Coming from a blackberry, I am used to having multiple "profiles" for the phone. I really about 4 of them..... Normal, vibrate, silent, and phone call only.

"Phone calls only" is what I am looking for on the Droid X. Basically, I used this as my bedtime profile. It would silence all notifications except for phone calls. This is perfect for sleeping. You don't want notifications of spam emails at 3 am, but you do want to receive a call at that time........because a call at 3 am is usually an emergency or something important.

in the 2 days of having the droid x, I haven't found a way to accomplish such a task. Do any of you know of a good method for this.....or an app that does it?

thanks!
    07-17-2010 12:03 AM
    Look for Profiles in the Marketplace - it will do what you want, including provide widgets to change between profiles.
    07-17-2010 12:06 AM
    timeriffic is a great option as well
    07-17-2010 01:28 AM
    Coming from a blackberry, I am used to having multiple "profiles" for the phone. I really about 4 of them..... Normal, vibrate, silent, and phone call only.

"Phone calls only" is what I am looking for on the Droid X. Basically, I used this as my bedtime profile. It would silence all notifications except for phone calls. This is perfect for sleeping. You don't want notifications of spam emails at 3 am, but you do want to receive a call at that time........because a call at 3 am is usually an emergency or something important.

in the 2 days of having the droid x, I haven't found a way to accomplish such a task. Do any of you know of a good method for this.....or an app that does it?

thanks!
    Just came over from BB also and was looking for the same thing. I
    think I found it with "quick profiles." Try it out.
    07-17-2010 01:58 AM
    last night, I found a way to turnoff the notifications. It's not as simple as changing a profile on a BB, but it was effective.

basically, go into settings >> sounds & display >>ringer volume >> "uncheck" the Use incoming call vume for notifications.

once you do that, you can adjust the slider to turn off the notifications volume.
    07-17-2010 07:40 AM
    How do you disable all sound but still enable your alarm to go off. I dont want to get calls or notifications when im sleeping so i turn my volume waaay down but my alarm hasnt gone off for the 2nd day so far.
    07-17-2010 07:44 AM
    Spend $2.99 for "Setting Profiles" in the Market. You can set profiles (very customized and very in depth) based on calendar keywords, busy/free time, set times, locations etc etc.

Probably my best app purchase since getting moving to Android. Once you have everything set up, you almost take it for granted.
    07-17-2010 07:47 AM
    Do any of these profile apps have the function where once you set it into the dock it goes directly into a bedside mode, changing the notifications profile automatically?
    07-17-2010 07:55 AM
    Ooooh, I found something that sounds like you can setup bedside mode to launch when you dock it.

Setting Profiles Lite - Android app on AppBrain

"Perfect for ex-BB users" (this may be what we want)
    http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.noimjosh.profile
    07-17-2010 08:01 AM
    If you try it, please let us know how it works. Some of the recent reviews are a little harsh.

This is one app that can work differently on different phones so I'll leave it here.
    07-17-2010 08:24 AM
    just tried quick profiles.....and ran into a problem for me.

there is no setting for notification vibrations. so, if I create a "vibrate" profile......it won't vibrate the notifications. they had to either be off or at a set volume.

the nighttime profile I created worked fine, but I realized that if you use quick profiles.....you have to make a profile for everything. You can't just make a nighttime profile. You need to make a "normal", a Vibrate" and a "silent." although you could probably still use the slide to turn off sounds built into the lock slider.
    07-17-2010 09:08 AM
    Spend $2.99 for "Setting Profiles" in the Market. You can set profiles (very customized and very in depth) based on calendar keywords, busy/free time, set times, locations etc etc.

Probably my best app purchase since getting moving to Android. Once you have everything set up, you almost take it for granted.
    Have to agree with the recommendation of Setting Profiles. This is one of the best purchases I have made. Was one of the first apps I purchased when I bought my original Droid. Very customizable and the developer is very active with the application to continue adding features, etc.
    07-17-2010 09:09 AM
    Guys... spend the $2.99 for Setting Profiles. You get what you pay for.

Plus ... you get 24 hours to try it out and get a refund if you dont like the app.
    07-17-2010 09:13 AM
    It's great having a phone with so many good choices.
    07-17-2010 09:15 AM
    Look for Profiles in the Marketplace - it will do what you want, including provide widgets to change between profiles.
    This. I tried like 5 different profile managers yesterday and this is by far the one that comes closest to replicating a BB's settings.
    07-17-2010 09:21 AM
    the onky "setting profiles" I am finding in the marketplace is $3.95. they also have a "lite" version, too. is this the same app you guys are speaking of?
    07-17-2010 10:19 AM
    the onky "setting profiles" I am finding in the marketplace is $3.95. they also have a "lite" version, too. is this the same app you guys are speaking of?
    +1

I really want to get this sorted out and would consider paying $3.95 if it does what I need. Anybody else? Is this a very recent price increase?
    07-17-2010 11:47 AM
    looks like the price increase happened about a month ago (thanks appbrain!)
    07-17-2010 11:54 AM
    try nightringer, theres a free version. you can set it to night mode before bed and it will silence everything except phone calls and alarm. works great
    07-17-2010 11:58 AM
    Bedside is another app that will silence everything but you can whitelist the phone, specific contacts, SMS from specific contacts. It can automatically activate when put into the dock.
    07-17-2010 12:27 PM
    timeriffic is a great option as well
    Timeriffic lets you automatically turn off WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, and turn on Airplane mode at your preset time. Then each morning, it can turn it all back on for you. It's free but showing its age a bit not allowing GPS triggers like the others do. But it is simple, saves your marriage and your battery.

Here is the link to Timeriffic:

Timeriffic - Android app on AppBrain

Use AppBrain to download apps because Android Market is too stupid to let you search for apps from your PC.

Here's the link:

AppBrain - the best Android apps and games on the Android market

AppBrain will also let you install directly from your PC using this app:

Fast Web Installer - Android app on AppBrain
    07-17-2010 12:30 PM
    Do any of these also turn off the flashing lights at night, same as BBs Bedside Mode? I have the sound very low for alerts and they aren't a problem, but the flashing red light makes us feel like the Fire Department is parked outside.
    07-30-2010 10:14 AM
    I bought PROFILES in the marketplace, then found EAR. I like EAR better. Just do a search. Basically works just like the Blackberry.
    07-30-2010 01:15 PM
    How do you disable all sound but still enable your alarm to go off. I dont want to get calls or notifications when im sleeping so i turn my volume waaay down but my alarm hasnt gone off for the 2nd day so far.
    If you hold the VOLUME DOWN button until the ringer volume goes down, it will then go to Vibrate. keep holding and it will then go to "Ringer Off". In that mode, only alarms and media you play will have sound.
    07-30-2010 01:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD