If Phone Becomes Laggy...

miamifin33

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
What is the proper way to reset this phone to free up some memory or reduce the lag? On the blackberry I used to pull the battery. What should I do on an Android phone?

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
if your phone is lagging, its usually because you are running a lot of processes. try deleting some widgets off of your home screen, or not using a live wallpaper if you are using one. you dont (shouldnt) have to do battery pulls on android

miamifin33

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
if your phone is lagging, its usually because you are running a lot of processes. try deleting some widgets off of your home screen, or not using a live wallpaper if you are using one. you dont (shouldnt) have to do battery pulls on android

Ok thanks. Just out of curiosity, does it actually hurt the phone to pull he battery?

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
it isnt recommended. wont brick your phone or anything, but it isnt a fix-all like it was on BB (i know, i had a curve for a year). this brings up a good question though: anyone figure out how to reboot this thing w/o powering down and powering back on?

miamifin33

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
it isnt recommended. wont brick your phone or anything, but it isnt a fix-all like it was on BB (i know, i had a curve for a year). this brings up a good question though: anyone figure out how to reboot this thing w/o powering down and powering back on?

That's basically the question I'm trying to get at. Thank you for asking it lol

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I believe there was some kind of application for that. Called fast reboot or quick reboot or something like that. I think all it did was kill all the running applications and then start everything back up just like a reboot. I haven't used it though so I don't know too much about it. I did have an application that actually did reboot on my Droid but it might have been root only.

bandroid

Jun 15, 2010
www.twitter.com
yeah the display model at the store was running laggy as hell, i figured people had tons of programs open, but android is supposed to deal with that with its built in task killer. so it gave me pause. but i still got it.

exchanged my DINC on the 30th day for it. :)

i couldnt deal wit hthe capactive buttons any more, they were ruining my landscape experience with my large hands always accidently hitting them while playing games ARGH!

Speedr117

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
ATK (Advanced Task Killer).

I've found that when my X gets sluggish, killing all of the "non-essential" apps really helps. I think a reboot would only help if the core apps/OS had a memory leak, which I haven't noticed...

SBC44

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Touchscreen unresponsive

I just received my DROID X from UPS this morning, and during activation and setup the touchscreen becomes unresponsive. I have tried it about 5 different times over the last hour, and every time it will work for a while and then become unresponsive. I can turn the screen off and on with the top button, but that doesn't solve the screen issue, and I have to end up doing a battery pull to turn it off.

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem, I couldn't find anything using the search. I guess I will be going back up to the Verizon store, sure hope they still have some in stock.

:mad:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Read some of the above posts, and also try doing a hard reset and starting fresh. Don't add all of the accounts it prompts you to add. Just add your Gmail account. See if you still experience lag at that point. Then, one by one, go in and start configuring the other accounts. During the initial sync it will be laggy while it syncs. It shouldn't be, but in my experience it was. I've yet to see an Android phone where so many people reported this, so there's clearly a firmware issue that Motorola needs to address.

alphanu22

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Read some of the above posts, and also try doing a hard reset and starting fresh. Don't add all of the accounts it prompts you to add. Just add your Gmail account. See if you still experience lag at that point. Then, one by one, go in and start configuring the other accounts. During the initial sync it will be laggy while it syncs. It shouldn't be, but in my experience it was. I've yet to see an Android phone where so many people reported this, so there's clearly a firmware issue that Motorola needs to address.

lol this happend to me yesterday when i activated my phone. i loaded all my emails accounts, fb n such and my DX went OMGOMGWTF... let it do its thing 10mins later it <3 me all fast n such-
now if i did that with my Storm2 it would be a battery pull fer sure...

SBC44

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site

It's not really a problem with being laggy, the touch screen is completely not responding to my touch. This is a different issue that the other posts are referring to.

My local store was out of X's (of course) so they are having to ship me a replacement. Luckily the lady that helped me took some time and was able to get me one sent out now and I should have it Monday. I was afraid I would have to wait until the 23rd.

Itlan#AC

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
It's not really a problem with being laggy, the touch screen is completely not responding to my touch. This is a different issue that the other posts are referring to.

My local store was out of X's (of course) so they are having to ship me a replacement. Luckily the lady that helped me took some time and was able to get me one sent out now and I should have it Monday. I was afraid I would have to wait until the 23rd.

Your not alone! See: http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-x/22809-screen-issues.html

Post#18 has some basic tweaks I did which might help with this a bit. But I haven't played nearly as much today as I did yesterday with the phone (trying to actually work today!). The only other thing I can think of is make sure to reduce or eliminate any widgets or homescreen items that auto update. For me the default news app seemed to really help the phone when I dropped it out.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
You can also try to install spare parts from the market on top of being able to change your animation speeds it gives you an option on setting your process management. If you don't mind things closing after you exit set it to aggressive. That's allways worth a shot I would rather use apps like this than task killer's. Let your phone decide what's a hog and let it end the process

Last edited:

SBC44

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Your not alone! See: http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-x/22809-screen-issues.html

Post#18 has some basic tweaks I did which might help with this a bit. But I haven't played nearly as much today as I did yesterday with the phone (trying to actually work today!). The only other thing I can think of is make sure to reduce or eliminate any widgets or homescreen items that auto update. For me the default news app seemed to really help the phone when I dropped it out.

Thanks! That definitely sounds more like the problem mine is having, but mine started doing it straight out of the box (even before activation). I have figured out that every time the screen times out, or even if you turn the screen off and turn it back on, the problem occurs. My temporary remedy for this has been to turn the screen time out to 10 minute intervals, which is not an acceptable solution to be sure. VZW sent me a replacement out which should be here Monday though, so at least that will tide me over until then.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
I haven't rebooted my phone since I picked it up on the morning at launch day and have had no lagging. IMO, if you have to resort to a task killer then one or more of your apps are misbehaving. I never used one in the eight months I had my droid and will not use one with my X as there is no point to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech