The Official Blackberry Convert Thread

lemcoe9

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
We need a thread for all the former-Blackberry-addicts getting their first Android device tomorrow, the 15th.

I'm coming from 2 years of Blackberry fanboyism, and I couldn't be more excited about the Droid X.

Reactions: prometheus

DroidNewb

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
purchasing my first Android Phone tomorrow as well. Coming from a Storm 1 using my wifes early upgrade to get the X. Never thought I would leave BB but my S1 has turned into a brick. My wife is already dreading me getting a new phone because I am such a phone addict and I am in love with technology.
I am overly excited for tomorrow I cannot wait! :D

spooksmcgee

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I am really going to miss BBM and my girlfriend is furious that I am switching. I ended up setting up a gmail account solely for my Droid, so that way I don't have to worry about friends seeing me "online" at 4 AM and sending me chats. I set it to "always available" and just give it out to people I would normally give out my BBM to. Only thing that sucks about it is not being able to tell when a message was delivered/read.

lemcoe9

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm also very happy that GTalk is so excellent on the Blackberry, because I can easily persuade my BBM friends to use GTalk so they can stay in touch :)

volcom.airsoft

May 12, 2010
Visit site
That really is the only way I'm going to survive without BBM, through GTalk.

:(

I am really going to miss BBM and my girlfriend is furious that I am switching. I ended up setting up a gmail account solely for my Droid, so that way I don't have to worry about friends seeing me "online" at 4 AM and sending me chats. I set it to "always available" and just give it out to people I would normally give out my BBM to. Only thing that sucks about it is not being able to tell when a message was delivered/read.

Am I the only one that does not like BBM? O:

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I can hardly wait, so long BB....I'm never going back and wont miss BBM. Google Talk here I come. I was with BB for a year with a Tour and replaced it with a Bold which made the pain of having a BB a little easier. BB is so far gone, they are completely out of touch as to what the consumer wants. For the biz professional, I can see where BB probably still has a market, but the average consumer has way better options in Android.

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually keeping my S1 (Waiting for the S3/LTE/OS6) and I am going to be adding a line for the DX. At the rate Android is developing, I may end up leaving BlackBerry all together soon, but, for now, I am going to have both!

anon(40232)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I can't wait to get rid of this Curve 8330. It is such a slow and annoying piece of junk. I'm still upset that Android came out 1 month after I bought that thing. I am hoping for a miracle that they can give me some sort of break on pricing.

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I just want to say that I LOVE that there are so many people going from RIM to Google here. I think it's a real testament to the type of people blackberries were marketed to with Verizon, and how it really missed the mark. We were all led to believe that the Storm was going to be the answer to the iPhone, but that promise fell WAY short of the mark. We've been burned, but we've also been stuck with a contract. The release of the Droid X is timed perfectly with lots of peoples contracts ending or annual upgrades available (I'm the former). I haven't talked to a single storm owner who is happy with their phone after using it for an extended amount of time. Bring it on, Google, let's see what you've got!

lemcoe9

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I just want to say that I LOVE that there are so many people going from RIM to Google here. I think it's a real testament to the type of people blackberries were marketed to with Verizon, and how it really missed the mark. We were all led to believe that the Storm was going to be the answer to the iPhone, but that promise fell WAY short of the mark. We've been burned, but we've also been stuck with a contract. The release of the Droid X is timed perfectly with lots of peoples contracts ending or annual upgrades available (I'm the former). I haven't talked to a single storm owner who is happy with their phone after using it for an extended amount of time. Bring it on, Google, let's see what you've got!

I'm sure it was not a coincidence :)

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm leaving a Tour 9630 to join the Android Army. I sent two Tours back before I got one without trackball issues. I'm sick of how slow the phone is. It lags, it leaks memory like a sieve, the connection with BIS frequently crawls to a halt. I'm lucky if I can use the Facebook or Twitter apps for more than 5 minutes without them getting stuck loading something up.

So fed up with RIM.

I've been warning my BBM friends that they need to get with GTalk soon or they'll be wasting SMS on me from now on.

stacyadell

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

I hear ya on that one! Got my Storm when they first came out in November of 08 and without crackberry.com and learning how to install hybrids and shrink my OS I think I may have had to cough up the money for an upgrade early. I went from the Moto Q to the Storm and now its back to a Moto.

Definitely no coincidence that the Droid X and Droid 2 are coming out this summer (Samsung probably in the fall) now that we original Storm owners are ready for our NE2. They are doing it to make us happy so we don't jump ship!

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure it was not a coincidence :)

Definitely no coincidence that the Droid X and Droid 2 are coming out this summer (Samsung probably in the fall) now that we original Storm owners are ready for our NE2. They are doing it to make us happy so we don't jump ship!

I hadn't thought of it that way, but it makes total sense. Verizon, you're full of geniuses! And I'm falling for your tricks!

tduffysd

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I've carried blackberry phones for several years. I'm replacing my Tour with the Droid X. The only thing I'm going to miss is BBM. While the BB was a solid messaging device, it's OS was getting old and boring and lacked a browser that was usable. I'm sick of the constant device updates that might fix one thing but break another. I've had enough of the trackball issues.

volcom.airsoft

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Leaving the BlackBerry life, selling off my Tour & Curve is going to be easy. I think it is BS that RIM's BlackBerry OS has never differed.

OS 4.0- the basic building blocks.
OS 4.5- a good upgrade from 4.0, bringing new features.
OS 4.6-4.7- a minor upgrade from 4.5, some new devices/features.
OS 5.0- not as cool as you'd think, STILL THE SAME DAMN PHONE. It looks just like freaking OS 4.5 if you ask me.

OS 6.0- not even supporting most of the devices.

Can't wait to say "buh-bye" to my Tour & hello Droid X.

VDoubleUVR6

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Both my wife (Curve 8330) and I (Storm) will be leaving our BB's for Android devices. She'll be going with the HTC Incredible and I on the other hand will be going the Moto Droid X route.

As others said, we'll both miss the BBM but easily fixed with an instant messenger client like GTalk. I actually can't wait for the Droid X as I'm fed up with my Storm and lack of storage for apps/emails/messages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995