Need help connecting to computer

milo12

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I am using the supplied charger cable. I have Windows 7, Dell XPS 1645 latop.

When I plug the phone to my computer nothing happens. I have waited for hours and nothing. Others have said a window pops up asking to load the drivers. I Googled for drivers and found motorola droid x 64 bit drivers. I installed those, restarted the computer, and still no change.

I know the connection is being made because when I plug the usb cable into the computer the phone wakes up from sleep. But no charge indication shows on the phone and no sign of a connection on the computer.

Help please, what can I do?

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
If it's not charging, it sounds like the cable may not be fully connecting. I would try plugging the cable directly into the computer (NOT into a hub) and if that doesn't work, try another cable.

Also check to see if you have any new drives or devices when it's plugged in. If you drag down the USB icon in the top of the screen you can change it to whatever mode you want. Personally, I just use Mass Storage or Charge Only modes.

milo12

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I have tried 3 different cables and no change. The phone charges connected to the AC charger just fine so I figure the cable and connector are ok.

I am plugged directly into the computer. The computer doesn't show any indication of a device connected. I'm not sure what USB icon you are referring to. If it is a phone thing it is not there.

DThomp

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Yep, mine is doing the same thing. This is the first time today I have been able to get a connection on the computer. This time I noticed some thing when I plugged the phone in, right as it was where I thought it was in all the way, I heard and felt it go just a fraction of an inch farther. I thought it was strange too because it was definitely getting power but nothing was happening. I'll let you know the next time I plug it in to my computer.

milo12

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the link. I had already installed those drivers and it didn't help. I reinstalled them anyway but it made no improvement.

Kupe

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
I am using the supplied charger cable. I have Windows 7, Dell XPS 1645 latop.

When I plug the phone to my computer nothing happens. I have waited for hours and nothing. Others have said a window pops up asking to load the drivers. I Googled for drivers and found motorola droid x 64 bit drivers. I installed those, restarted the computer, and still no change.

I know the connection is being made because when I plug the usb cable into the computer the phone wakes up from sleep. But no charge indication shows on the phone and no sign of a connection on the computer.

Help please, what can I do?
On your Droid's alert panel at the top of the screen, you should see a little USB symbol on it after you plug in the Droid. Pull down the alert panel and select the USB alert. You will be offered 4 choices, one of which is to treat the USB connection like a flash memory drive. Until you make this selection, every time you connect your device to a computer it will default to the Charging Only selection.

milo12

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I can not load the 32 bit version. When I try the installer says I must use 64 bit version and ends the install. So I reinstalled the 64 bit and no improvement.

The is no USB icon in the notification bar. Like I said when I connect the USB cable from laptop to X , other than waking up from sleep, NOTHING happens. No usb notification on phone and absolutely nothing on the laptop.

Very frustrating I am stumped.

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
did you ever figure the answer to this......

my phone is doign the same thing now. I don't get anything to happen when I plug into the PC via USB. the cable works fine for charging when connected to the usb/wall charger. I have tried 2 different pcs and 2 different cables.

last week, the phone connected to my office pc.........this week, nothing. NO USB icon on phone, nothing!

anybody have any advice?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair