Hey Guys,

I just received the DROID X as a prize from the @DroidLanding contest on Sunday. After I received it I realized a lot of reviews lacked in depth information and just scanned over the features of the phones that really make it unique, and nobody hardly ever said anything negative about it. That encouraged me to make my own review!

I've written a 9 page review, taken videos, pictures, screen shots etc and posted it on my friends website for all to read.

Check out the review at

The Complete DROID X Review

Also, don't forget to check out the rest of his site, he's got some cool home improvement things going on

Thanks peeps! Enjoy the review!

- BlakeDC

UPDATE - The second video is now up. Check it out under THE UI and Blur section of the review. Poor turtle

Also, The radio needs the headphones in as the antenna I get it now!
    07-14-2010 08:23 AM
    well this will keep me busy for a little while

awesome stuff
    07-14-2010 08:29 AM
    Nice and detailed review
    07-14-2010 08:32 AM
    Nice job, Blake!
    07-14-2010 08:41 AM
    You sounded just like an writer for a droid blog!
    07-14-2010 08:54 AM
    just FYI, it does in fact use the wires as an antenna for the FM radio...you can play the radio over the speaker but you need to have headphones plugged in
    DroidRage79 likes this.
    07-14-2010 08:56 AM
    just FYI, it does in fact use the wires as an antenna for the FM radio...you can play the radio over the speaker but you need to have headphones plugged in
    Yes, Thanks for that info! Someone else on another blog informed me of this. I figured as much, though. Sadly, I wont be able to open the doors to my car and control my FM radio over my BlueTooth reciever now at tailgates etc

Oh well, i'll just stick to streaming MP3's
    07-14-2010 09:05 AM
    You sounded just like an writer for a droid blog!
    Haha, I really enjoy writing! Maybe this will be my new Resume :P
    07-14-2010 09:06 AM
    Very well written review, my only comment would be to add more pictures showing what you are talking about. Pictures help breakup the wall of text and keep the reader ( us ) more willing to keep reading. Looking forward to getting my Droid X tomorrow
    07-14-2010 09:28 AM
    um it is a phone, not a camera. it was seems like it was all about the camera...

i think the hdmi only shows video from in the gallery...
    07-14-2010 09:42 AM
    um it is a phone, not a camera. it was seems like it was all about the camera...

until we get an app for that
    07-14-2010 09:48 AM

Shows pictures and Videos. Fixed in review. (Didn't have HDMI to test)

Its detailed on the Camera b/c the camera is a huge change. Focused on Blur / UI b/c thats also the biggest change. I'll be reviewing phone calls and other features as I go, but 9 pages was enough.
    07-14-2010 09:54 AM
    Swype doesnt play nice with this widget, and a few other Moto widgets. For instance, if I were to type Im updating my status on the droid x with Swype, I get Im umpdatingy sotatus nmy zdroix.
    This needs to be fixed immediately.

The last feature Ill cover is the FM Radio, which I havent used, because, for some reason, Moto decided that you can only use this feature with headphones plugged in. It doesnt even let you load the application to just look at it without headphones. Im assuming there may be some voodoo going on where it uses some of the headphones to work as an antenna? Who knows?
    Yeah, all the smartphone's do this, and frankly if it reduces bulk and/or causes less interference, I'm glad they do it this way.
    07-14-2010 09:57 AM
    This needs to be fixed immediately.
    Yes, faster than immediately. I want to use that widget so badly, but i can't unless i type really really slow, so I default to Bloo.
    07-14-2010 10:07 AM
    I believe that the HDMI port also works for side-loaded content. I guess that probably goes through the gallery too though.
    07-14-2010 10:15 AM
    Yes, faster than immediately. I want to use that widget so badly, but i can't unless i type really really slow, so I default to Bloo.
    I'm trying to figure out how you can post your problem here, but I don't see a button to click to add a comment.

Edit: If you start typing the "What else can Swype do for you" box, there's a button that will show up that says "create new idea". A box pops up and you can submit your feedback that way.
    07-14-2010 10:19 AM
    Yea. i would like to have seen more on issues not commonly covered such as display handling sun light; phone usage; notifications (missed calls), multi-tasking, hdmi usage, ... this seemed more like complete review of droid camera.

07-14-2010 10:31 AM
    Uh, wow. (whistles) Thanks for the morning reading!
    07-14-2010 10:35 AM
    I'm trying to figure out how you can post your problem here, but I don't see a button to click to add a comment.

Edit: If you start typing the "What else can Swype do for you" box, there's a button that will show up that says "create new idea". A box pops up and you can submit your feedback that way.
    Sad thing is, it isn't swypes fault. It works great in all applications, browsers, notepads etc. It's just 1 or 2 of those moto widgets that it lags in. It's something about the rendering maybe? I'm not sure..but it slows the transition from swype to widget where words try to post to it at the same time and get mixed together
    07-14-2010 10:36 AM
    Excellent review, nice details.

As mentioned before, my only complaint is, it seems you spent half the review (videos included) reviewing the camera.
    07-14-2010 12:10 PM
    Excellent review, nice details.

As mentioned before, my only complaint is, it seems you spent half the review (videos included) reviewing the camera.
    What features would you like to see discussed? The rest of the phone is standard to most android devices, the camera and ui are the two unique features here but I am willing to discuss whatever you want. Phone call quality is coming later on when I have a way to record it. But I can tell you that it's amazing with the noise canceling.
    07-14-2010 03:11 PM
    What features would you like to see discussed? The rest of the phone is standard to most android devices, the camera and ui are the two unique features here but I am willing to discuss whatever you want. Phone call quality is coming later on when I have a way to record it. But I can tell you that it's amazing with the noise canceling.
    Think from a 14 year old's view: do you think the screen will be 'too' big for me with my smaller hands? I mean, I can type perfectly on a BlackBerry & a BlackBerry Storm, but I'm not so sure about the size & stuff.

Also, is the YouTube quality playback good?
    07-14-2010 03:14 PM
    Think from a 14 year old's view: do you think the screen will be 'too' big for me with my smaller hands? I mean, I can type perfectly on a BlackBerry & a BlackBerry Storm, but I'm not so sure about the size & stuff.

Also, is the YouTube quality playback good?
    The YT playback is just as good as the normal DROID, same resolution screen, just a bigger screen. Images are nice and sharp. Sound is great via the speaker, or be cool and stream it to you BT Head Unit

The size is nice to me, i have medium hands (glove size etc) and i never have a problem swyping around on it. Every now and then I hold it in my left hand and use my right for navigating, but thats only on certain incidents, like browsing, where i'm already using two hands for pinch to zoom.
    07-14-2010 10:20 PM
    Dude, this is an awsome review!
    07-16-2010 03:25 PM
    Dude, this is an awsome review!
    Danke
    07-16-2010 04:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD