Charging/USB cable

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed that the charging cables seem identical to my EnVtouch.
Is it safe to use them? I mean, could it hurt the X to use the cable from the Touch?
It'd save me some $$ for sure, but not worth it if it would crash it.

lemcoe9

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
You can use any micro-USB cable or charger with the droid x. For example, my mom has the enV2 and I can use her chargers.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Generally it's not a problem to use them, but if you're using a cable from a low-power phone I'd check the cable to see if it's getting hot the first few times you use it (at the plug ends and the cable itself). If they cheaped out and used a smaller gauge wire than they probably should it could do bad things to the cable, but I've never had that issue (of course, I typically only used the fairly high quality cables from RIM, can't vouch for other brands).

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like your question was already answered but I'll also add that the Blackberry micro usb chargers and data cables work just fine, as well as the Droid.

elmo99

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I tried using a micro-USB charger for my bluetooth headset and it didn't have enough juice to charge my DX. The headset charger is only 180 mA and the Droid needs much more than that. I don't have my Droid charger with me right now, but it it more like 800 mA if I remember correctly. A sure fire indicator is that the screen doesn't indicate "charging" when I plug in the headset charger.

So, just because the plug fits, it may not charge the phone.

Stang04GT

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Longer Charging cable

Is it ok for me to use a longer cable to charge my DX? The one that it came with is not long enough to reach the nightstand from the wall outlet. Can I just go to best buy and pick up like a 6 foot cable or something?

GlitchZero

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
It's probably cheaper just to get a microUSB wall charger. BlackBerry travel chargers are only like $25 bucks, they're six feet and they just plug in. That's what I use for my Milestone.

Iceman0803

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
It's probably cheaper just to get a microUSB wall charger. BlackBerry travel chargers are only like $25 bucks, they're six feet and they just plug in. That's what I use for my Milestone.

Doesn't the mV output matter or no? I ask because I know the BB mcro usb charger puts out less than the moto one.

OP: I would think all you have to do is get a longer micro usb cable to plug into the ac adapter.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Safer than your credit card number... :)

I don't trust the real cheap stuff with anything I care about - it's all hit or miss.
Why not support http://store.androidcentral.com/?

* Android|Central ships immediately.
* Android|Central products are name brand and work.
* You won't end up with an undervoltage charger slowly frying your phone.
* The prices are great.
* You are supporting the people who give us this site for free.

Also there are micro-USB chargers that are 10V that will most likely instantly fry your phone such as a number of Garmin and other USB chargers.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1