Tips and Tricks for the Droid X

Kacee9

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I did figure out how to download the video someone sent me via text and then get it onto YouTube to then post on FB........downloaded the Save MMS app. The video was saved in a folder there. Just an FYI.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I noticed a cool little change to the new start launcher animation today, the program list now has a somewhat page wrap effect at top and bottom when menu is scrolled.. Nothing major but thought it gave a nice look.

attachment.php

Last edited:

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
That's accurate. I don't think it can do that stock.

OK, that must be because i thought it was new to see it because I never noticed it before until today. I figured out that is part of Launcher Pro I just updated it yesterday and it was a feature in that application.. Glad to know now.:eek:

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
how to un hide friends you have hidden in google talk...you need your hidden friend to send you a message, then long press on the chat from your main google talk page...an option will come up to show friend

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I just discovered (after 2+ weeks) that the home screens will display in landscape. But I can't get it to change just by shifting the DX sideways ... and it just kind of showed up landscape by accident. I DO have the settings set up to allow automatic hcanges from portrait to landscape. What's the secret to get the home screens to shift?

I just got a nice dock for the DX and would like to keep the DX in Landscape while on it, but other than that one time, I can't get the homescreen to shift from portrait.

Thanks!

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Arelunde, if you have the phone close to the dock (which has a magnet) it will cause the phone to think its in dock mode which in turn shows apps in landscape.

DroidXGuy

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Auto logon to Voice Mail

Why don't you just enable the option to log into voice mail automatically when called from your phone? This option is in your voicemail option menu then you call in and go into settings menu through voice mail, You wont need anything changed to message *86 call in number.

Correction I just learned that this option isnt on the system any longer, maybe because of the new VVM system.... Sorry, this appears not to be a option any longer..

Ok everyone, I've been trying for a week to do this and even called Verizon and went to the store. Verizon customer support and the store technicians were ubable to figure it out. But, I figured out a workaround: Here you go:

1. Delete the preprogrammed voice mail speed dial entries
2. Edit the voicemail speed dial entry in your contact list to include: *86,,[password]# (do not include brackets, just enter your password)
3. Add a new Voice mail speed dial from the contact you just edited
4. Now, here's the trick. Call your voicemail. When it prompts you to enter your password, take the phone away from your ear. It will then send your password through (you will briefly hear it). And that's it - it works.

I have no idea how or why it works, but it does. I wish it worked as it normally should, and just pass the password along automatically, but it doesn't. It's a shame that Verizon is unable to make this work. This is the best workaround I have found. Let me know what you think.

droidrob3

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Here's a tip I haven't seen anyone post yet... You know how the stock launcher icons disappear (and get replaced with the warp dots) when swiping from screen to screen, then you have to wait 1-2 seconds before the launcher icons come back up? Well if you just tap the screen in an open space the icons will pop back up instantly. Not that that was a big deal or anything... :)

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok everyone, I've been trying for a week to do this and even called Verizon and went to the store. Verizon customer support and the store technicians were ubable to figure it out. But, I figured out a workaround: Here you go:

1. Delete the preprogrammed voice mail speed dial entries
2. Edit the voicemail speed dial entry in your contact list to include: *86,,[password]# (do not include brackets, just enter your password)
3. Add a new Voice mail speed dial from the contact you just edited
4. Now, here's the trick. Call your voicemail. When it prompts you to enter your password, take the phone away from your ear. It will then send your password through (you will briefly hear it). And that's it - it works.

I have no idea how or why it works, but it does. I wish it worked as it normally should, and just pass the password along automatically, but it doesn't. It's a shame that Verizon is unable to make this work. This is the best workaround I have found. Let me know what you think.

Hmmm I got it to work with #86 but it only works when I have a waiting voicemail and dial to get . If If I go to the dialer and want to dial it to change a setting it won't work. Strange.

Toxa

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm I got it to work with #86 but it only works when I have a waiting voicemail and dial to get . If If I go to the dialer and want to dial it to change a setting it won't work. Strange.

It works perfectly fine for me. I don't have to put my phone away from my ear. I have 2 pauses after* 86 to give it time to connect ( *86,,password). Works like a charm

sux2bu

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
If you want to use your Droid X like a real computer and not be sent to those watered down mobile sites, install the Dolphin HD browser and switch user agent to "desktop"in the settings menu. Works great for me since I hate the touch facebook mobile site.

Bad Apple

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Not for everyone. Still going back and forth on it myself. But some notable advantages:

• Shorter than ragural keyboard, so mosre pace left on the screen for the actual text/content.
  • Can still peck away one key at a time, in addition to the swypte gestures.
  • Drag from Swype to 5-key ("F") and get a phone-style number pad.

I disabled the sound on key press, but left the haptic (wish there was a reduced level haptic).

I've been trying to find Swype but the website says the beta swype in closed. Does anyone know where I can get it? Thanks in advance.

Bad Apple

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks I found it already.I guess that was the dumbest question that anyone has asked in here.guess you can tell that I'm a android newbie?In fact, I'm using it now.Very cool but very different.Gonna take some getting use to.

Last edited:

kriscad

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Thanks I found it already.I guess that was the dumbest question that anyone has asked in here.guess you can tell that I'm a android newbie?In fact, I'm using it now.Very cool but very different.Gonna take some getting use to.

haha I was wondering too =- until I read your post! lol

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
If you want to use your Droid X like a real computer and not be sent to those watered down mobile sites, install the Dolphin HD browser and switch user agent to "desktop"in the settings menu. Works great for me since I hate the touch facebook mobile site.

Just found out that you can get the "desktop toggles" add on in the market to do this easier...when browsing hit menu>toolbar to bring up the icon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63