The Official Blackberry Convert Thread

nmDXaddict

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Just converted from a blackberry 8330. Loving the phone so far and still learning. Never thought I'd leave BB but man, this is kick A$$. Will get used to not having push email as my company isn't on exchange, but oh well. Wasn't big into BBM, but all my contacts went Droid last year... :p

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
nmDXaddict,

Try either MailDroid (what I use) or K-9 Mail. Both are quite good... IMO, better than the stock email and provide a very push-like experience.

Scott

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Tell me about K9 mail. I've read a lots of pros--and cons--about it.

I don't know of any cons, it's always been a solid app for me, though I doubt I'll use it any more. The main reason that I did use it was because you could send an email from your phone via K9 with an alias "from" address (so that your email was not from xxx@gmail.com). Now, the native gmail app lets you send it "from" a drop down list of any from addresses you have set up in you gmail account on line.

lauranelli

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
BB to Samsung Fascinate

Just got my Fascinate Friday and I can't put it down. I have had BB for 3 years, Pearl, 8330, Tour, and I thought leaving it would be hard, but the faster browser, better apps, and etc on the Fascinate have made the switch easier!!! Lots of my friends in the last few months have gone Android, so I finally took the plunge! ;)

DK1102

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Sad about leaving BB as I still have a bunch of friends who use BBM. But Im just tired of RIM dragging its feet on the development of the consumer or non-business aspect of their model. You make great business products, but for crying out loud! Create a separate consumer division with its own consumer based OS! Adapting the business model isnt working.

I also just want something new. Droid X on Saturday. Cant wait.

AllenA07#AC

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok well I guess I'll join this thread. I'll be the first to admit that I'm (though not for much longer) a bit of a Blackberry fan boy. I called Tmobile a few hundred times in order to get them to give me my Curve 8900 two weeks before release, and I loved that phone. When the Torch was announced I was sold on that being my next phone, and I was so sure that OS 6 was going to turn Blackberry around and put them back as the top smart phones. Then sadly reality hit and I actually saw the Torch, after playing around with it a little bit I started thinking about jumping over to Android (no interest in going to the Iphone). Finally on Monday night I left my beloved 8900, and switched myself to the Droid X. My wife jumped from the Pearl Flip 8220 to the Incredible.

I hate to admit it but in the last 2 days of playing around with my X, it makes my support of Blackberry seem misguided. I really was unaware just how far behind the rest RIM was falling. Honestly I thought that it was normal for websites to take 2 minutes to load on a phone, I had no idea that there were phones that could be this snappy. I loved my 8900, but the difference in technology between it and the X is just as big as it was when I went from my dumb Nokia flip phone

saynt j

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I switched from blackberry not too long ago... Following 2 catastrophic software updates on a S2 and Tour. The final straw was when I woke up late for work and looked at the phone to see why the alarm didn't go off, to see "App Error 532" or similar.... That was the end of blackberry for me.

Now I'm just a little annoyed with myself for not making the switch sooner.

Sent from my DROIDX

cloud92

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I so agree

I switched from aprx 8 or 9 yrs as a BB user! I have had almost every device with alot of carriers! At last i was with VZW with the curve, storm 1, tour, storm 2 back to the tour when i finally jumped to the DX! I will never look back again! this DX does more than i could imagine and i love it! i will not fall back to the behind dated RIM!

I recently switched from my S2 after having an S1, and I got so so sick and tired of endless leaks and constant updates that did little, not to mention waiting 10 minutes.. yes.. 10 minutes to reboot. I managed to convince my wife... barely... to upgrade with me to her first smartphone, and I can honestly say there are 1 or 2 little and I do mean little things I miss. Mind you, no OS is perfect, but Froyo is so much closer than RIM/Java could ever be.

I have no regrets, and I do not miss my flawed, glitchy and SLOW S2. My DX annihilates it.... I absolutely love the video playback and camera and the apps.

RIM... my advice, if you are going to try and make a consumer device, make one. Dont half-@$$ it...

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

when I woke up late for work and looked at the phone to see why the alarm didn't go off, to see "App Error 532" or similar.... That was the end of blackberry for me.

Sent from my DROIDX

heh, that seems to happen too often. I just had an Error 517 a few days ago (hardware error) EXACTLY when i hit "send" to reply to an email on my storm1.

Back in July I had Error 528. Happened same way, picked up the phone from the night stand and nada.
Both these errors produced a white screen of death as they say. Keep in mind my device is kept in great conditions, has not been soaked or badly dropped etc like others I hear about. I wasn't worried since I back up my device and those 2 times I was relatively ok.

The thing that boggles my mind is that I didn't believe that to reload the OS would be such a process (at the time). Of course I went thru reading much info from forums and even learned how to wipe, shrink and load a shrunken OS on to the berry. Being with a storm1 you have to shrink your OS if you want a tiny bit of app memory left for simple and small sized apps etc.
What boggles me is that not everyone knows to turn to forums to help tackle their issues. I do not expect majority blackberry users to know how to "tune" their devices - AND I do not know how RIM did expect this.

Im not on an android device yet... just waiting for the vzw LTE devices to come out so that I can use my NE2 which could have been used a few months back already.

I'm appreciating reading these posts btw.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Former BB Tour user (Palm Treo and Moto Q before it). After seeing all the android apps available on my brother's Moto Droid, I got jealous. Kept waiting for BB OS6, and finally gave up. Got an early upgrade from Big Red to a Samsung Fascinate and never looked back. Sold my Tour for $60, and done forever with BB.

I love my Android. Over eighty apps and custom launcher. Take that BB! :cool:

Portista4581#AC

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Former BB Tour,Storm 2 and Bold 9650 user. Finally got tired of the long reboots, freezing up and lack of apps. I just got the Droid X and absolutly love it. so glad i made the switch.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I went to the DX then back to bb storm since certain things didn't work out. But then I hated more and more my storm 9550 and went right back to DX. My storm took about 10 mins from reboot to unlocking the screen. It was bad. I deleted all my apps and phone rebooted quicker but still pretty bad.
Got the DX with motorola's extended battery and battery life is awesome. Heavy usage and off the charger for close to 12 hours with 40% left.

ray6712

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
well Im back been through the S2 to the X then to the Fascinate, left that for the Inc now im coming back other than a few problems with the camera none of these phones hold a candle to the X. And I went through all of them thats why Im coming back

dde

May 22, 2010
Visit site
You need to change your thought process here....

I am a long time BB user as well and this is my frist DROID. Think of the long alphabetical application list as a foilder in itself. It is just a laundry list of everything you have installed in alphabetical order.

I use awd.launcher instead of the moto launcher. It gives me the ability to choose my number of homescreens as well. right now, I only have 5, but if I felt the need to expand my categorization, then I could up that to 7.

Also.....try a program called AutoAppOrganizer. It runs int he background and stays in your "ongoing" list in your taskbar. It's pretty awesome for organizing your apps into categories. It does it automatically and you can override it's choices and pick your own categories. I use this method as well as my homescreen organization.

Hello! thanks for mentioning "AutoAppOrganizer" and LauncherPro in the same post, because I have a plan to make them share information/cooperate: So launcher should display the organized folders from AutoAppOrganizer so from the launcher you can have all your apps categorized and foldered.

is it a good idea?

daddy9azz

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Hello! thanks for mentioning "AutoAppOrganizer" and LauncherPro in the same post, because I have a plan to make them share information/cooperate: So launcher should display the organized folders from AutoAppOrganizer so from the launcher you can have all your apps categorized and foldered.

is it a good idea?

It's a great idea. I have a ton of apps and the auto-organizing really reduces the clutter in placing things like games on my LaucherPro homescreens. Plus, you gotta love the options to customize labels and icons as well. Something else to try is Folder Organizer, it allows you to categorize bookmarks, quick dial contacts, and more, as well as apps

Reactions: dde

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair