (the X will be my first android), can you explain the benefits of rooting?

Check out this article, written by Jerry Hildenbrand. He does a really good job of answering that question.

The main reason I root, is so I can: install a screenshot type program & install a WiFi tethering program, both of which are not possible without root access.

I'm not big on custom ROM's personally. So this is a non issue for me - especially between the time this phone goes on sale and the time that an official Froyo release is available for download.

GTvert90

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I know nothing about rooting but know the basics of what it is.

Did they purposely try to block rooting with the phone? Or is it just the way they ended up encoding everything that will make it harder?

Deathwish238

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Running a Custom ROM is great, I like the speed boost and extra features you get from custom ROMs. I usually run a MoDaCo Custom ROM and if I had a Droid X the first thing i would want to do is run FroYo on it.

FroYo is worth it, I love how much faster my Nexus One is on FroYo.

Last edited:

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
the thing to remember is that root and accessing the bootloader are two seperate things, while you will need root to do the latter, you can have root and not be able to flash roms still.

personally, i think i will be happy for a while so long as they can root it. with moto promising froyo fairly soon, and the droid2 rumored to be launched with it, i'll be okay with running the stock rom.

all i really want is wifi tether. i don't want to pay the $20 for the handful of times i will use it.

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
well the locked bootloader DOES NOT mean we wont get root. i am 100% sure this phone will get rooted ( every popular android phone has ). this phone will be basically taking over for the Motorola Droid. well i just got some contacts in Motorola the other day and i am going to try to get a unlocked bootloader if indeed the bootloader is locked on the Droid X. everyone that knows something about Motorola knows that there is always A TON of leaks when things of this nature happens. i am not going to let this ruin this phone for me because, i know 1. how good of devs we will have working on it 2. that infact it will be rooted and there will be a unlocked bootloader eventually.

g_b_h

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Check out this article, written by Jerry Hildenbrand. He does a really good job of answering that question.

The main reason I root, is so I can: install a screenshot type program & install a WiFi tethering program, both of which are not possible without root access.

I'm not big on custom ROM's personally. So this is a non issue for me - especially between the time this phone goes on sale and the time that an official Froyo release is available for download.

I am kind of in the same boat. Primarily, wifi tethering is what I want/need. So, when you say you don't use "custom roms", does that mean you opt for an "unrevoked" type of root, if available? And, if so, what do you do when an OTA update comes out that will benefit your phone?

Or, are you saying that you prefer just sticking with the "rooted" version of the stock ROM?

Thanks...

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Or, are you saying that you prefer just sticking with the "rooted" version of the stock ROM?

That there is what I'm saying. There are certain things that require root, but do not require a custom ROM. Screenshot apps, WiFi tethering, and AdBlock(!!!) that I really like to use. Some people like Titanium Backup, but it too requires root.

If it gets rooted, will it be a more complicated process than just dropping an update.zip onto the SD card? I'm on OSX.

That can't be answered yet. The original Droid was that way, but if you look at the Incredible, it's not as straightforward and carries some level of risk that isn't for everyone.