04-13-2012 08:32 AM
233 ... 56789 ...
tools
    I have been trying to figure out if you can actually copy and paste certain text (not links, emails, phone numbers, or anything else that allows you to do a long press over them). So say you are ready a message from your gmail and you need to copy and paste a code for something, I always could do this on my BB Storm.

Thanks that is awesome

Here is how to do it!!! (long but does work)

1. Click Reply, Reply all or Forward (so that you can get your keyboard to come up) If there is another way to get the keyboard up let me know please!

This is Red because I couldn't use Strikethrough

EDIT: Step one changed!
    1. Just hold down the menu button and your keyboard comes up! I just figured that one out (still new to the phone)

2. Make sure you are on Swype keyboard (Sorry dunno how to get this on the multitouch)

3. Make sure you see the keyboard and the part you want to copy! (Don't worry about seeing the compose box)

3. Put your finger on the Swype key and trace to the SYM key (right next to it) if you're on Symbols already the key will say 123/ABC

4. Hit the left or right arrow and see if you can see the cursor (not always required)

5. Hit select text and drag your finger over the text you want to select (it will automatically copy it) If the text your finger goes over doesn't turn pink then hit the left or right arrow around the select text button

6. That's it.

Just thought I would put this here because I know I am not the only one who has been looking for this information. Hopefully when 2.2 comes out it will be a lot easier.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    09-07-2010 12:39 PM
    I tried it all weekend, and I really can't get into it. I actually type faster tapping. I tried the demo but it just got annoying. It's just not for me.

You Tube Swype...

I tried it at first and I'll say that it's worth the effort to practice...

I'm a Swype 'ing fool now.
    09-08-2010 01:16 AM
    X2, I was a swype hater, now I'm addicted
    09-09-2010 11:05 AM
    Nvm. I prefer the minimum scrolling speed set on 100 on LP.

Also, it's better to disable wallpaper scrolling when using live wallpapers. It makes the home screens run smoother.
    09-10-2010 09:06 PM
    I had no idea that the DX kept a clipboard history, but if you long-press on a text input field and then select "Paste from clipboard", there it is. Sweet!
    mountainman likes this.
    09-11-2010 05:36 PM
    I LOVE the clipboard. Saves me so much time!
    09-12-2010 06:15 PM
    Haven't seen this one on here...to get some useful information about your phone, including date it was built and what is eating your battery, go to the dialer and dial *#*#4636#*#*
    That is the software build date, not the phone build date.
    09-12-2010 07:20 PM
    So Can you expand on tapatalk? What does it do for you and how does it help you in reference to the phone.

thanks.
    09-15-2010 10:43 AM
    The one true thing I miss from Blackberry is when I put the phone in a magnetic BB holster it can change profiles. If my phone is on the desk it shouldn't need to vibrate.
    09-17-2010 11:44 AM
    Is there a way to get rid of the icon names on the home screens and in the app drawer? I want only the icons to appear...not their names that appear underneath.
    FolderOrganizer lets you put a fullscreen widget on a homescreen that allows 4x6 or 5x6 icons totaling 24 or 30 icons. You also have the option to include the icon names or remove them.

I have tried to compile that and all of the tips that work on all Android phones into the Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks thread.
    09-19-2010 01:33 PM
    Is there a way to get free ota movies on the droid x?
    09-19-2010 02:53 PM
    I found a way to get a Direct Dial shortcut using the free app Folder Organizer Lite. Long press the homescreen (or setup in Launcher Pro Dock icon) and select Shortcut, Folder Organizer Item, Direct Call, choose from your contact list.

For the Direct Text using Folder Organizer Lite again. Long press the homescreen (or setup in Launcher Pro Dock icon) and select Shortcut, Folder Organizer Item, Direct Text, choose from your contact list.
    UnicyclistRobe likes this.
    09-22-2010 02:23 PM
    I want to map a walking route but can't find an app that will let me create the route on the map. Any suggestions?
    09-22-2010 04:02 PM
    I want to map a walking route but can't find an app that will let me create the route on the map. Any suggestions?
    I thought with the most recent update of Google Maps it includes walking direction. Is that wat ur referring to?
    09-24-2010 11:04 AM
    I found something absolutely hilarious!!

1. Go to the native text app and open a converstation (any will do)
    2. long press one of the text message bubbles.
    3. The third option (Copy messsage text), is spelled wrong (Really?!?!)

Thanks open source software!
    10-07-2010 05:19 PM
    1. Open a email account
    2. Click left menu button
    3. Select Email Settings
    4. Select Default Email Account option
    5. And select account name to change default

Looks like this may only work on the regular email accounts but the gMail account appears to not show this but try the option above in the regular email account and see if it still shows the gMail accounts in the list. Maybe it will still work...
    Nope, my gmail isn't showing up. Just the yahoo is. Its in the gmail app but not in the messaging app either. I've been thinking of deleting and re-installing but its only a minor nuisance.
    10-07-2010 09:13 PM

They have three "s", that is too funny!!!
    10-08-2010 02:43 PM

Nice find! Gave me a good laugh!
    bgpasha likes this.
    10-10-2010 12:12 AM
    tip: How to get browser to word warp (resize to fit screen in portrait) so you do not have to move screen left to right to read

pinch to zoom to your desired text size, turn phone to landscape and then back to portrait, takes a couple seconds to resize.
    Works with stock browser and Dolphin HD have not tried with skyfire or Opera.
    Its much easier to pinch-to-zoom to your desired size, then just double tap the screen....
    10-21-2010 02:12 PM
    If you stream your music through your bluetooth car stereo and use the stock music player like I do here are two things you can do that will avoid 99% of the media player issues we've been having:

Keep the phone vertical.
    Pause the music before breaking the bluetooth connection (turning car or stereo off).

This will not keep it from cutting off the end of songs every now and then, but it will keep your phone from hanging for 2 minutes when trying to unlock it or having to pull the battery.

Since discovering this I have been able to listen to the stock player without problems in the car, at home, and at work. I can control the music using the phone controls, stereo controls, or the controls on my Sony Ericsson MBW-150 (using OpenWatch) and none of the controls give me the slightest issue.
    10-22-2010 11:33 AM
    If you don't want Facebook contacts in your contacts, and you don't want to worry about any of the problems that have been plaguing people with the default Facebook app, then just get "syncmypix" from the Market. It will look at all your Facebook friends and try to match them with your contacts (if they have the same name or phone number) and then replace that contact's picture with their Facebook profile pic. Once it finishes syncing, you can manually link contact pictures with contacts if their Facebook name is different from their name in your phone contacts. Syncmypix just gets you the pics, of course; you'll have to use the facebook mobile site to actually look at statuses and comments and such, but it sounds like syncmypix does everything you want and nothing you don't!
    So in doing this, do I:

- Remove Facebook from "My Accounts"?
    - Do I need to have the Facebook app (from the Market) on my phone?

I don't have the Facebook app on my phone, but I did link my Facebook account to my phone, so all my Facebook friends show up in there.

If I don't have the Facebook app then how would it be able to look at my Facebook friends?

Just wanted to clarify these things before I proceeded.
    10-22-2010 10:30 PM
    Just found out that you can get the "desktop toggles" add on in the market to do this easier...when browsing hit menu>toolbar to bring up the icon.
    Is the Dolphin HD browser the best one out there? Someone told me the Mozilla Firefox was good too.

I do like the option of switching to regular view with the Dolphin "Desktop Toggles" addon. I don't know if Firefox offers something similar or not.
    10-22-2010 10:51 PM
    didn't work for me

For the auto voice mail try adding more commas. Each one is a delay.
    10-23-2010 08:45 AM
    So in doing this, do I:

- Remove Facebook from "My Accounts"?
    - Do I need to have the Facebook app (from the Market) on my phone?

I don't have the Facebook app on my phone, but I did link my Facebook account to my phone, so all my Facebook friends show up in there.

If I don't have the Facebook app then how would it be able to look at my Facebook friends?

Just wanted to clarify these things before I proceeded.
    you will just add a face book app from the market...or just create a shortcut from the web and assign it to your home screen if you chose...just don't have it in your ACCOUNTS...you can use sync my pix to get contact pic updates and you will log on to face book as you normally would through your new shortcut. It is having facebook in you accounts that screws things up in my opinion.
    10-23-2010 05:34 PM
    This may be posted elsewhere on this thread, but I think it's too important not to be included...

On 2.2, to get contacts onto the (balky) speed dial list, when you get to the speed dial list, DO NOT use search when selecting your contact. Just scroll through the list and add it that way. This is the only way to get the contact to "stick" on your speed dial list.
    10-26-2010 02:14 PM
233 ... 56789 ...