03-03-2011 12:28 PM
523 ... 45678 ...
tools
    im happy with my battery life, i turn off the Bluetooth, Wifi, Locations, ect when not needed-
    my co worker's DX on the other hand was . check his out and found out BT, WF, and L were on... hes happy now-
    How easy/effective are the battery/power profiles? I mean, if I have to manually tweak all that crap based on when I feel like using it I would be quickly pissed. I have read that there are power profiles (kinda like on windows) that let you reconfigure once and then switch easily between levels. Does that work the way I would hope?
    07-16-2010 02:06 PM
    idk never tried it, i just used the widgets on/off's-
    07-16-2010 02:25 PM
    does anyone know how to make FB do Instant Notification like my BB did?
    07-16-2010 03:10 PM
    BB Pearl 8130 > BB Curve 8330 > BB Tour 9630 > DROID X

Call me a convert.
    07-16-2010 03:40 PM
    Dropping my Storm 2 for an X. Can't wait for it to get here!
    07-16-2010 03:59 PM
    I LOVE my curve!
    07-16-2010 04:06 PM
    Here's an idea, let's convince RIM that they can improve their bottom line by marketing a BBM android app. I'd pay $5 for it.
    07-17-2010 11:08 AM
    I sure am having a hard time without blackberry messenger. I had 171 contacts, most of which were work related. I'm on the phone more now and less productive it seems. But I cannot get rid of android. It is fantastic. I love being able to customize and the stability. Not pulling my battery out every few hours is also nice. I don't think I can give up the 4.3 inch screen, either. I would gladly pay rim 100 bucks for a messenger app for my X.
    07-17-2010 12:14 PM
    After being a faithful Blackberry user for a the past few years, I mad ethe jump to X and already feel as if I've always had one...I came to the realization that Blackberry as a whole is not trying to compete with the others as far as eye-catchy graphics and so forth like the droids and instead are staying focused more along the business-professional side of things...thats cool, not my style though....This X is going to only get better especially with the upcoming 2.2.
    07-17-2010 12:49 PM
    Well, like most here. I have been using blackberries for about 5 years now. I'm only 23, but have always had a blackberry and have come to realize like most as well that RIM really isn't going anywhere special. OS6 yeah it can do a few cool things, but the look of it doesn't impress me at all! So today I decided to call verizon and set up a new account with them and order a droid x. However, was told it will be on backorder till the 27th, but may come in sooner.

As far as BBM goes, I only had about 3-4 people I talked to on a regular basis everyday, which have no problem with me texting them. Other than that the only thing I will miss is the email coming so quickly to my phone. I had 5 email addresses connected and it was lighting quick. The ONLY other thing I may miss is the actual keyboard, but I did use a storm for a while before switching to a 9700 with T-Mobile.

So, my question to you fellow blackberry converters are...

1. As on all blackberries there's the LED notification light flashes red if I have a message, does that happen with the droid x?
    2. This really has nothing to do with the droid x, but rather do students get discounts monthly with Verizon?

Thanks for all the help I'm sure to hopefully get!

Nick
    07-17-2010 03:04 PM
    Jumping from a BB Tour to an X. My upgrade wasn't due until Aug. 6, but I called a Verizon rep and she got approval to move it up, so I ordered it on Thursday. Unfortunately, my order was one of the backordered ones, so I have to live with my Tour for at most one more week. Can't wait to jump into Android land.
    07-18-2010 08:05 AM
    Well, it's official...my X will arrive this week. I am so happy to be getting away from the BB...finally...
    07-18-2010 10:52 AM
    I waited in line a few hours with about 30 other people before our Verizon store opened on the 15th. I love my X. SO not missing my BlackBerry at all. Hell, I don't even miss Crackberry.com lol (I was MizzCourt on there) The processor alone on this phone kicks my Bold's butt!
    07-18-2010 11:01 AM
    Bye bye Blackberry. I'm over the battery pulls, defective touchscreens, trackballs, and crooked track pad.... RIP

Hello X. I love your huge screen, responsiveness, app choices, and quality workmanship. There's a lot of learning to do, but I'm so stoked to be on the Android boat now.

I will miss my quicklaunch, Berryweather, and Socialscope. Maybe those developers will decide to make the decision to give some Android love in the future....
    07-18-2010 12:13 PM
    I'm coming from a BB Storm (first gen), I loved Blackberry but they have a lot of catching up to do! Since I got my X on Thursday I haven't been able to put it down... It's so fast compared to my storm, plus I can have more than 6 apps! I was doing battery pulls at least once a day, it was so frustrating!

I'm happily a new Android addict <3
    07-18-2010 10:22 PM
    I will miss my quicklaunch, Berryweather, and Socialscope. Maybe those developers will decide to make the decision to give some Android love in the future....
    Socialscope is getting SOOOO good...it's the only app I miss from my Tour.

Really hope they develop an app for Android!
    07-18-2010 10:56 PM
    I have only had Blackberry phones. Went from a Pearl to a Curve to the Storm and now a Storm 2. I tested other waters when I had a Pre Plus but that only lasted 2 months before I had to go back to my Storm 2. I just ordered my Droid X today and am going to test the Android waters. I am pretty excited and think I will end up sticking with the X. I played with friends and co-workers Droids and Incredibles and really liked the experience. I liked the Pre but it had nothing outside of the awesome UI and browser. The Pre had Zero customization and Blackberry is missing the flashiness and Browser. Android however seams to have both. I Had a hard time choosing myself between the Incredible and the X. I really like the X but really liked the Sense UI.
    07-18-2010 11:02 PM
    My wife and I both have Storm 1's. I loved mine for about the first 90 days and it started going downhill from there. I've been counting the days ever since, and when the Droid X was announced, I knew I had found my new phone. The Storm is the biggest piece of CRAP I have ever used. The software is horrible. I would love to personally strangle whatever a-hole wrote it. The touchscreen is so inaccurate that it's worthless. I can't type on it, and my fingers aren't all that big either.

So far I'm loving my DX (got it on Friday). I even stole the 8GB microSD out of my Storm and put it in my GPS for some extra storage. I'm saving the Storm in case my wife's finishes crapping out. She's still happy with hers, but she's not a techie like me. The Storms ARE pretty tough though... she drove over hers with the car (accidentally) and it still works fine. Even the dead pixels on the screen "healed" after a week or so. Weird.

Anyway... man the DX rocks! So I'm here reading all the HOWTO stuff and tips....

Rob
    07-19-2010 11:41 AM
    Yet another BB-expat. Unlike the poster above I enjoyed my S1 for the most part, although it didn't age gracefully, especially as the world grows more app-centric (there were actually a lot of useful apps for BBs...too bad I could have perhaps 3-4 at most on my Storm).

I actually miss a lot of things (mostly email and BBM), and I have some undeniable nostalgia for RIM in general, but that said the DX is a far superior phone (especially as the battery issue seems to work itself out). I've voted with my dollars and am very happy with my purchase, now the pressure is on them (and/or future Android phones) to win the next purchase.

Although my toddler daughter the other day told me she liked my BlackBerry better, and that sort of broke my heart. At least I can let her play with it now!
    07-19-2010 12:20 PM
    i've been a BB user for more than 3 yrs and waited like a mad man for the 9650. Then it came out and it was still the same basic phone. browser wasn't that much better, it was still relatively slow in general, then all the reports of crooked trackpads, flaking pint etc. I gave up.

Picked up a droid X on release day and although I've always hated touchscreen phones, I really like this one. Swype is a breeze to use and the browser is quick. I can open .pdf files with no drama.

I sorta miss BBM. I miss having all the emails from multiple accounts dumped into one folder... but that's about it.
    07-19-2010 12:39 PM
    i think we should have a poll on what was the last phone used before the DX-
    i kinda wanna see how many of us used to be on BB's-
    07-19-2010 12:55 PM
    So, my question to you fellow blackberry converters are...

1. As on all blackberries there's the LED notification light flashes red if I have a message, does that happen with the droid x?
    2. This really has nothing to do with the droid x, but rather do students get discounts monthly with Verizon?
    The DroidX has a light that flashes green when you have new email. There is also the pull down notification area on the screen which is accessible from almost anywhere.

I can't speak for the student discount at VZW.

I am a former Blackberry Storm user. I do miss the email system from the blackberry but other than that, I wouldn't go back. The Droid X is so much faster and fluid. I have to break myself of the habit of closing apps like a fiend just to keep my application memory from going to zero (which was my major problem with the storm). As far as the Storm goes, the Droid X does what I did and so much more. I'm very happy I made the move.
    07-19-2010 01:03 PM
    The DroidX has a light that flashes green when you have new email. There is also the pull down notification area on the screen which is accessible from almost anywhere.

I can't speak for the student discount at VZW.

I am a former Blackberry Storm user. I do miss the email system from the blackberry but other than that, I wouldn't go back. The Droid X is so much faster and fluid. I have to break myself of the habit of closing apps like a fiend just to keep my application memory from going to zero (which was my major problem with the storm). As far as the Storm goes, the Droid X does what I did and so much more. I'm very happy I made the move.
    Thanks for the info! Now the only question I am trying to figure out is the whole discount thing for college students. I've been told by some reps it's 15% and then 1 or 2 saying only for employers discounts are available.. Anyone know?
    07-19-2010 01:22 PM
    07-19-2010 01:23 PM
    this is night and day compared to my tour...
    07-19-2010 02:27 PM
523 ... 45678 ...