Tips and Tricks for the Droid X

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I don't know if Cory would but I will. ;)

Have a tip or trick related to the Droid X - this is the place to put it.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Someone was curious about the double tap home button: Go to settings and then applications, and the last options allows you to change the function.

Also to save some battery for those of you with social networking, I would recommend going to data manager under settings, then data delivery, then social applications. You can set it to only update on wifi, so when you are at home on the charger it syncs.

Edit: to have the phone vibrate for text messages, go to the home of the text messages and pull up the menu, then settings. Should be an option close to the bottom.

Last edited:

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
found out that you can actually disable the lock screen in the settings menu:
menu>settings>location & security and from there just uncheck the screen lock option. best part is that you can disable the swipe lock, while still keeping a passcode or pattern lock if you want

Reactions: Mrs MM

chuch13

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Probably not useful for most...but my girlfriend has been using the giant screen as a mirror to check her makeup when it's really sunny out hahaha

Reactions: mhill0823

dragozoid

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't know how many people know this but you can kill any running app without a 3rd party task killer by:

1. Go to settings
2. Scroll down to Applications and tap it
3. Tap 'Manage Applications'
4. Press the menu button.
5. Select 'Filter'
6. Select 'Running'
7. Tap apps to perform function

EDIT: You can also toggle music controls when playing while the phone is locked.

Last edited:

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
dont download the facebook app from the marketplace! it apparently does not play nice with the social networking on the blur UI. i was having issues with it syncing contact pics when i installed the market app, and a factory reset was the only thing to correct the problem

some alternatives if you dont care for the blur FB is to get pure messenger widget (if you are looking for a replacement widget that displays FB posts), and to use the touch facebook mobile site for any heavy lifting (who's interface most people prefer over the android app anyway)

prenoobster

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Don't add your facebook or your contacts will auto sync with your friends. Instead download facebook and use syncmypix just to synch the photos. Also get sms-pop up :)

Reactions: LMO

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
to extend battery life, you can go into the data manager in the settings menu and set the social networking to only update on wi-fi, and also use the battery manager's smart mode to set a data timeout after a period of inactivity.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Here's a tip:

There's a program on the X called Help Center. If you open it, you will see several options, including:

• Guided Tours
  • Tips & tricks
  • User Guide
  • FAQ's

maniacman54

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't know how many people know this but you can kill any running app without a 3rd party task killer by:

1. Go to settings
2. Scroll down to Applications and tap it
3. Tap 'Manage Applications'
4. Press the menu button.
5. Select 'Filter'
6. Select 'Running'
7. Tap apps to perform function

EDIT: You can also toggle music controls when playing while the phone is locked.

How do you toggle the music controls?

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
you can change audio effects for music playback. menu>settings>sound & display>media audio effects. from here you can tweak bass settings, and also different sound profiles (eg: a wide sound, home theater, etc)

Reactions: reddbon4sho

bc6droid

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Pattern Lock
If you have pattern lock enabled & forget your pattern dont freak out. Once it wont let you in after a certain amount of tries it'll ask you to log into your gmail account. After you log in youll be asked to set a new pattern.

Media Players
Mix Zing is a great multimedia player that plays all media music, video etc. It also has an 10 band equalizer. MixZing also lets you download album art only when charging or during other settings