Droid X and video calling

cgiammona

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Even with Skype Mobile having video capability as some point, does not have a front facing camera make the Droid X unable to do video calling?

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Even with Skype Mobile having video capability as some point, does not have a front facing camera make the Droid X unable to do video calling?

I don't think anyone is completely sure on this, but one would assume that you could use the cam and shoot it at a mirror... or shoot it at yourself with the phones screen facing a mirror, so if you used a standing desk dock one could have the phone facing them, with 2 mirrors at 45 degree angles at the back of it you could be see but your phone wouldn't. This is just my theory, but it seems like it could work...

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't think anyone is completely sure on this, but one would assume that you could use the cam and shoot it at a mirror... or shoot it at yourself with the phones screen facing a mirror, so if you used a standing desk dock one could have the phone facing them, with 2 mirrors at 45 degree angles at the back of it you could be see but your phone wouldn't. This is just my theory, but it seems like it could work...

Also if using the dock you can probably have dock plugged into a tv with hdmi so when you place a call it displays on tv while camera is directed at you... This is just a ideal but not sure if device would allow this. I am considering to try this on my video system in my truck so I can drive and have calls on screen and use the mic and speakers in my vehicle and they can see my through camera in dock... I hope this is possible.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Fring will work with the rear-facing camera on other Android models, can't imagine them dropping that for the X. Realistically, video calling is a big negative in my phone assessment but if it's very important to you I'd probably either look at an Evo or hold out a bit. My guess is that most upcoming superphones will end up getting another camera squeezed into the face.

Of course if you want video calling from a stationary location (like at your desk) instead of trying to give the people at the other end motion sickness by holding the phone perhaps the mirror trick would be good for you. :D

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Fring will work with the rear-facing camera on other Android models, can't imagine them dropping that for the X. Realistically, video calling is a big negative in my phone assessment but if it's very important to you I'd probably either look at an Evo or hold out a bit. My guess is that most upcoming superphones will end up getting another camera squeezed into the face.

Of course if you want video calling from a stationary location (like at your desk) instead of trying to give the people at the other end motion sickness by holding the phone perhaps the mirror trick would be good for you. :D

I agree with the concept of being stationary but in reality I think the video calling will be a quick fad but I figured I will use mine while it is free to use it (Dont see being free lasting that long) in my truck when driving with the camera on the X on my video unit just for fun. It wont be long before carriers will add limits to data packages like AT&T because of the video calling usage. Sprint has already been speaking of data usage concerns since EVO been released..

Last edited: