Droid X Forum Member Initial Thoughts & Reviews

kroman1107

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I love this phone for many reasons. Size function etc. However i am one of the few having the problem with it freezing and auto booting. I just talked to a rep who told me i was the First to complain of this she went on to say she hasn't gotten this kind of complaint on the d inc or d x. I find this hard to believe when i see numerous posts complaining of the same thing. I also didn't like the alternative. Wait 3 weeks for a replacement and put down the payment till they get this one back. Seems more of a pain in the but then the freezing up is.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Seeing as how this tread is titled ?Initial thoughts and reviews? I figured being about 24 hours into X ownership was a good time to share my initial thoughts. I?ll start by saying when I first heard about this phone I immediately dismissed it as being too big, and I had my mind made up that I was getting the Incredible. The more I read about the X however, the more interested I became, so before placing my order I figured I might as well go take a look at the two phones side by side. I could not put the X down.

Aesthetics ? Yes, this is a big phone. The size is going to take some getting used to, but it is certainly comfortable to hold in the hand. It is ridiculously thin and the placement of the camera hump is perfect for the way I hold the phone.

Screen ? The screen. Its big, its beautiful. Lets face it that was the first thing that attracted all of us to the X in the first place. I have a VZW anti-glare protector on the screen, and am considering removing it?.it just doesn?t look right?those of you with one know what I mean, right?

Hardware ? The phone feels sturdy. Real sturdy actually. Very well built, yet still light and easily pocketable.
Phone ? Call quality is great. I do not use Bluetooth, but the speakerphone is loud enough.

Overall User Interface- The UI is going to take some getting used to for me. Coming from a Blackberry, its just a learning curve. It seems smooth, and it is ridiculously fast.

Motorola Widgets ? Widgets?you seem fun, but again going to take some getting used to. I like that I can resize them and move them around where I like. The stock clock and weather widgets are kind of ugly though?good thing there are about 5,000 to choose from in the market.

Signal quality (Compared to other devices) ? the signal is just as good as my Blackberry was.

GPS ? So good. I use it to locate me on WeatherBug, and I think its pretty cool that you can see the location in picture details.

Social Networking ? sorry, but I might be the only person in America without a Fecebook. If I want to talk to you, I do, and if I don?t want to, well?there ya go.

Email/Calendar ? Email works as you would expect. People say Blackberry is the best for email, however I really haven?t noticed much of a difference. So my yahoo mail isn?t pushed, instead it checks every 15 minutes. To me, that?s not a big deal at all.

Battery Life ? Seems good so far. Yea, I?m that guy who takes it out of the box and just uses it (I know, I know) so yesterday I ran the thing all the way down. I will say, if your battery gets down to 5% you better get to a charger quick. Might as well be dead when its that low?

Performance ? Fast doesn?t do it justice. I didn?t use my laptop to surf the web yesterday, part because of the new phone excitement, and part because my phone really might be faster?.

Media (music, movies, DLNA) ? I have nothing of value to add here at this point. Sorry?

Swype vs. Multi-Touch Keyboard ? The multi-touch keyboard is enormous in landscape mode. I?m a heavy texter and I flew through messages without error. Swype?you?re a little tricky, but with some more practice I?m going to master you. I do rather enjoy it?

Camera (both still & video) ? I have two kids, so the 8mp camera and HD recording options were big for me. I honestly refused to take pictures with my curve because the camera was awful. The shutter lag was brutal, and with a 2 year old and 4 month old I would totally miss the shot by the time the thing took the picture. The X camera is amazing. The photos look great, and the shutter speed, although not instant, is still very good. I like the camera button. I know some people aren?t crazy about it, but it works the same way as my Canon digital camera, so again for me its great. I did take one video, only about 15 seconds, and the quality is excellent. I look forward to using this more.

How the X compares to your previous smartphone (if applicable) ? I don?t think its fair to compare the curve (8330) to the Droid X. The X literally does everything better. Everything. This is understandable though, as its brand new and the Curve is a very old device at this point. There was a point in time in which I liked my Curve, but the annoyances just became too much to deal with. Slow browser, horrible camera, some apps took forever to open/load, and obviously battery pulls, and then waiting about 5 minutes for the phone to start up after said battery pull.

In short, the X does everything you could ever want in a portable device. I can not think of a single reason not to get this phone if you are in the market for a new one. Even the size, which again is BIG, should not be a deterrent. The phone is so big because the screen is so big. There really isn?t any wasted space in the design of the phone.

VolMan37421

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I posted in this thread just a few days in to using the phone. I've had it for two weeks now and could not be happier. I know some reviewers have stated this phone is for more "tech savvy" people and that it's not as easy to use as the iphone. Well, for me, I love the fact I can control so much of the way the phone looks and how the menu screens are arranged. Of all the comments I made in my initial review, there isn't anything that has changed my opinion that this is more than a great phone, it is a great entertainment device. I sold my iPod Touch and now use the X as my music player. I truly cannot tell the difference in audio quality, as, to me, the quality of the sound is based in the headphones, not the player. And, now that I've discoverd Isyncr, I'm pleased with the migration process for my music and videos. After two weeks, I can also say this is the best sounding phone for calls I've ever had. I've been on Verizon for years and of all the phones I've used, this is the best. I've used the Moto Devour and had complaints from people I called about the quality. The incredible got no complaints from others, but my reception was not as good as on the X. I downloaded a movie using blockbuster and was shocked to find it took no longer than downloading one with my itouch via wifi. The quality is great, just wish they were a bit cheaper and had a bigger selection. That said, they are no more than those on itunes.

Bottom line, I am thoroughly happy with my choice. It is a wonderful thing to be able to all the things I want to do during a normal day, which is listen to music and make calls. The X has even brought me into the world of social networking and has made that very easy. To sum up a post that's probably way too long, I love the X and recommend it to anyone interested in a super phone!

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
A year ago I got my first smartphone, a BlackBerry Tour. I was amazed with what it could do at first even though I could barely see it, zooming in to make things easier to see was a real pain. I found the browser to be another pain to use, but it was a lot better than my old dumb phone.
When Verizon sent me the email telling me I could upgrade to the Droid X early I checked it out and thought HMMMM this may be something I would really like.

Well I've had my X for 3 days now and I have to say it is everything I hoped the BB would be and way way more.

I know this phone has been marketed to appeal to young tech savy people and it's great but I wanted to let older people know that it's for us too. I'm a 62 year old woman and I am fairly tech savy, maybe a bit more than most in my age group.

I love this phone and I feel that I am up and running and understanding how most things work in about 2 days. I am already quite comfortable with it and doing more with it than I did with my BB.

Yesterday I used the actual phone for the first time, with my BT headset and the call quality on both ends was stellar, better than any phone I have had. I live in an area with a lot of poor signal areas and there was no call dropping (at least not so far) and this was with a 5 or 6 year old Jabra heatset.

I still have a lot to learn like getting my mp3's on it and I haven't tried the car dock yet, but I am more than happy with this phone.

wmourer

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
How Stupid is Moto Droid X --> Imagine every other phone Verizon sells automatically corrects/capitalizes the words "I", "I'm", "I'll" "I've" but no, not the Droid X. So when you send out an email quickly you look stupider than a 1st grader. Hmmm. Seems Verizons premier phone would at least do the basics even a Blackberry, iPhone, and even a cheap kids phone will do.

I've talked with Verizon about this and they basically say "too bad / so sad" and it's not their phone, so I should call and complain to Motorola. Hmmm. I didn't cut the gazillion dollar deal with Motorola, maybe Verizon should talk to Moto about basic functionality and not pawn that off on someone their "customers".

So, look for my Doid X to be on e-Bay and my account to move to T-Mo or Sprint. What an attitude to cop when their own high end junk can't do basics. Oh by the way, try it in Swype, it works there, unless you "type" and don't "swype" then it doesn't correct them. Love the consistancy of the product. Clearly rushed to market because Apple was breathing down Verizon's neck to compete.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
A little effort on your part is all it would take to get the capitalization you desire

additionally on the multi touch keyboard opinions are given to you above the keyboard...once again take half a second and just tap the one you want

jasoncardenas21

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My Detailed Review of the X

Well, here is my review, copied from PM's template. As some of you know I came from a Blackberry so some of this is in comparison to the BB.

Size

The overall size of the phone was a little bit scary while reading the reviews, especially since I thought my BB Tour was big. After getting the phone, the screen size was amazing and I absolutely love how thin the phone is. I even thought the ?bump? where the camera is located might be an issue, but to me, it adds to the design of the phone. I even have a case on it and it still fits in the holster with no problem. The 4.3 inch screen is just a great thing to look at and I love it. As long as I?ve used my iPod Touch, I?ve always said that I couldn?t imagine having this with the ability to make calls. Now, I pick up the iPod Touch and just let the kids play with it. I?ve already become use to the X and the iPod just seems way too small.

Rating: 10/10
Importance to me: 8/10

Screen

I never really looked at the AMOLED, Retna or any of the other screens to compare to, so in this section, I am just going to compare to my iPod Touch and Blackberry and I find the screen to be clearer than both of the, especially when it is on 100%, which is not too often, but even when I have it on 11%, it is still good enough for me to do what I need to do. I have used this as a ?show-off? part of the phone with the movie UP and everyone seems very pleased.

Rating: 9/10

Android OS

Let me just start this by saying that the Blackberry never WOWED me. The iPod did a lot of neat things, especially after it was jailbroke, then I really liked the features of that OS. Android is a great OS. It does everything that I wanted a phone to do and more. It is a lot better than I expected it to be. I was expecting a stripped down version of the iPod, but it?s not. Within 2 days of owning the phone, I was WOWED. I love the multiple home screens with widget capabilities. BB just didn?t do it for me. I?m more of a gadget guy and someone that really likes to tinker around with things. I love everything from the notification panel to the ease of use around the settings and other features. I do look forward to Froyo for some new changes too. Some of the settings are difficult, i.e. ringtones, different notifications, but once you realize how to do it, it?s a piece of cake.

Rating: 8.5/10
Importance to me: 10/10

Email

In all honesty, email isn?t that big of a deal as I?ve always had gmail for personal use and I don?t rely on emails so it?s not huge. The gmail has been perfect as long as it is set to auto-sync. Once again, love the notifications but for me, email is good for what I need it for.

Rating: 8/10
Importance to me: 7/10

Keyboard

This was the biggest adjustment for me coming from the Blackberry. After using the Blackberry keyboard, I became an avid fan of the auto text feature that is part of the BB OS. For me, for some reason, the stock android keyboards spacebar seemed small and I kept missing it. I found an app that took care of all of this. The app is called FireKeys Ultimate and I ended up purchasing it as the unlimited version lets you create an infinite amount of auto text entries. Now, I would have to rate it a 9, but with some practice this may go up to a 10.

Rating: 9/10

Media Player

I haven?t been completely satisfied with the Media Player. My main problem is having to take the phone out of the holster, turn it on and then pause it via the screen. It would be huge for me if while the screen was turned off, you could press the camera button for a pause button during music play. That has stopped me from listening to a lot of my podcasts/stern. I also tried double twist and all I have to say is that it is alright, nothing too special. It was deleted off of my computer and X. The one app that I really like though is DoggCatcher. You can set the settings to automatically download your podcasts as they come available and I love it. It?s nice that you can look down and low and behold you have a new podcast to listen to. This app does use battery though, so I would recommend to have it plugged in during the downloading of the podcasts. If the camera button was the pause button, this would be a 9. I also would like to set your mp3 to remember their position when it was paused the last time.

Rating: 7/10

Camera

The Camera is good for bright light shots, sometimes the focus lags a bit, but I didn?t buy this phone for the camera. I already have a nice point and shoot and a D80 SLR. I do have to say that the camera is better than I expected for bright light shots and the additional settings in the camera are great. The panorama mode is one of the best features that I?ve seen on a camera, yet alone a phone. Dark shots and shots with the flash aren?t great, but they will be fine for what I would use it for.

The Camcorder, now that?s a different story. The camcorder on this phone is better than my original camcorder that I did use. Sure, it eats battery, but the quality is AMAZING. I took a video of my friends golf swing and it is perfect. Also, the positions of all the mics and the ability to change which ones are the primary focus mic?s are great. The camcorder rating alone has to be an easy 10/10

Rating: 7/10

Battery Life

Judging on my first battery, this is the worst part of the phone, I would give my battery that came with the phone (which was a lemon) a 2/10, since I got a new one, we won?t address the old one.

Since installing of the new battery I have been fairly satisfied with the battery. It takes me through what I need to do to get through a day, but if I want to do anything extra, I had better bring a charger along. This is one of the setbacks with Android phones. One key feature that BB has and I think would be wise if other smart phone creators did would be to build a holster that when you put the phone in it, it put it to sleep.

I feel that the Android OS has completely caught up to iOS4 and any other OS for that matter, however, someone needs to make a battery that will hold up the phone and all of the features that comes with it. It the battery life were better, I can honestly see some people switching from the iPhone. As far as I?m concerned, the battery life needs to be drastically improved for Android to succeed.

Rating: 6.5/10

Apps
I always tell my kids to accept change and get use to it. Remember, change is a good thing. Coming from the App Store to the Android Marketplace was definitely a change and I have definitely learned to accept this change. The biggest and best part of Android Marketplace is the ability to purchase something and get a refund within 24 hours. If I could have done that in the AppStore, I would have returned a lot of those purchased apps. I would have to say that the apps in AMP are almost equal to the ones in the AS. Just like anything, if you do your research and read the reviews you will find out whether or not you are wasting your time. Some of my favorite apps that I use are the following: MLB At Bat, great for any baseball fan. DoggCatcher for the podcasts, Battery Graph for monitoring your battery, Dolphin Browser is a killer browser, just wish I could figure out how to wrap the text, FeedR for my RSS Feeds, the previous mentioned FireKeys Unlimited, JuiceDefender to save your battery life and control your 3g, Handcent SMS for texting, it just beats the stock Text Messenger. Shazam for identifying songs on the radio and Astro File Manager. Those are my favorites, and I think the best one has to be JuiceDefender, I will still use it because it works.

Rating: 9.5/10

Misc Stuff
Navigation feature on this phone is better than my Garmin. Another thing that I think has been overlooked is that the accessories are also great. To be able to get an HDMI dock, the Car Dock and all of the other stuff is pretty damn cool.

I really like the physical buttons too. It?s nice to have a touch screen phone and you actually have to push a few buttons to do things.

I also love the notification panel on the phone.

Summary

Very nice phone, I have no regrets about switching from BB and making this my first Android phone. For once my patience has paid off. I will not be sending this back and know that this phone will keep me happy for 2 more years, but when that 2 years is up, I?ll be ready to get the newest 64 ghz phone with 1 tb of built in memory that runs the current Mac OS and Windows OS, but until then, I?m happy.

Overall Rating of the phone: 9/10

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Very thorough and excellent write-up! To give it better visibility, I'm going to append it to the review sticky. You'll notice the sticky has almost 14,000 views, so people definitely read it :)

DroidXGuy

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Before I begin my brief review of the Droid X, I am providing some background information to put my review in the proper context. I’m an Android newbie and have only had my Droid X for a week, although I’m no stranger to technology. I’ve been working in the I.T. field for 14 years and am currently a Senior Systems Administrator (AD & Exchange). My previous carrier for the past nine years has been AT&T. I’ve used Blackberry’s for the past seven. I recently left the BB Curve 8900 for the Droid X. The Blackberry keyboard has been a major part of my wireless life, and it was hard to let it go and transition to a virtual keyboard. I hope this review will be helpful for others interested in the Droid X.

I think it’s a sleek looking device. It’s nice and thin, even though it has a hump by the camera, it’s still an extremely thin device. The carbon or metal frame is very comfortable to hold and shows minimal fingerprints. Of course, the screen is big and vibrant. Its sheer size makes it an attractive device. I like the fact that it’s somewhat rectangular in shape; this makes it comfortable to keep in a pocket (although I dislike carrying it in my pocket).

When I initially got the Droid X, I almost returned it and went running back to my Blackberry. I didn’t think I would get used to the increased screen size. What can one say…It’s all screen. It’s a beautiful screen at that. The images are rich and crisp; the video is sharp and flowing. I think the 4.3 inch screen is an excellent addition to the Droid lineup. After two days of “playing” with my Droid X, I can honestly and easily say that once I used the 4.3 inch screen, there is no going back.

The processor is superfast and video renders extremely quickly. I have not experienced any video lag at all. The phone calls are crystal clear and the audio from the headset (ear piece) is excellent. I think the ringer could be louder and the speakerphone could be a little stronger. The Bluetooth works extremely well. I have it connected with the integrated system in my car and I have no problems. The address book downloaded quickly and the sound quality is superb. The Wifi transition is quick and smooth. When I arrive at work in the morning, the Wifi connects to our access point before I reach my office. Then when I arrive home from work, the Wifi connects to my home router before I get in the front door.

The 3G data service and signal strength indicator is problematic. The 3G seems to drop and switch to 1X more than 50% of the time. What's also very interesting (and upsetting) is that I have yet to get "full bars" on my Droid X. I have yet to drop a call, but I have not seen full signal strength. Now, I know the next questions: "Are you in an area which has good cell coverage?" The answer is YES. I have a standard Verizon flip phone and an AT&T flip phone, both get full bars in my home and at work. This is very strange and seems to be a software issue. Although, I’m no expert, that’s what it looks like. I really hope it gets resolved soon, very soon. This is a major problem and needs to be addressed quickly.

The Email was a bit of a letdown. It does integrate well with Exchange, but it could be a little faster. Since I came from a blackberry, I enjoyed the many features it had to offer. I am unable to find a way on the Droid X to sort email messages by sender or subject. This is frustrating because oftentimes I like to perform a mass delete via subject or sender. This should have been taken into consideration when developing Android. It’s such a small but powerful and useful feature; hopefully it will be fixed with Froyo. One thing I could not do on a Blackberry; separate work contacts / calendar when it was connected to the BES. I also like the separate Corporate Directory shortcut (the lookup option on the Blackberry) for accessing the corporate GAL. I do like the way in which I can easily attach a file to an email. I also like the way it separates the corporate and personal email accounts and contacts. It’s pretty easy and intuitive.

Widgets are really neat; I have several configured and like them a lot. I especially like the news feeds and gallery widgets. I do not participate in social networking so I have nothing to say about it.

The music / media capabilities are awesome. I copied all of my mp3’s to the Droid X and got rid of my previous mp3 player. It works great with the headphones and sounds really good. I like the media skins it uses while music plays. It could offer a little more straight forward organization, but other than that, it’s fine.

The camera takes crisp and clear pictures. To optimize the camera’s performance, I suggest making use of some of the scene selections settings, etc. The HD video capture is phenomenal. I made a ten minute video at the beach and the colors were crisp and vivid. I was very impressed with the quality. One very important thing: if you shoot in HD mode and then play it on a non-HD video monitor, it looks washed out and grey. That’s why it gives you the option to change the video resolution. It really makes a difference. If you connect it up to your HDTV, you will not be disappointed – it’s amazing!

The battery life really stinks. I get a little less than a day out of my Droid X. I bought the car charger and an additional charger to keep at work. When the price of the battery comes down, I’ll by an extra to keep at work. Also, I wish there was a vertical case available like Blackberry uses. The side case is way too big, and keeping it in my pocked is very uncomfortable. I hope someone comes up with one soon.

There is a lot more to comment about, but I’m still learning at the moment. This is a great phone with seemingly endless capabilities. I hope Motorola and or Verizon will fix the 3G data issue and signal strength indicator. If it did not have these two issues, this phone would be perfect. For now, in my opinion, it’s almost perfect. I hope this was useful. Enjoy your Droid X’s !

Last edited:

bobniborg

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Here's mine after taking it on the road for 4 days after just getting it. I am coming from an OLD flip phone samsung A707 (samsung sync I think it was called)

[*]Aesthetic
Nice looking phone. I like the curve for the camera.
[*]Screen
Big and the res is good if you don't zoom in too much (the iphone4's is better, but this is as good as you will need). I do not like that the home page's dont switch to landscape view (though I know it has to do with the # of rows and columns. I also dont like the the landscape only goes one way (with the power charger down, so I cant stand the phone to watch videos without engineering something)
[*]Hardware
Runs fast... though I still see some lag on some things that I shouldn't... like unlocking the phone.
[*]Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage
no problems with the phone, haven't used the bluetooth or speakerphone
[*]Overall User Interface (including Moto's Launcher)
I like whatever it is (droid software or Moto whatever). I still seems to have a lot a apps crash or fail to start. But a restart of the phone fixes all.
[*]Motorola Widgets
confused me at first. My wife had the droid and I was working with it for a few days before I got the X and they didn't have the different widgets (android versus motorola). I use the quick contact one, the photo one, and that is it, everything else I use android widgets or apps. Both work fine, though there are android apps that do the same.
[*]Signal quality (Compared to other devices)
no change. I went from an ATT phone to Verizon and I haven't noticed a change.... guess ATT is better in my area than most. In fact, my in-laws ATT phone had reception in a camping location that I did not :( They made fun of me :(
[*]GPS
Works like GPS should. GREAT for out of town stuff. I had to download the around me app because google wasn't the greatest at finding a restaurant around where I was, but then I just went to maps and found an update. The navigation and traffic layer are great. As is latitude for me and my wife so we can see where the other is.
[*]Social Networking
It auto sync'd with facebook. I love that on my contacts page I can slide right and see the recent posts for anyone. I don't use facebook much but that part was pretty cool.
[*]Email/Calendar
email works as email. I use gmail so there were no issues for me. Very short lag on receiving the message on my phone. Calendar I have yet to dig into, planning on using it for the first time and maybe I will become organized (holds breath)
[*]Battery Life
WAS HORRIBLE for me. Then I turned of GPS and its great. GPS EATS YOUR BATTERY. Task killing is over rated. Also, I hate that the "battery use" function told me that my display was using 90% of my power rather then showing me that GPS was using it. Is there a more accurate battery usage app?
[*]Performance
no problems, runs everything... because its new. hope they don't advance processors to fast, would be nice if 1 stays as the "base" for a while.
[*]Media (music, movies, DLNA)
Music player sucks. No way around it. My old phone was far superior. Cant get it to bring over itunes playlists and play them on shuffle mode. I am now on app number 15 to find a program. double twist, itunes agent, and a few others all failed. I just want 3 different sets of songs (playlists) so that I can pick one of those three and then have it randomly play songs from that list.
I haven't done much else with movies or such.

[*]Moto Widgets reviews
like the quick call contacts
[*]Swype vs. Multi-Touch Keyboard
first time using an onscreen keyboard. The size of the phone helps so much... I have no problems. Took me a little bit to adjust, but now I text and google search just fine.
[*]Camera (both still & video)
Camera is over rated. Takes poor low light photos. It works great out doors but all sorts of issues with inside pics. Video is awesome though!
[*]How the X compares to your previous smartphone (if applicable)
I didn't have a smartphone, my wife had the droid that I played with for a few days before this and I like the X better
[*]Disappointments (if any)
Camera quality

ferniesp

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Some thoughts after owning every droid under the sun.

To make a long story short, the Motorola X is the best android on the planet. Period.

I could add to the list of what some of the threads list but I decided not to. For me, it has met and exceeded my expectations. To be clear about this...when I first bought this, the phone was a bit iffy for me because of the battery but since the update, I have zero complaints. I am just a very satisfied customer right now.

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Some thoughts after owning every droid under the sun.

To make a long story short, the Motorola X is the best android on the planet. Period...

Seconded. I have never had a phone this reliable, solid, feature filled, bug-free and fast. The Verizon network also destroys AT&T (my previous carrier) locally. Simply the best electronic device I have ever owned.

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
How Stupid is Moto Droid X --> Imagine every other phone Verizon sells automatically corrects/capitalizes the words "I", "I'm", "I'll" "I've" but no, not the Droid X. So when you send out an email quickly you look stupider than a 1st grader. Hmmm. Seems Verizons premier phone would at least do the basics even a Blackberry, iPhone, and even a cheap kids phone will do.

I've talked with Verizon about this and they basically say "too bad / so sad" and it's not their phone, so I should call and complain to Motorola. Hmmm. I didn't cut the gazillion dollar deal with Motorola, maybe Verizon should talk to Moto about basic functionality and not pawn that off on someone their "customers".

So, look for my Doid X to be on e-Bay and my account to move to T-Mo or Sprint. What an attitude to cop when their own high end junk can't do basics. Oh by the way, try it in Swype, it works there, unless you "type" and don't "swype" then it doesn't correct them. Love the consistancy of the product. Clearly rushed to market because Apple was breathing down Verizon's neck to compete.

Swype capitalizes just "I" whether you type or swype. But who types when using swype.

I love my DX.

Last edited:

ncbabe26#AC

Jul 25, 2010
www.twitter.com
How Stupid is Moto Droid X --> Imagine every other phone Verizon sells automatically corrects/capitalizes the words "I", "I'm", "I'll" "I've" but no, not the Droid X....

You must have gotten one of the few that don't do it. My X capitalizes it every single time...even when I try to go back and make it lowercase, it refuses to leave it that way. But like kj11aw said, it's not hard to hit one extra button to capitalize your I's.

I, too, love my X.

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Okay, two days into my DX experience, coming over from an iPhone 3G.

I like it alot so far! It definitely takes a bit to set up, especially contacts, and some of the user experience bits are a touch rough around the edges compared to the polish in iOS... but...

the customization is fantastic! Widgets were one of the key reasons I jumped from the iPhone to Android and I love their flexibility. I also think some of the Motorola widgets are actually quite nice (I like the quick contact widgets a ton, and I like the one-tile weather widget for its unobtrusiveness). The whole resize-em-on-the-screen part is fantastic.

I got Exchange up and running without a hassle, all the google apps (Mail, Talk, etc) work fantastic, the screen is gorgeous, i'm pretty much happy all around.

RVH1951

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
After a day, I'm not sold... Yup, the screen is amazing and the browser works really well under WiFi, but as a phone, well, it sucks.

Where are the simple things that have been in phones for twenty years like speed-dial keys? How come when the phone rings I have to swipe, rather than have it answer on a touch of the screen? (Or, at least an option to do so).

Why did they change the metaphor from directories/subdirectories to SEVEN home screens with apps sitting behind them? And, of course, I can find no documentation that describes that metaphor.

Why do they have apps, widgets (Motorola and Android, like I care), and shortcuts? And, of course in the 68 page "manual" (that reads more like a marketing brochure) they don't tell you which is which.

Here's an example, my POP3 mail is an app/widget/? which sits behind a folder/app/widget/? called Messaging. How in the world to I get my POP3 thing to my home screen.

I want this device to do two things primarily, make and receive phone calls, and keep me connected to my email. Twitter/Facebook and all this crap about social networking is fine, but in this product they have taken the front seat while the real, productivity apps like mail and phone, are reduced to second class citizens.

I'm sure I'll get over all this and in time learn how to do these things, but, for the time being, I find this thing all form and no function.

If anyone can help me out and point me to a tutorial that explains some of this stuff, please let me know.

Thanks for listening.

Bob

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
After a day, I'm not sold... I want this device to do two things primarily, make and receive phone calls, and keep me connected to my email.
Bob

A BB might be a better fit for you. Sounds like you've gotten a Porsche when what you NEEDED and wanted was really a nice stable family sedan.
:)
Not condescending, but just trying to be truthful. An X is a powerful "device"...not just a phone.

RVH1951

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
But, a Porsche is still a car

no offense taken, I don't know why it's too much to expect these things to be a phone first, and a a powerful device second.

A Porsche is an unbelievable car, damn fast, nimble, and sporty.

I think the analogy might be more that the X is like a van conversion camping wagon that, yes, is a car, but, it doesn't do that very well, but it does a whole lot of other things really well.

You might be right though on one thing, if the X is meant for the heavy Twitter/Facebook crowd who keeps their contacts in Facebook, and not an address book, then, you're right, it's not for me. I'm an adult who wants a real tool, not a toy.

I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Bob

PS, one of the the reasons Google became the leader in search (even though at the beginning it wasn't even their search engine), is that their UI was so ridiculously clean and simple. Then they design the Android OS which couldn't be further from that. I expected it to be cool and funky, but not cludgey.