Tips and Tricks for the Droid X

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
How to get Direct Dial and Direct Text shortcuts on your homescreen

I found a way to get a Direct Dial shortcut using the free app Folder Organizer Lite. Long press the homescreen (or setup in Launcher Pro Dock icon) and select Shortcut, Folder Organizer Item, Direct Call, choose from your contact list.

For the Direct Text using Folder Organizer Lite again. Long press the homescreen (or setup in Launcher Pro Dock icon) and select Shortcut, Folder Organizer Item, Direct Text, choose from your contact list.

Reactions: UnicyclistRobe

Tone_Capone

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I found something absolutely hilarious!!

1. Go to the native text app and open a converstation (any will do)
2. long press one of the text message bubbles.
3. The third option (Copy messsage text), is spelled wrong (Really?!?!)

Thanks open source software!

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
1. Open a email account
2. Click left menu button
3. Select Email Settings
4. Select Default Email Account option
5. And select account name to change default

Looks like this may only work on the regular email accounts but the gMail account appears to not show this but try the option above in the regular email account and see if it still shows the gMail accounts in the list. Maybe it will still work...

Nope, my gmail isn't showing up. Just the yahoo is. Its in the gmail app but not in the messaging app either. I've been thinking of deleting and re-installing but its only a minor nuisance.

stacyadell

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I found something absolutely hilarious!!

1. Go to the native text app and open a converstation (any will do)
2. long press one of the text message bubbles.
3. The third option (Copy messsage text), is spelled wrong (Really?!?!)

Thanks open source software!

They have three "s", that is too funny!!!

Tone_Capone

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Much Easier....

tip: How to get browser to word warp (resize to fit screen in portrait) so you do not have to move screen left to right to read

pinch to zoom to your desired text size, turn phone to landscape and then back to portrait, takes a couple seconds to resize.;)
Works with stock browser and Dolphin HD have not tried with skyfire or Opera.

Its much easier to pinch-to-zoom to your desired size, then just double tap the screen.... ;)

scoty024

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
If you stream your music through your bluetooth car stereo and use the stock music player like I do here are two things you can do that will avoid 99% of the media player issues we've been having:

Keep the phone vertical.
Pause the music before breaking the bluetooth connection (turning car or stereo off).

This will not keep it from cutting off the end of songs every now and then, but it will keep your phone from hanging for 2 minutes when trying to unlock it or having to pull the battery.

Since discovering this I have been able to listen to the stock player without problems in the car, at home, and at work. I can control the music using the phone controls, stereo controls, or the controls on my Sony Ericsson MBW-150 (using OpenWatch) and none of the controls give me the slightest issue.

rousea24

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
If you don't want Facebook contacts in your contacts, and you don't want to worry about any of the problems that have been plaguing people with the default Facebook app, then just get "syncmypix" from the Market. It will look at all your Facebook friends and try to match them with your contacts (if they have the same name or phone number) and then replace that contact's picture with their Facebook profile pic. Once it finishes syncing, you can manually link contact pictures with contacts if their Facebook name is different from their name in your phone contacts. Syncmypix just gets you the pics, of course; you'll have to use the facebook mobile site to actually look at statuses and comments and such, but it sounds like syncmypix does everything you want and nothing you don't!

So in doing this, do I:

- Remove Facebook from "My Accounts"?
- Do I need to have the Facebook app (from the Market) on my phone?

I don't have the Facebook app on my phone, but I did link my Facebook account to my phone, so all my Facebook friends show up in there.

If I don't have the Facebook app then how would it be able to look at my Facebook friends?

Just wanted to clarify these things before I proceeded.

rousea24

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Just found out that you can get the "desktop toggles" add on in the market to do this easier...when browsing hit menu>toolbar to bring up the icon.

Is the Dolphin HD browser the best one out there? Someone told me the Mozilla Firefox was good too.

I do like the option of switching to regular view with the Dolphin "Desktop Toggles" addon. I don't know if Firefox offers something similar or not.

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
So in doing this, do I:

- Remove Facebook from "My Accounts"?
- Do I need to have the Facebook app (from the Market) on my phone?

I don't have the Facebook app on my phone, but I did link my Facebook account to my phone, so all my Facebook friends show up in there.

If I don't have the Facebook app then how would it be able to look at my Facebook friends?

Just wanted to clarify these things before I proceeded.

you will just add a face book app from the market...or just create a shortcut from the web and assign it to your home screen if you chose...just don't have it in your ACCOUNTS...you can use sync my pix to get contact pic updates and you will log on to face book as you normally would through your new shortcut. It is having facebook in you accounts that screws things up in my opinion.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
This may be posted elsewhere on this thread, but I think it's too important not to be included...

On 2.2, to get contacts onto the (balky) speed dial list, when you get to the speed dial list, DO NOT use search when selecting your contact. Just scroll through the list and add it that way. This is the only way to get the contact to "stick" on your speed dial list.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Figured I'd ask this here instead of making a new thread:

Where should I put videos, on the SD card, so that they show up so I can play them? The video in question is a .MOV file if that makes any difference. I have a .3gp video in the camera folder and it shows up fine but the .MOV file does not so up...Any help wold be greatly appreciated.

RockPlayer App

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Better Pics

Want better pics?
Some of our photos come out grainy because the ISO settings is set to AUTO by default.
When in low light conditions (which is most of the time) this will diffidently put you at the highest setting of 800.
We can cheat this.
Go to settings and in ISO set to 200.
Try this out and notice how much better your pics are now.
Pictures seem to dark for you?
Then bump it up to 400.
I have found the 200 setting to be the cats meow.

Camera/Settings/ISO/200

Goldwinger

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Screen shots, non-rooted DX

The battery app is called Battery Status Pro, the icon can be seen right in his pic.

Screen shots are possible if you root, not sure without (yet).

I was just wandering through some of the tips and saw your post, forgive me if you have already found this out, but dxTop will let you do a screen shot and you don't have to be rooted.

dxTop is a home screen launcher like Launcher Pro. I've been using it back and forth with Launcher Pro for a few days and I'm pretty impressed with it so far. It's a pay app, but will do what you want. I was just wondering if it can do it, why can't other programs do it?

I'm still not caught up on all my reading, so hopefully I find out later in this thread that you did find a screen capture program. :eek:

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there.

Reactions: scoobyxj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12