more info on the encrypted bootloader

Chaos5

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
My theory on things is, things are made to be broken(cracked in this case) and I believe this will eventually be able to be done.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Trust me someone is going to figure it out real soon..

You'll see it in big print, right here on ac" saying root accsess for droid x now avaliable..

All the phones that come out on the 15th may have open platform. Those who got theres ahead of time might be locked. Motorola may not want the root access out before official launch date..

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Trust me someone is going to figure it out real soon..

You'll see it in big print, right here on ac" saying root accsess for droid x now avaliable..

All the phones that come out on the 15th may have open platform. Those who got theres ahead of time might be locked. Motorola may not want the root access out before official launch date..

While I'm sure it will become decrypted at some point, I don't believe that theres two different models, the ones already out there are production models... Sorry to be a downer, but they are... however I imagine that an OTA could possibly change it, but the programming would have to be flawless otherwise your looking at a lot of bricked phones.

Ender0715

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
X is new Iphone

I Just feel like the Droid X is a new Iphone if it is locked down were we can not use it the way we want... What is the purpose of getting it... I already have it pre-ordered at Best Buy but dont know if I should get it or not now that we know its boot loader is locked encrypted and fused...
Will this phone ever get rooted or the boot loader cracked... With a 2Ghz phone on the horizon and so many others out there by HTC and other companies that can be rooted is it worth it to get the Droid X... Why do they tease us with a phone that does so much and give us so little... Why mess with something so good... If they were going to do this they could have at least given us a completely stock phone and put what they wanted to on it as a removable application instead of destroying a great reputation of phones...
:mad::mad::mad::mad::confused::confused::eek::eek::mad::mad:

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
This thread is going to get moved to the encrypted bootloader thread, but yes, eventually it will be bypassed, and the 2Ghz phone is a rumor, so treat it as such, its not happening any time too soon.

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it will get bypassed. Look at the moto milestone. Its been out for a while and that puppy has the encrypted bootloader as well.

I don't know if its true, but I read that the roms have to be moto signed roms, so even if someone breaks the encryption, if they don't have the rom signed, it will brick the phone.

Also, all it takes is one stealth OTA update to readjust the encryption and slam the door again.

I beleive for intents purposes, its locked down for the life of the phone.

I see HTC moving towards this direction as well. Just look at how hard the desire was to root, the incredible was even more difficult and the EVO was rooted easily, but an OTA closed the door on that (it eventually got rooted again). My point is both HTC and motorola are looking to lock down their phones.

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I see your point, but I still feel like people are going to find ways... Eventually... Key word here is eventually, no telling how long but most definitely eventually.

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
The encrypted bootloader is unfortunate and has led me to second guess my decision to buy one. Which is why I joined this forum to ask more advice and insight in choosing the DX.

I think the phone is locked down sufficiently, and given that the lifespan of phones now a days are one to two years, I think the folks at XDA may not dedicate too much time and effort on such a locked down phone when there will be other phones to replace it soon enough.

Now I bought my Nexus for because it was so easy to root and install custom roms. Moving from a phone that is admittedly google's baby, to something so locked down but with some great specs. I'm in a quandry

Last edited:

homeylarry

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
i'm in the same boat, this has led to my second guessing this phone. i was hoping it would be like the original droid where you could essentially do anything to it....i still cling to my 30 day return policy :)

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
i'm in the same boat, this has led to my second guessing this phone. i was hoping it would be like the original droid where you could essentially do anything to it....i still cling to my 30 day return policy :)

Here's to hoping that another Google baby is born in th coming months lol. Maybe not a Nexus 2, but at least a brilliant stock android phone.

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Here's to hoping that another Google baby is born in th coming months lol. Maybe not a Nexus 2, but at least a brilliant stock android phone.

Not going to happen. Google has already stated that the nexus (a google designed phone) is the last as it succeeded in part to push the design of android phones. It also failed because many people were not willing to spend $$ on an unlocked phone and carriers like verizon were unwilling to carry an unlocked phone that would rob them of $$

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Not going to happen. Google has already stated that the nexus (a google designed phone) is the last as it succeeded in part to push the design of android phones. It also failed because many people were not willing to spend $$ on an unlocked phone and carriers like verizon were unwilling to carry an unlocked phone that would rob them of $$

Well I'm not saying an unlocked phone necessarily, just a stock Android one that get's faster updates.

jake21

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like the galaxy S suffers from some sort of bus issue that make it freeze periodically. Not sure if this is fixable in firmware. However, if not that would drive me nuts. Otherwise it sounds like from the limited reviews so far that the Galaxy S is a better video device (faster gpu) and the Driod X is a better phone (noise cancellation/reception/clarity). Cosmetically I think the samsung looks a little sleeker and it is lighter; the driod has hardware buttons (plus for some negative for others).

Hopefully someone will do a detail comparison of the two devices today or tomorrow :)

tpierce67

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
I still plan on getting a DX. Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that Android OS was all about freedom, open source, and the like.
It really makes no sense to me that now they want to lock it all down.......and pull a Steve Jobs on us.

This is very disappointing to say the least. Google still releases the source code for the dev's to play with and modify but it useless at this point.

It seems to me that this "lockdown" is not coming from the manufacturer, they could care less what you do once you own it. This mandate is either coming from Google, or the carriers. I sincerely hope it's the Carriers and not Google.

If it is coming down from Google then I'll officially wash my hands and move on to something else.....although, I have no idea what that would be.

sorry for the rant.

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I still plan on getting a DX. Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that Android OS was all about freedom, open source, and the like.
It really makes no sense to me that now they want to lock it all down.......and pull a Steve Jobs on us.
That's why I think many folks are upset about this.

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It seems to me that this "lockdown" is not coming from the manufacturer, they could care less what you do once you own it. This mandate is either coming from Google, or the carriers. I sincerely hope it's the Carriers and not Google.

It's definitely coming from carriers. To be quite frank, Verizon doesn't want you bypassing their system to get free mobile hotspotting and such. Also, they don't want to have to deal with people complaining about bricked phones that have been rooted.

To Verizon, it's about making more money. They don't want to waste resources trying to police people, so they lock it down and hope it keeps the problem at bay a few months longer.

If it finally gets cracked, then people root, get free mobile hotspot and the like, and Verizon had a few months of people paying through the nose for the app before it was rooted.

It's about security, but mostly money lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463