The Official Blackberry Convert Thread

Dee710

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking of switching from BB Bold to DroidX, searching and reading every comparision I can find. I use the MemoPad in BB heavily, I glad you posted a similar app to fill this gap. This is exactly what I needed to review, looking forward to more posting as you become more familiar.

Saiyaman156

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You are the first person I have ever heard complain about this...lol. One of the biggest reasons to switch is the number of apps in the market.

It is an overload. There is such a thing as too much. Look at the Apple market. There are probably 2,000 fart applications. Do we really need that many?

Maximaniac

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm still using the Tour, I have to wait about a month before I can upgrade. :(

I was curious if the startup time for the DX is about the same, or faster than the 8+ minutes the Tour takes to start?

I don't have the phone yet because it's still on backorder, but from the videos I've seen and reviews I've read, the DX (and most, if not all android phones) start up time is much faster than any BB. I have a Storm and it takes about 5 mins for it to boot up after a battery pull. Just thinking about not having to do batt pulls at least once day makes me so excited to get this!

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm still using the Tour, I have to wait about a month before I can upgrade. :(

I was curious if the startup time for the DX is about the same, or faster than the 8+ minutes the Tour takes to start?

The DX boots soooo much faster than the Blackberries, a few minutes at most. Feels like lightspeed in comparison

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to switch from the Tour to an Adroid device come December. However, like most users of the Tour, I have never had a mechanical problem with either of my Tours (one personal, and one issued by the Gov't). My problems have always related to the software updates I was conned into trying. I have always dropped back to the original 4.7 and will remain there until I dumped the phone.

The other reason to switch is due to the browser being slow slow and the small screen.

My boot times are about 3-4 minutes, and using quickpull I have only had to do a battery pull a few times.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Awaiting my X after a couple years of the BB Storm 1 (dont laugh)
Can't wait to try the X. Should be here next week.

I made the same trip. Honestly, the Storm gets a bit of a harsher rap then it deserves for a 2 year old phone IMO (assuming you have OS5 running on it), but it can't hold a candle to the X IMO. Although do plan to get a non-stock email client if you use anything but Gmail.

Saiyaman156

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I made the same trip. Honestly, the Storm gets a bit of a harsher rap then it deserves for a 2 year old phone IMO (assuming you have OS5 running on it), but it can't hold a candle to the X IMO. Although do plan to get a non-stock email client if you use anything but Gmail.

Though the stock gmail client does lack copy and paste...

screenname#AC

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Blackberry had better stop resting on the laurels of push e-mail. Picked up DX on the release date and am totally blown away and impressed. I can do everything on the DX I could do on my S1 and more. If they don't step up soon it will no longer be RIM it will be RIP.

tallydawg#AC

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Blackberry did it better

IMO, of course.

1. Facebook Notifications - The android app provides no notifications if someone has replied, messaged, etc. Blackberry would pick up those with ease. Hopefully the facebook app by android will do this soon.
2. Twitter - android app needs some work. Took me forever to figure out how to find a specific person I was following that hadn't tweeted in awhile.
3. Sound profiles - This shouldn't be relied on by a app. This should be built in really. It was very handy to be at the office and if I heard a specific tone, I knew the importance of a message (ie: a text vs a new tweet). If anyone comes across a good app that provides this, let me know.
4. Multi-tasking - Since this is my first Android, I may be doing something wrong. But with BB, I could hold the menu key down (similar to alt-tab in Windows) and switch over to another application I was working in. I have to hit back back back, or home, then re-open the app. Too many steps to open up a program that you were just working in.
5. Closing apps - Why not make it mandatory for all apps to have a 'Exit'? I have come across some that have done such, and it lets me know that app is now CLOSED. But some I exit and I wonder "Did I really exit, or is it now running in the background?"
6. Organizing - VZW pushes out apps that I have no interest in. BB allows the ability to hide a icon. Further, you can create folders and move apps into that specific folder so you don't have to see them. Very clean.

If anyone has apps that perform these functions, let me know. Number 4 would be EXCELLENT if you could place the apps you are working on, in the Notification area. So that if you wanted to switch apps, pull the notification area down and touch specific app to switch.

Adontain

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, you can do folders. Press empty area on a screen then touch folders. Then you can drag different shortcuts in there a la iPhone

heraldo

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I don't use twitter but everything else spot on. But i know if i hold the home button down that it will bring up last 6 used.

tallydawg#AC

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, you can do folders. Press empty area on a screen then touch folders. Then you can drag different shortcuts in there a la iPhone

What I'm trying to accomplish is removing icons from the list of applications by sorting them and placing them into folders. So instead, when I go to a list of all applications, I'll see a list of applications and folders. Within some of those folders are more applications.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I have not tried the folders thing. But another thing I have noticed is that you cant arrange the icons in the menu screen. I tried holding it down to move it around, and every time it switches to the home screen to put it there. Am I doing something wrong.

TallyHo

Junkie
Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
What I'm trying to accomplish is removing icons from the list of applications by sorting them and placing them into folders. So instead, when I go to a list of all applications, I'll see a list of applications and folders. Within some of those folders are more applications.

You need to change your thought process here....

I am a long time BB user as well and this is my frist DROID. Think of the long alphabetical application list as a foilder in itself. It is just a laundry list of everything you have installed in alphabetical order.

Now think of you main home screen as your main screen on your old BB. Each additional home screen now acts like a folder.

For example:

On my BB I had my main screen that had all the apps I used the most. On my DROID X, this is now my main homescreen

On my BB, I had 4 folders.... Apps, Tools, Games, Media. On my DX, those "folders" are now my other homescreens with specific apps and widgets on those screens. In addtion, if I have too many apps to fit on those screens (old BB folders) then I create a new folder on that homescreen to further organize my apps.

At first, I was very frustrated at the lack of organizational abilities for apps, but now that I have this down, I really like how the android system is laid out. Plus, this gives me room to use some of the widgets as well.

I use awd.launcher instead of the moto launcher. It gives me the ability to choose my number of homescreens as well. right now, I only have 5, but if I felt the need to expand my categorization, then I could up that to 7.

Also.....try a program called AutoAppOrganizer. It runs int he background and stays in your "ongoing" list in your taskbar. It's pretty awesome for organizing your apps into categories. It does it automatically and you can override it's choices and pick your own categories. I use this method as well as my homescreen organization.

Hope this helps......I know it has made my android experience much better.

and yes, the FB and twitter notifications are a total fail on android.

BTW.....nice name :)

CrashPush

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
IMO, of course.

1. Facebook Notifications - The android app provides no notifications if someone has replied, messaged, etc. Blackberry would pick up those with ease. Hopefully the facebook app by android will do this soon.
2. Twitter - android app needs some work. Took me forever to figure out how to find a specific person I was following that hadn't tweeted in awhile.
3. Sound profiles - This shouldn't be relied on by a app. This should be built in really. It was very handy to be at the office and if I heard a specific tone, I knew the importance of a message (ie: a text vs a new tweet). If anyone comes across a good app that provides this, let me know.
4. Multi-tasking - Since this is my first Android, I may be doing something wrong. But with BB, I could hold the menu key down (similar to alt-tab in Windows) and switch over to another application I was working in. I have to hit back back back, or home, then re-open the app. Too many steps to open up a program that you were just working in.
5. Closing apps - Why not make it mandatory for all apps to have a 'Exit'? I have come across some that have done such, and it lets me know that app is now CLOSED. But some I exit and I wonder "Did I really exit, or is it now running in the background?"
6. Organizing - VZW pushes out apps that I have no interest in. BB allows the ability to hide a icon. Further, you can create folders and move apps into that specific folder so you don't have to see them. Very clean.

If anyone has apps that perform these functions, let me know. Number 4 would be EXCELLENT if you could place the apps you are working on, in the Notification area. So that if you wanted to switch apps, pull the notification area down and touch specific app to switch.

As a former long time Blackberry user and new Android user I agree on everthing you posted. The thing with me was that I was so tired of the Blackberry and the Android is fresh and interesting for me right now.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante