WiFi Troubleshooting

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
A lot of people are reporting connectivity issues. This thread is designed to help you troubleshoot these problems & find commonality in configuration settings that might be causing problems.

Troubleshooting steps:

Before continuing verify that your router firmware is up to date.

Then, please do all of the following - if your router supports it - and you are willing to accept temporary security risks in the interest of doing so:

* Enable SSID broadcasting
* Turn off MAC address filtering
* Turn off encryption
* Disable 802.11 mixed mode
* Reboot router
* Then attempt to connect to router

If you can connect successfully, you can begin modifying/increasing your security settings (if desired).

First, enable encryption, and start with WEP. If WEP works and you want increased encryption/security, you can try WPA. If any of these breaks your ability to connect to your access point, please post in this thread.

Assuming your successful with encryption - you can turn each setting in the first list on - one by one - until something breaks. If enabling one of these settings causes issues, please report it in this thread.

If you are still having problems, after performing the above steps, please post the model # of your router and at least 30 minutes of log data from your access points log file.

If anyone wants me to modify the above post - by adding additional steps or ideas, please let me know.

Also, if this thread helped you, and you found a solution, please post what you did to resolve the issue. I will be funneling this information to Motorola.

Post 3 will be periodically updated with Access Point Brands/Model #'s and Known Issues/Fixes.

Last edited:

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Disabling SSID broadcasting doesn't work on my X with a Linksys WRT610N. WPA/TKIP+WPA2/AES encryption, mixed mode (A/B/G/N and 2.4GHz/5GHz) all work fine as long as I broadcast my SSID.

Edit after Froyo OTA upgrade:
I can now disable SSID broadcasting on my Linksys with the same settings as above.

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Reported fixes based on router brand & model #:

Linksys WRT610N:

SSID broadcasting must be enabled.

D-Link DIR-601:

WPA does not work - must use WEP.

D-Link DIR-628:

Only works using 802.11b/g with WPA - must disable 802.11n.

Netgear WGT624-v3:

WEP doesnt work but WPA does (using WEP - can connect to access point but will not get assigned an IP address.

Verizon FIOS Router Actiontec MI424-WR:

WPA2 does not work. Need to change to WPA.

Netgear wireless N router WNR2000:

Requires latest firmware upgrade & works with Security Options (WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK)

Linksys/Cisco WRT150N:

Do not use WPA2 (can connect but will not be able to browse internet). WPA Personal works fine.

Belkin (Model #?):

Do not use WPA2 - it will work but you may experience lost data. Use WPA instead.

Linksys WRT54G Firmware v8.00.2

No Securty - Works
WEP - Works
WPA Personal with TKIP Algorithms - Works
WPA2 Personal with AES Algorithms - Works

Enterprise-class Avaya (Proxim)

Working with several laptops for years using hidden SSID and 802.1x/WEP (and lately .1i/WPA) authentication via radius server to a windows domain controller.

X connected using .1x on the first try, then not again. have been backing down the settings until consistent connection achieved.

Enabled SSID broadcast. very inconsistent, but did connect a time or two. nothing obvious in the syslog output from the AP and DC regarding authentication failures.

removed .1i support (so .1x only). same results. does connect rarely.

removed .1x support and added WPA-PSK (AP is old enough that WPA2 is not an option). seems solid.[/b]

Netgear WPN824 v3 Rangemax

WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK Security works.
Must change the NAT Filtering to OPEN under the Advanced>WAN Setup Menu.
Must uncheck Enable WMM in the Advanced Wireless Settings option.

Linksys E3000

These settings work:

1.0.01 firmware
WPA/WPA MIXED MODE
MAC filtering disabled
SSID broadcast enabled
dual-band

D-Link 655

Mixed mode/802.11n does not work. Configure 802.11g instead.

D-Link DIR-615

Use the following settings:

WPA + WPA2 Personal
802.11g only (mixed does NOT work)
TKIP
Mac Filtering OFF

Last edited:

DroidRage79

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to contribute my findings:

I've been able to 'Connect' to my network but then havent been getting an IP address and thus unable to browse, access Marketplace etc. I was using WEP security, just to see if it was a security setting I turned all security off for a bit, and voila, I was connected and able to browse the web and do everything I should be able to. So it's DEFINITELY security related for my router, which is a Netgear WGT624-v3

Should I try WPA?

UPDATE- WPA worked!!! So for the NETGEAR WGT624 v3, WEP doesnt work but WPA does.

Last edited:

Ironman

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I have a Netgear WPN824 Router with WPA/WPA2 Security and cannot connect at the moment. I am going to try to modify security settings to see if I can connect. Will report back soon

Xtgirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I really don't understand routers but my husband helped not sure if this will be helpful to anyone or not..but I think I got mine working.

We have a verizon fios router it's an Actiontec mi424-wr

To get it to work we already had SSID broadcasting enabled and Mac filtering off.

We changed to g from mixed mode b/g and disabled encryption...it worked

Turned encryption back on and it did not...speed test froze on third try..

Changed security from wpa2 to just wpa..it appears to be working so far.

Incidentally, we had previously changed to wpa2 because my iPad was having issues with wifi and it would drop the connection:( so let's hope wpa makes both devices happy.

What happens when we all go to a hotel or a friends house...we can't ask everyone to troubleshoot their router settings for us:)

badchevy

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this will help anyone else but for the time being it has fixed my problem with the constant connecting/dropping. I tried everything from changing security settings to a hard reset of the X with no luck. Then I upgraded my firmware on the router and it has held a continious connection for a little over an hour now.

Netgear wireless N router "WNR2000"

Security Options (WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK)

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a Linksys WRT54G. I set this router up 2 or 3 years ago with WEP and haven't changed it since. I know, I'm bad.

My X sees the network, prompts me for a hex key for WEP encryption. I enter the key and then it simply says it cannot connect.

This is a pretty common router as I understand it. BestBuy stores carried them by the pallet. I will hook up a computer to it and post here what I find.

EDIT: Since I have not adjusted this router for a few years, I'm wondering if it is a firmware issue on the router, at least in part. I hope this is covered in our rumored X update on Monday.

Last edited:

bandroid

Jun 15, 2010
www.twitter.com
I have a verizon actiontec fios router and i am having issues with wpa too (not wpa2)

my fios router doesnt even support wpa2.

my issue isnt that it doesnt connect, it connects fine, but many times doesnt. but my main problem is that when i am connected and the screen is ON and i am using the phone, like browsing, my wifi just cuts out with 3 or 2 or 4 bars and things just dont work. at the same time my laptop is fine. and then when i try to transfer large files it takes FOREVER, it goes so slow then speeds up for a tad and then slows down to a crawl for a while, 25 min it took for 100mb on the LAN! and 15-20 to download the 100mb for asphalt 5.

also one time i had bars and could amek calls but calls werent ringing my phone, but thats a whole other connectivity issue. but its still awesome and still better than my DINC.

Last edited:

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I got my X to connect to my WiFi

Linksys WRT54G - Firmware v8.00.2

No Securty - Works
WEP - Works
WPA Personal with TKIP Algorithms - Works
WPA2 Personal with AES Algorithms - Works

I'm beginning to think my trouble may have been with the Android keyboard. Yesterday I switched to the Swype keyboard as it is easier for my fingers to hit the right key. Maybe that was my problem.

None the less, we know this router works and I have finally fixed my home network to a decent security system.

Oh, and I never knew web browsing could be this fast on a phone.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Using a belkin router here, should point out that WPA2 worked however lost data. WPA seems to be holding up much better.

steevereeno

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
From one of Cory's earlier posts listing router models, I've got a D-Link DIR-601 and can only connect with WEP. I lose connection when I switch to WPA/WPA2. I am no expert when it comes to routers, as I just purchased mine a few days ago solely for using it with my X, but I'm generally computer savvy so I tried adjusting a number of settings with no luck. I'll just stick with WEP for now until someone else figures out a solution. I have flawless performance, excellent speeds, and good range, and haven't dropped a connection at all using WEP.

Avoidance

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have a Linksys/Cisco WRT150N firmware v1.01.9

I was able to connect and obtain an IP address; but I could not browse the internet on the Droid X...

I changed the Wireless Security settings from WPA2 to WPA Personal and after reconnecting I was able to browse fine.

bandroid

Jun 15, 2010
www.twitter.com
after having problems with regular wpa on my fios router i switched to my linksys wrt54g router and am using wpa and things are much better so far.

def. doesnt like the actiontec fios router in wpa mode though.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
after having problems with regular wpa on my fios router i switched to my linksys wrt54g router and am using wpa and things are much better so far.

def. doesnt like the actiontec fios router in wpa mode though.

Does the Actiontec support WEP and/or no security at all? I'd like to update post #3 to say "don't use WPA/WPA2 but _______ works okay"

Xtgirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Well, my Actiontec supports WEP, WPA, or WPA2....it also allowed no encryption as well and that allowed wifi to work. I could not get mine to work on the WPA2 setting, but did not attempt the WEP setting because my Ipad isn't working when I use WEP:( WPA is working for me and has been working for a day now.

alershka#AC

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm running a Dlink DIR655 in mixed mode, no security and SSID broadcast. I am able to connect but I frequently lose connection. I was hoping for the patch today to see if it fixed my problem but it hasn't been released yet.

Stang04GT

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm running a Dlink DIR655 in mixed mode, no security and SSID broadcast. I am able to connect but I frequently lose connection. I was hoping for the patch today to see if it fixed my problem but it hasn't been released yet.
I have the same router with the same problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney