Droid X and upgrade problem

av8solo101

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
My contract ends Sept 2010 and I thought Verizon said at the Google I/O that we would be able to upgrade to the X if our contract ends this year.

Well, while wishing I could afford the X now, I tried to order it but was only given the option to pay full retail. There was no way to select the 1 or 2 year contract price. I called big red V and the sales rep said I would have to wait until September if I wanted the contract price.

Does anyone know if it's my memory that messed up? Didn't they say upgrades would work as long as the contract ends this year?

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My contract ends Sept 2010 and I thought Verizon said at the Google I/O that we would be able to upgrade to the X if our contract ends this year.

Well, while wishing I could afford the X now, I tried to order it but was only given the option to pay full retail. There was no way to select the 1 or 2 year contract price. I called big red V and the sales rep said I would have to wait until September if I wanted the contract price.

Does anyone know if it's my memory that messed up? Didn't they say upgrades would work as long as the contract ends this year?

Keep calling and ask about upgrading to the Droid X and tell them about the promotion. Some of the reps know but it seems like some of them don't, so you just gotta keep calling :)

I found one that knew about it so don't let up!

Tifoso

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
There was conflicting information given at the press conference. They clearly said anyone with a contract expiration in 2010 could upgrade. But apparently they are limiting it to those who don't currently have a smartphone on their line.

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
There was conflicting information given at the press conference. They clearly said anyone with a contract expiration in 2010 could upgrade. But apparently they are limiting it to those who don't currently have a smartphone on their line.

Thats weird...

They said they would be able to do mine if my contract ended this year (I had bought a Droid)

myriad46

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

Isn't THAT a bunch of crap?!?!?!

Exodus885

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

Well I just logged into myverizon and I had to pay full retail for my storm1(ends 9/02/10) and still had to pay full retail for my brother's samsung gleam(flip phone, ends 12/14/10). So I don't know what is going on, best bet is to call verizon and complain to them so they will let you upgrade.

fuzzy#AC

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
my girlfriend went to the store today expecting to buy one...she is eligible for an upgrade in october...they told her the upgrade date is different from the contract date...and her contract isn't up until Feb......and wouldn't let her upgrade

now this sounds like a load of BS to me

any ideas?

geekpimpfx

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I bought a BB Tour last year at the end of August. I called sunday to complain that it was a garbage phone, they asked if there was anything I was interested in, I mentioned the Droid X, after some haggling and threatening to pay the ETF to get an iPhone on AT&T they caved and offered it to me for $299 w/ the MIR of $100. Stinks I still had to pay for shipping and didn't get the instant rebate, but I mostly got what I wanted.

just make sure you instill in them that it's cheaper to pay the ETF and jump carriers than to buy the phone out of contract, that will usually get you what you want.

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
You might be running into an account issue. I remember when I got my V710 awhile back I had to pay full price for it because it was on a business account even though my previous phone and the phone after it they didn't have an issue discounting me.

But this is my understanding of Verizon and their deals. If your on NE2 you can upgrade every 12 months at the 2 year rate but your contract is extended to 2 years from that point. At Between 20 months and 24 months (when the contract has expired) after the purchase/extension, you get an additional discount for going 2 years without a new phone. If you got your smart phone prior to some time last year it is probably $100, if it was after that date its $30 or $50 dependent on the plan you have.

myriad46

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I wrote an email asking for more details and here was the response...

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website. My name is Lewis and I would like to thank you for contacting us regarding being able to upgrade to an Smartphone with Verizon Wireless including the Motorola X if your contract end date ends before 12/31/10. I know the importance to find out about the terms and conditions of a promotion that we are running for a limited time only. It would be my pleasure to assist you with your account.

This promotion is offering a customer a Smartphone at a promotional price if your contract end date ends before 12/31/10 and not eligible for an upgrade now. If you agree to this promotion, it will extend contract for another 2 years and if you were eligible for a New Every Two. The date would reset and start over. This offer is only for a limited time, and if you can go to your local direct store or contact Customer Service at 1-800-922-0204

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34