I'm pretty disappointed with the X. I didn't think it would be too big, but it is. There's no comfortable way for me to switch from the bottom (buttons) to the top (notification bar) with my thumb without repositioning it in my hand. Moto's widgets are terrible. I've been dropping calls/losing 3G in my apartment, which never happened with my Storm.

There are a lot of things I love about this phone, but they're all Android's doing.

With unrEVOked's super-easy new root method now available, why shouldn't I trade this in for an Incredible (when they're available)?
    07-16-2010 03:42 PM
    I'm having a problem with mine dropping 3G and going to 1x a lot. I'm giving it a couple days before I go to Verizon about it.
    07-16-2010 03:48 PM
    It sounds like you are an HTC lover. Some of the things you are complaining about, people love. Widgets are not a Motorola strong suit. It does sound like you would be more happy with the Incredible.

Also, I wouldn't stand for crap signal with Verizon. It might be worth taking it back and waiting a month or so to see what updates (if any) come out.

Welcome to the fun of being a beta tester. Number one perk of being the first guy to buy a phone.
    07-16-2010 03:50 PM
    If you aren't happy with the size of the phone that's a big problem and it might be better to go to something smaller ( the Incredible) especially if the larger screen doesn't make up for it

Sent from DROIDX using Tapatalk
    07-16-2010 03:52 PM
    I would say if the form factor is making the phone uncomfortable to use the way you want to use it and dropping calls is reason enough to go for an Inc. This phone definitely isn't for everyone. I'm still not 100% sure I'm going to keep it and if I do I know I may eBay it and get the VZW version of the Galaxy S.

As for the widgets, yes motorola's stuff isn't the best. Good thing is you don't have to use them and you can find great widgets in the App market. In my opinion Android phones should come in 2 versions, HTC Sense or Stock. Everyone else can lay off. Although I am hearing that the samsung touchwiz UI is sick.
    07-16-2010 03:53 PM
    I know! HTC makes ****ty hardware! How about that!

It DOES seem like the phone is too big for your hand, though. I have big man hands so reaching from the bottom to the top is no problem for my thumb.
    07-16-2010 03:53 PM
    I have had Sense forever and yeah its cool, but I'm kinda sick of it. It would be nice if you could turn it off like on Windows Mobile. To me Sense is a big reason to buy or not buy a phone (although I guess you could put custom roms or whatever on an HTC phone easier, but it bothers me when its that way out of the box). And I'm an HTC person for my last 4 phones, but maybe that's why I'm ready for a change. Also, it was such a memory hog on WM - not sure if its the same for Android in comparison to Samsung and Moto's alternatives.
    07-16-2010 03:57 PM
    I know! HTC makes ****ty hardware! How about that!

It DOES seem like the phone is too big for your hand, though. I have big man hands so reaching from the bottom to the top is no problem for my thumb.
    LOL. The hardware companies can't make software and the software companies can't make hardware. There are only 3 companies that really do both... Apple, RIM and Nokia.
    07-16-2010 03:58 PM
    Like a laptop, form factor is the most important thing right from the get go. If you're not happy with that then you're settling. Don't settle. The Galaxy S on Verizon will be pretty bad *** too. In fact, the only reason I'm leaning towards the X is because I think I'm willing to deal with the size because I like the extra screen real estate.
    07-16-2010 03:58 PM
    Yeah, my hands definitely aren't the manliest. When I hold the X, I feel like the kid wearing his older brother's hand-me-downs before he's anywhere near tall enough. And I doubt I'll "grow into" this.

Thanks for the speedy replies, all. I didn't even consider the Galaxy S...
    07-16-2010 04:03 PM
    I have had Sense forever and yeah its cool, but I'm kinda sick of it. It would be nice if you could turn it off like on Windows Mobile. To me Sense is a big reason to buy or not buy a phone (although I guess you could put custom roms or whatever on an HTC phone easier, but it bothers me when its that way out of the box). And I'm an HTC person for my last 4 phones, but maybe that's why I'm ready for a change. Also, it was such a memory hog on WM - not sure if its the same for Android in comparison to Samsung and Moto's alternatives.
    This is why the OS fragmentation has to end and it will end with Google getting Apple-like control over their OS. People have way different experiences on Android and it's mostly because of the UI on the phone and not the actual OS. This can be both good and bad. Good because people are using your device and like it and bad because the UIs are different on every device making it harder for consumers to find a device that's the most satisfying. I want the Galaxy S hardware with HTC sense but that aint happening until some roots it and loads a ROM. But I'm not doing that with my phone. So I'm either stuck with a device that's becoming quickly outdated or have to choose from other devices with less than stellar UI enhancements which could make me dislike Android.

Google..... put an end to the fragmentation!
    07-16-2010 04:03 PM
    Yeah, my hands definitely aren't the manliest. When I hold the X, I feel like the kid wearing his older brother's hand-me-downs before he's anywhere near tall enough. And I doubt I'll "grow into" this.

Thanks for the speedy replies, all. I didn't even consider the Galaxy S...
    Hopefully Verizon let's everyone know when this thing is coming out. I hope it does within the next 30 days because I might just swap the X out for it.
    07-16-2010 04:06 PM
    Yea my service has been slightly wonky (technical term I believe). I'll notice my bars dropping randomly and rebuilding up. I put my phone next to my friends evo and he had full service. I had zero bars then they slowly crept up to full...them back down again etc. I tried holding it differently since after apple's press conference I learned that more phones than the iPhone 4 give users rogue-like powers lol. Seriously though...my signal is kinda all over. I will try *82 option 2 to see if it helps.
    07-16-2010 04:09 PM
    LOL. The hardware companies can't make software and the software companies can't make hardware. There are only 3 companies that really do both... Apple, RIM and Nokia.
    Yeah, and those last two are reallyyy starting to fall behind...
    07-16-2010 04:09 PM
    HTC sense is definately a LOT smoother then whats on the X. Im a little annoyed by that too. I wish it was a smoother experience. Now if I can find some decent widgets on the marketplace, Ill keep the LauncherPro because THAT is definately smooth. THAT is how the device should be. My only complain of LauncherPro is the lack of widgets. HTC has some nice widgets, like the calender or the bookmarks for the webpages.

I definately love the size of the X. Its what I was looking for. After comparing the X and the Incredible side to side(I currently have both). I literally laugh. The screen on the X is seriously the size of the entire Incredible. It makes browsing the internet so much better alone with just its size. However, the broswer speed on the Inc did seem quicker/smoother, scrolling wise and pinch to zoom. I tried the Dolphin browser this morning and it seems pretty nice on the X.

My Main beef right now is: Wifi connectivity issue, the stock UI being slow, clunky and sluggish, the device getting hot(As did the Incredible). The App drawer on the stock experience is slow and sluggish compared to LauncherPro's. Im just stumped that Android cant get their platform down to be more smooth like the iphone even though I cant stand all the hype around that device, it DOES have a smooth experience.
    07-16-2010 04:10 PM
    Yea my service has been slightly wonky (technical term I believe). I'll notice my bars dropping randomly and rebuilding up. I put my phone next to my friends evo and he had full service. I had zero bars then they slowly crept up to full...them back down again etc. I tried holding it differently since after apple's press conference I learned that more phones than the iPhone 4 give users rogue-like powers lol. Seriously though...my signal is kinda all over. I will try *82 option 2 to see if it helps.
    All of my VZW phones, since my Storm1 have been doing that. I don't know, maybe it's...normal?
    07-16-2010 04:10 PM
    Hopefully Verizon let's everyone know when this thing is coming out. I hope it does within the next 30 days because I might just swap the X out for it.
    Doesn't look good...

According to a Verizon spokesperson, the Fascinate is still coming but they have not determined a date yet for the launch. Verizon anticipates having the phone ready by late summer or early fall, but I have a feeling it will be the latter.

Samsung Fascinate still coming to Verizon, but not for awhile Android and Me
    07-16-2010 04:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD