Preloaded Software Question and Task killer options

jbmoby

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I have getting mine this afternoon via FedEx and I got a few questions for those in the know with Android and the DroidX.

1 - What all is on there already from Moto/Verizon thats bloat? (nfl app, blockbuster, etc)

2 - I have read that a lot of the crap/bloat fires up automatically and a lot of people are not seeing the snappiness expected (flashbacks to my storm 1 from Nov 2008, *shudder*). What is firing up?

3 - What do the apps show up at in ATK or similar manager progs? I am new to Android but feel confident in my ability to use a program. I just need a bit o' guidance. :D

I hope this is helpful for a lot of newbs such as myself.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Skype Mobile, Blockbuster, and all the Motoblur components like Social Networking and widget components. There isn't any NFL ppreciate pre installed.

Edit: Amazon MP3 and CityID are also loaded and running.

Last edited:

jbmoby

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Skype Mobile, Blockbuster, and all the Motoblur components like Social Networking and widget components. There isn't any NFL ppreciate pre installed.

Edit: Amazon MP3 and CityID are also loaded and running.

What is CityID?

So all this i could knock out with ATK if I don't need it? When do they start back up (without me opening them of course)?

I see conflicting stuff and not know who coming from a BB (like me) or are Android vets, I just want to be clear on my maintenance needs (is this just the storm 1 for 2 years talking?).

Thanks again.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
CityID is a program that matches incoming calls to a city and state and displays this information in the caller ID window. Great idea but unfortunately it's subscription based and costs 2.99 a month if you want to use it. Android doesn't require active task management like Blackberry does. This phone runs fine with those services running. I would suggest reading the task killer sticky and then form an opinion opinion based off the information you read in there.

jbmoby

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I will check out the task killer post.

I just thought a thread specific to what the droidX ships with and a discussion of bloat or non-bloat would be good.

Software (opinions)
CityID = bloat. Subscription software preloaded without a subscription included? Sounds a little symantec/norton's to me...

Skype = bloat. I skype with my brother in japan but without wifi support, i'd rather gchat im with him.

Blockbuster = bloat from a sinking boat.

Amazon Mp3 = bloat. I buy my mp3's only on my computer so that they go directly into my 1TB raid for media. No need to get my media scattered.

Those are my opinions and I am sticking to them.

Last edited:

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Can I uninstall bloatware? I downloaded uninstaller from the market and it still won't do it. I can only uninstall updates. I'm never gonna use Amazon MP3, City ID, Blockbuster, or NFL apps, and i don't want them on my phone.

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Can I uninstall bloatware? I downloaded uninstaller from the market and it still won't do it. I can only uninstall updates. I'm never gonna use Amazon MP3, City ID, Blockbuster, or NFL apps, and i don't want them on my phone.

Think you can only get those off with root- thats how it was with the MotoDroid

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Bloat-ware can come off with root. Unfortunately we will have to wait for that to happen.

Now, CityID as Cory pointed out is a subscription deal. If you use the the phone for a day or so, you will get a window that will pop up asking you to subscribe or continue with the free trial. I'm hoping when the trial runs out, it will quit running itself. And then when root comes, I will be removing it.

I must say, I'm a little hacked off. I left ATT Thursday and picked up the X. Part of the reason was because AT&T loves the bloat-ware and makes it difficult to get off. I had to download a 3rd party app on my Nokia E71x to remove the ATT bloatware. Now I have to root and void warranty to remove bloatware. Between that and Verizon's significantly slower 3G network, they've made an awful first impression.

Froyo and higher speed LTE network will be the only things that will keep me from going back to ATT. If Verizon doesn't catch up on network speed, I'll go right back to ATT when they catch up with high end Android devices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze