Can you change contact names once linked with fbook?

Harkes2k

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
AHHHHHHHHH this is driving me nuts.. I want to have fbook linked to my contacts but I dont want everyones names to be there full name in my contacts... As soon as I link facebook it comes up as their full name even if I edit it? For instance I dont want my mom to be her full name... Anyone know what to do for this?

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
you cant edit the facebook names, but another option is to create a google contact with the name that you want, and then you can link the google contact with the facebook contact. a little involved, but the end result will be what you want

FalconXtreme

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
in a similar situation i linked my "mom" fone contact with her "full name" fb contact and now she shows up as "full name" but if i type "mom" in my contacts search she will come up as "full name" and i can dial her. so it still makes dialing easy. after i figured that out it doesnt bother me.

dvader

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I just was dealing with this tonight.
so here is what you do.

You have "Mom" with her work and cell phone
and then you have
"Peggy Sue" with her facebook and email.. etc etc.

You click on Mom and then click the options button and click "link accounts" and it will allow you to go through your contacts. you then select her facebook account and it will link/merge the 2 and then you will just have 1 contact called "Mom"

If it doesn't work - ie. you end up with Peggy Sue for your contact, then go in and unlink them (options button)
and start over, only choosing peggy sue first this time and then link it to Mom

one of those 2 ways will work.

Harkes2k

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
f everything lol... still not working even trying that i dont get it.. whats making it choose one way for others and another way for others..

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem... except I have my mother under her full name (Let's call her "Jane Smith") and she's a privacy nut and has her Facebook set to a different name ("Alice Johnson"). It doesn't matter which contact I select and then press "link" in, she always shows up as "Alice Johnson". However, if I edit "Alice Johnson" in my contacts her name shows up as "Jane Smith" in the name fields, so I can't change what she shows up as. Damn!

cosimovaga

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Address Book Problem

I have the same problem (this time with Twitter). I have contacts both in google account and twitter.

Sometimes joining them will set twitter as primary (it doesn't matter the one I choose first) sometimes the google one. And when twitter is the first one, choosing Edit will let you change the Google name but it makes no difference as is the other one, the name it displays.

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Having the same problem as well trying to link my mom to her facebook. Keeps changing her shown name to her full name rather than mom. Nothing works to get it to go the other way around and display mom instead. Very odd.

dancindazed

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
It's a glitch

The reason it sometimes works and sometimes does not is because it's an android glitch. Of all your linked contact cards, facebook, phone contact, google contact etc, whichever one has a name that comes alphabetically last starting with the first name, will override any other name. So if you want it say "mom" and you have your mom's facebook contact linked and your moms first name on facebook is Pam, it's going to show her facebook name. However, if you have a contact card that calls her mom and you have it linked with your mom's facebook and your mom's name is Diane, it will show mom in your contact list. You might have to change a name or import a new contact for this override to take place but this 100% is what happens. I've tested it a bunch of different ways. I think they might have done this on purpose just without much forethought because it's a really primitive way to make sure that a more complete name shows over a less complete name. I.e. John Smith comes alphabetically after "John". It doesn't take into account that this might not be what everyone wants. Really annoying and they need to fix it. It might be fixed with Gingerbread.

cascivic

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
The reason it sometimes works and sometimes does not is because it's an android glitch. Of all your linked contact cards, facebook, phone contact, google contact etc, whichever one has a name that comes alphabetically last starting with the first name, will override any other name. So if you want it say "mom" and you have your mom's facebook contact linked and your moms first name on facebook is Pam, it's going to show her facebook name. However, if you have a contact card that calls her mom and you have it linked with your mom's facebook and your mom's name is Diane, it will show mom in your contact list. You might have to change a name or import a new contact for this override to take place but this 100% is what happens. I've tested it a bunch of different ways. I think they might have done this on purpose just without much forethought because it's a really primitive way to make sure that a more complete name shows over a less complete name. I.e. John Smith comes alphabetically after "John". It doesn't take into account that this might not be what everyone wants. Really annoying and they need to fix it. It might be fixed with Gingerbread.

AHH hah you hit the nail on the head that is def what it does which is really annoying. i tried linking unlinking and does not fix a few twitter contacts i have and both of them the twitter name is alphabetically later that there full name do to there middle initial....can you manually change a twitter contacts name?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae