04-13-2012 08:32 AM
233 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Is there a way to transfer paid apps to a new Gmail account?
    08-15-2010 04:08 PM
    Bookmarked this thread, thanks all.

I'm switching from a Blackberry Tour to a Droid X (I've been an iPod Touch user for a while but I'm not switching to AT&T) and I've had some bad experiences with both Facebook and Google syncing with contacts and calendar, so I want to clarify on this. How do I get Facebook on the Droid X and NOT sync anything except pictures for the contacts that are already in my phone contacts? I don't want all my Facebook friends (and everyone's job) in my phone's contacts list. I use phone contacts as my 'real' address book and I don't want it full of fluff. If it's not possible to just add pictures to existing contacts, I'd rather isolate Facebook and sync absolutely nothing with it.

Someone posted about syncmypix earlier in the thread, should I go with that? And should I get the official Facebook app or use the preloaded thing?

Thanks!
    08-15-2010 04:31 PM
    Can someone please tell me how to forward a text message that has a picture included...I have looked everywhere and I cant find out how to do this...thanks!
    08-16-2010 10:50 AM
    Can someone please tell me how to forward a text message that has a picture included...I have looked everywhere and I cant find out how to do this...thanks!
    Longpress hit foward.if its crated can you send it to me too
    08-16-2010 12:55 PM
    Is there a way to get rid of the icon names on the home screens and in the app drawer? I want only the icons to appear...not their names that appear underneath.
    08-17-2010 04:54 PM
    what launcher are you using? i am using launcher pro and i hit the menu button then go to preferences then hit appearance settings then check the box next to Hide Icon Lables
    08-17-2010 06:13 PM
    what launcher are you using? i am using launcher pro and i hit the menu button then go to preferences then hit appearance settings then check the box next to Hide Icon Lables
    Thanks for that. I'm using launcher pro and didn't ever notice you can do that.
    08-18-2010 07:39 AM
    Thanks just tried it that way and bingo. Haven't been able to get that to work the other way they had me set it in the voice mail option

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    08-18-2010 08:48 AM
    You DO have the ability to have push email with the DX... in spite of what a lot of people in the forums think. You also have the option to follow a owner-designated "fetch schedule". If you have the push option selected, the fetch schedule will only be used if the push isn't working or unavailable.

Here's how you get to it...

Settings>Data Manager>Data Delivery>Email and Corporate Sync>Email delivery>Data Push (or Fetch Schedule).

Not that it's easy to find, but it IS there! Happy hunting!
    PhoenixMike and flightdr like this.
    08-18-2010 06:24 PM
    You DO have the ability to have push email with the DX... in spite of what a lot of people in the forums think. You also have the option to follow a owner-designated "fetch schedule". If you have the push option selected, the fetch schedule will only be used if the push isn't working or unavailable.

Here's how you get to it...

Settings>Data Manager>Data Delivery>Email and Corporate Sync>Email delivery>Data Push (or Fetch Schedule).

Not that it's easy to find, but it IS there! Happy hunting!
    Quicker, easier way to find it...email, menu button, email settings, email delivery
    08-18-2010 09:47 PM
    Haven't seen this one on here...to get some useful information about your phone, including date it was built and what is eating your battery, go to the dialer and dial *#*#4636#*#*
    kingzee and reddbon4sho like this.
    08-18-2010 10:01 PM
    Started reading through this since I got my new DX. Still have a lot of reading to do but can someone point me in the right direction for SWYPE? I searched through the market and was unable to locate it.
    thanks
    08-21-2010 11:02 PM
    Started reading through this since I got my new DX. Still have a lot of reading to do but can someone point me in the right direction for SWYPE? I searched through the market and was unable to locate it.
    thanks
    It's already on your device.

Go to Keyboard in your settings.
    albokay likes this.
    08-21-2010 11:05 PM
    why the hell does the facebook app take you to the mobile site in order to reply to a comment in your news feed but if you go to the persons page on the app you can comment within the app. Just dumb. When will we get the app like iphone for the love of android.
    08-22-2010 12:11 AM
    why the hell does the facebook app take you to the mobile site in order to reply to a comment in your news feed but if you go to the persons page on the app you can comment within the app. Just dumb. When will we get the app like iphone for the love of android.
    I agree although i think some of the recent stuff on the app upgrade are superior to that of the i phone the notification window is cool and all around setup. It feels like there's room for more stuff. Im sure its on the way but a favorites friend menu and chat should already be there. And stop directing us to the site if we.wanted to go there we would save the space on our phones and not download the app.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    DubA likes this.
    08-22-2010 12:44 AM
    Bookmarked this thread, thanks all.

I'm switching from a Blackberry Tour to a Droid X (I've been an iPod Touch user for a while but I'm not switching to AT&T) and I've had some bad experiences with both Facebook and Google syncing with contacts and calendar, so I want to clarify on this. How do I get Facebook on the Droid X and NOT sync anything except pictures for the contacts that are already in my phone contacts? I don't want all my Facebook friends (and everyone's job) in my phone's contacts list. I use phone contacts as my 'real' address book and I don't want it full of fluff. If it's not possible to just add pictures to existing contacts, I'd rather isolate Facebook and sync absolutely nothing with it.

Someone posted about syncmypix earlier in the thread, should I go with that? And should I get the official Facebook app or use the preloaded thing?

Thanks!
    If you don't want Facebook contacts in your contacts, and you don't want to worry about any of the problems that have been plaguing people with the default Facebook app, then just get "syncmypix" from the Market. It will look at all your Facebook friends and try to match them with your contacts (if they have the same name or phone number) and then replace that contact's picture with their Facebook profile pic. Once it finishes syncing, you can manually link contact pictures with contacts if their Facebook name is different from their name in your phone contacts. Syncmypix just gets you the pics, of course; you'll have to use the facebook mobile site to actually look at statuses and comments and such, but it sounds like syncmypix does everything you want and nothing you don't!
    dougofdoom#AC likes this.
    08-22-2010 01:30 PM
    I have been trying to figure out if you can actually copy and paste certain text (not links, emails, phone numbers, or anything else that allows you to do a long press over them). So say you are ready a message from your gmail and you need to copy and paste a code for something, I always could do this on my BB Storm.

Here is how to do it!!! (long but does work)

1. Click Reply, Reply all or Forward (so that you can get your keyboard to come up) If there is another way to get the keyboard up let me know please!

This is Red because I couldn't use Strikethrough

EDIT: Step one changed!
    1. Just hold down the menu button and your keyboard comes up! I just figured that one out (still new to the phone)

2. Make sure you are on Swype keyboard (Sorry dunno how to get this on the multitouch)

3. Make sure you see the keyboard and the part you want to copy! (Don't worry about seeing the compose box)

3. Put your finger on the Swype key and trace to the SYM key (right next to it) if you're on Symbols already the key will say 123/ABC

4. Hit the left or right arrow and see if you can see the cursor (not always required)

5. Hit select text and drag your finger over the text you want to select (it will automatically copy it) If the text your finger goes over doesn't turn pink then hit the left or right arrow around the select text button

6. That's it.

Just thought I would put this here because I know I am not the only one who has been looking for this information. Hopefully when 2.2 comes out it will be a lot easier.
    Smahie likes this.
    08-22-2010 09:53 PM
    I looked at this also, When I turn the wifi on, as long as there is wifi my 3G appears to be off. The reason I say this, is if you turn wifi on, then go to settings > About Phone > Status and scroll down to Mobile network state, mine says disconnected, until that is I turn wifi off or their is no wifi signal.

Let me know if you get the same results.
    I do not get cell service at work and would like to turn 3G/mobile service off and run Wifi only. Wifi easy, turning 3G/Mobile off no clue... please help...
    When I'm in my office with low signal, it switches from 3G to 1X and then eats the battery quickly. To resolve this, I put it in airplane mode (hold the top button in for a few seconds and select Airplane Mode), then go to settings>Wireless&networks>WiFi and enable it. Battery lasts all day with plenty to spare. Disable the airplane mode to get cell service again.
    08-24-2010 12:19 AM
    When I'm in my office with low signal, it switches from 3G to 1X and then eats the battery quickly. To resolve this, I put it in airplane mode (hold the top button in for a few seconds and select Airplane Mode), then go to settings>Wireless&networks>WiFi and enable it. Battery lasts all day with plenty to spare. Disable the airplane mode to get cell service again.
    It might be a little easier to put the airplane & wifi widgets on your homescreen. This way they're readily accessible when you need them.
    08-24-2010 01:48 PM
    Figured I'd ask this here instead of making a new thread:

Where should I put videos, on the SD card, so that they show up so I can play them? The video in question is a .MOV file if that makes any difference. I have a .3gp video in the camera folder and it shows up fine but the .MOV file does not so up...Any help wold be greatly appreciated.
    08-24-2010 03:37 PM
    From personal experience, the Verizon carbon fiber case will not close around the slightly deeper extended battery and its included bulging door. The leather case with kickstand will work perfectly with or without the extended its door.

For what it's worth, the leather case (which is actually leather-coated plastic) seems to have a much more solid latching mechanism than the carbon fiber one, which opened a little too easily (and sprang open when I dropped the phone from not too high a few times)--if you want to take off the leather case, it'll take some work. Also, the leather case slides around in my hand much more easily than the carbon fiber case did--I just opened it and put it on a few minutes ago and I'm actually hoping it'll gain friction as it gathers dust, etc.

Thanks for the advice, tech42er.
    09-03-2010 11:52 AM
    I'm having a hard time finding this anywhere and I did search. If I missed it somewhere else, I apologize. I started using handcent on my droid x. I get notified of new texts via handcent and via the native text messing, is there a way to turn off the native notifications and just get the handcent ones?
    09-06-2010 12:12 PM
    Yes just go to options in the native text app, go to settings and turn off notifications

How that helps
    09-06-2010 12:22 PM
    thank you! I don't know how I missed THAT but thanks for answering.

Yes just go to options in the native text app, go to settings and turn off notifications

How that helps
    09-06-2010 01:10 PM
    I have been trying to figure out if you can actually copy and paste certain text (not links, emails, phone numbers, or anything else that allows you to do a long press over them). So say you are ready a message from your gmail and you need to copy and paste a code for something, I always could do this on my BB Storm.

Here is how to do it!!! (long but does work)

1. Click Reply, Reply all or Forward (so that you can get your keyboard to come up) If there is another way to get the keyboard up let me know please!

This is Red because I couldn't use Strikethrough

EDIT: Step one changed!
    1. Just hold down the menu button and your keyboard comes up! I just figured that one out (still new to the phone)

2. Make sure you are on Swype keyboard (Sorry dunno how to get this on the multitouch)

3. Make sure you see the keyboard and the part you want to copy! (Don't worry about seeing the compose box)

3. Put your finger on the Swype key and trace to the SYM key (right next to it) if you're on Symbols already the key will say 123/ABC

4. Hit the left or right arrow and see if you can see the cursor (not always required)

5. Hit select text and drag your finger over the text you want to select (it will automatically copy it) If the text your finger goes over doesn't turn pink then hit the left or right arrow around the select text button

6. That's it.

Just thought I would put this here because I know I am not the only one who has been looking for this information. Hopefully when 2.2 comes out it will be a lot easier.
    Brilliant! thanks!
    09-07-2010 12:25 PM
233 ... 45678 ...