Poor Motorola Droix X battery life?

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ferni, that's been more or less my results (although the battery life was improved today...if not ideal) but what I don't understand is that every review I read commented on the improved battery life vs the recent HTC's. It's not like I'm asking for it to make it more than a day, I'd just like it to survive for 14-16 hours under moderate load.

That said, I got about 12 hours today and at times I'm still downloading and surfing a lot, so an extended battery (either Moto or aftermarket) would probably get me there, and I already plan to buy two when they come out. Still, I don't understand the discrepancy between the reviews and many of the user experiences posted here (mine included).

ferniesp

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Ferni, that's been more or less my results (although the battery life was improved today...if not ideal) but what I don't understand is that every review I read commented on the improved battery life vs the recent HTC's. It's not like I'm asking for it to make it more than a day, I'd just like it to survive for 14-16 hours under moderate load.

That said, I got about 12 hours today and at times I'm still downloading and surfing a lot, so an extended battery (either Moto or aftermarket) would probably get me there, and I already plan to buy two when they come out. Still, I don't understand the discrepancy between the reviews and many of the user experiences posted here (mine included).

Reason for many results is that when these new phones get announced, the hype is huge. It gets bigger then life and people really get pumped and excited for the next new kid on the block. When a phone truly fails, it doesn't take long before people start seeing the light and post different results. In no way is the X a failure, it may be a failure for me if the extended battery doesn't meet my expectations. For me, I cannot use the X with just a standard battery....thats just me. I would rather downsize the screen and go back to the Incredible which I really do believe is the better overall phone.

Matt Kline

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Same here about the reviews being so good. I hope the update will fix this issue. I am starting to think that Motorola handed out better batteries in all their review phones.

problem0atique

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I've had my X unplugged for about 6 hours now with moderate use (txting, some surfing, a few pics, a 2 minute video,a couple short calls facebook/twitter/rss/engadget widgets active) and i just hit 80%. I wish i could share the love with you guys :/ Lets hope the update fixes this issue.

jvanwinkle

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
2 days and the phone with minimal to moderate use has lasted 12 hours before hitting 30%. I've used my iPhone the same amount and it's at 70% still. Gonna give this so called conditioning period a couple more days but if this is the gist of what it can do it's going back sadly. I want off the iPhone so frigid bad it hurts but I refuse to be a juice monkey tethering my phone at every opp or turning off wifi and gps when I'm not using them. I want them on and everything to just work. At some point the phone should just work and I shouldn't have to learn how to make it work to get through a casual day. Hoping to god a couple more drains and charges and it will suddenly last a full day with 50% charge left but starting to lose hope.

With all due respect, you can't say that at all.

You can say YOUR battery life sucks, but plenty of other people are reporting great battery life.

Mine included. Over 30 hours between charges.

I used mine for music in the truck tonight solid for over two hours, plus have used GPS, text, downloaded apps, played games, messed with ringtones, pictures, videos and it's been over 13 hours and mine just hit 50%. It won't budge while I am asleep so by the time I get a warning it will be around 30 hours sometime tomorrow.

I make sure GPS is off when not in use, and have tried to keep the social networking crap from running as much as possible.

The fact that I get such good battery life may have led to me finding a glitch. I'll check tomorrow but it seems the battery clock (time off the charger) goes back to 0000 after 24 hours because yesterday when I hit 30 hours it said 6, but it could have been a one time thing.

Last edited:

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
You have to remember that a lot of people are heavily using their phone this first couple of weeks because of it's newness and coolness factor and as people are trying out a lot of features, downloading here and there, frequently messing with settings, and so on. So everyone's phone is probably undergoing more use than usual.

Personally I've had close to 12-13 hours at least of moderate to heavy use including frequent installing and uninstalling of apps, heavy use of the camera to take pictures, and generally passing the phone around work for people to play with.

Mudvayne622

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
My battery life was greatly improved today. 15 hours off the charger with what i would call very heavy use(google maps for about 30 minutes, facebook browsing, emails, browsing, downloading, at least 35 txts) and im only at 50%. Maybe the problem really is just some batteries need to be broken in.

rjdangerous

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I testing things out this morning, had smart mode on so the data turns off after 15 minutes. Unplugged for 5 hours not being used at all I just checked and it's 70%. Thats is terrible to me.

Some people are reporting after 8 hours of moderate use they still had 80%? WTF! (not calling you a liar) Just not my case.

Another guy had 30 hours? If my phone stayed at the same discharge rate it would die in 16 hours and thats on battery saver mode not using it..

Something is weird

bladerunn3r

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
to a large degree it may just be relative. Hard for me to say how many hours I am getting, but I am very happy, primarily for one reason - it lasts much much longer than my incredible did. Im guessing im getting 30 percent more with x. the dinc destroyed my battery In 8-10 hours of moderate use. But this is just my personal experience with the two phones.

andron

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
My problem seems fixed

My Verizon rep installed ATK on my X when I picked it up. I read through the task killer posts and decided to remove it. Since them my battery is doing much better. Went to bed last night with it at 80% and after a good amount of use today, including shooting a 5 minute video, it is now down to 60%. That's the only thing I've changed on my phone, so I don't know what else it could have been.

jvanwinkle

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
So I am at 1 day 2 hours and 30 minutes since it was on the charger last (26.5 hours).

My battery is at 40%

Display 57%
Cell Standby 24%
Voice calls 12%
Phone Idle 6%
Camera 2%

That is on PERFORMANCE with what I would consider moderate use. I even used GPS on it this morning too in order to take advantage of the app that finds the cheapest gas in town (store I hadn't heard of).

So it looks like it's gonna be about 30 hours again before I have to charge it.

IDK what is going on with other phones, but my battery is doing great IMO. 30 hours is alot to me for the things the X will do.

I am doing nothing special to the phone. I am very new to android, about a month actually. My last phone was Windows mobile (workable but awful compared to Android).

I just noticed another thread where they were asking if people with poor battery performance lived in an area with marginal reception. This may be the answer. I have good service here at home and my phone stayed at 50%, never budged between the time I went to bed and the time I got up this AM. Others are saying it drops to 70% in 5 hours without touching it.

I can vouch that searching for service will kill any battery. I worked in one hospital that would kill an old flip top battery in one day searching for service. I had to carry my charger there because of it, even for my flip phone.

Last edited:

derpudel

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I live in a town with only 2 towers. How does one know if the phone is constantly searching for signals? On my Eris, I really don't feel the signal read-out is all that accurate as it jumps around all the time, going back and forth between 1x and 3g. Usually, there are only 1-2 bars, rarely any more than that.

Itlan#AC

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
My battery has not been hot the last 2-3 days. In effort to try and fix it I may have found a pseudo fix. Normally I run with wifi and gps on, like I do with my iPhone. Today I turned off the gps and have been using it just the same. 6.5 hours in the battery is at 80%. If this holds up and at 13 hours Im at 60 or even 50% I'd take that. As opposed to yesterday 13 hours in I was at 30 or 20% forget which.

So even though I had the gps on and wasn't using it maybe it drains the battery in a bad way. I know the evo had an ota that helped with battery mgmt so I suppose a software fix could also optimize battery usage/life on the X.

Will see tonight if I can make it to 13 hours at 50%. I suppose I can learn to disable gps when not using it if that's what it takes for me to get a full days use. We'll see!!!

paulinbna

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Last night i had the 40% to 5% to off in about 3 minutes thing happen today it has gone down about 30% in 90 minutes.

I even turned the display down to about 20% and the cell tower position off.
I went out and bought another battery from VZW, as I don't have access to a plug at work.
I personally think the phone should of shipped with the largest battery possible before the thickness changed.
Hoping some one makes a 3000 plus battery. I really don't mind the extra thickness.

Paul

Iria

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I got mine Friday at 1PM. Charged 'er up. Started installing stuff at 3PM. Did NOT charge before today. Currently have 40 percent battery. That's pretty darn good, and includes syncing emails all that time ... granted, I haven't been using it as a phone during that time :)

Iria

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Last night i had the 40% to 5% to off in about 3 minutes thing happen today it has gone down about 30% in 90 minutes.

I even turned the display down to about 20% and the cell tower position off.
I went out and bought another battery from VZW, as I don't have access to a plug at work.
I personally think the phone should of shipped with the largest battery possible before the thickness changed.
Hoping some one makes a 3000 plus battery. I really don't mind the extra thickness.

Paul

I'm expecting Seidio to offer extended batteries as they have done for other devices like Nexus One and Evo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21