Stopping Facebook and Twitter from showing contacts I don't want to see

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
With the original droid you could choose to display specific groups of users under contacts. I.E. I made a group called Android, and the only thing that was in there was contacts i wanted on my phone... this group was comprised of 50 contacts instead of the total 400 that's in my google acount. However, when enabling the Droid X's facebook and twitter all the contacts that I don't want to see show up if they have a facebook or twitter profile.... How can i get rid of this? Is it possible to ONLY display specific groups of contacts like the original droid?

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't work like that, the Droid X seems to only display the contacts that are in your "My Contacts" list, which only includes about 60 people. Then, when you log into the facebook or twitter apps it automatically shows anyone that is in your contact list that is also a facebook or twitter friend in your phone contacts.

mdmill1

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
There was an option when you first set of the phone. You had to pick if you wanted all contacts in facebook to show or just your phonebook contacts. Some didn't see it because the verizon rep set there phone up. You !!!!!! MAY !!!!!!! be able to change it by reseting the phone back to factory settings by going to settings- privacy- restore factory settings......DON'T BE MAD AT ME IF YOU WIPE YOUR PHONE AND IT DOSEN'T CHANGE ANYTHING.

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't work like that, the Droid X seems to only display the contacts that are in your "My Contacts" list, which only includes about 60 people. Then, when you log into the facebook or twitter apps it automatically shows anyone that is in your contact list that is also a facebook or twitter friend in your phone contacts.
That doesn't work with the droid x. It has a custom social networking utility that doesn't give you those options when you log in.

Itlan#AC

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
With the original droid you could choose to display specific groups of users under contacts. I.E. I made a group called Android, and the only thing that was in there was contacts i wanted on my phone... this group was comprised of 50 contacts instead of the total 400 that's in my google acount. However, when enabling the Droid X's facebook and twitter all the contacts that I don't want to see show up if they have a facebook or twitter profile.... How can i get rid of this? Is it possible to ONLY display specific groups of contacts like the original droid?

You can manually replicate this on the phone. I dont know if you were doing a server side group before but you can go into contacts create a group...and then across your google, facebook, twitter, myspace accounts select which users get put into that group and add them one by one. Then you can just display that group. What sucks is it works for contacts only but not the contacts in the dialer. So I essentially use my contacts off the launcher and not dialer or you get the total mess of contacts displayed.

The lack of google contact support frustrated me to no end. But I'm making do with manual grouping on the X.

tlane01

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah i am having the same issue.
There contacts that is on the bottom right of every home screen, you can filter it by group: ie google account, exchange account, facebook etc.
The Contacts tab of the dialer does not have this option. I would prefer to not have to contacts from facebook that i did not have in my contact list originally, not show up in my contact list at all. Hopefully Motorola fixes this..

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't know why Facebook thought it was a good idea to ever let your contacts sync to your phone. No one wants 400 extra people they hardly ever speak to on their contacts list. On Facebook for BB, there was an option to turn this off when you installed it. i saw no such option on the X when I set up my accounts.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
So...Verizon Sync (which I otherwise detest having on my phone) was really useful for me to get around this the first time. Not only did I have a lot of Facebook contacts, but thanks to having long ago exported all of my email contacts to my gmail account I also had a ton of "contacts" that were just names and email addresses (but that I don't use often enough to want cluttering up my phone's contact list). So I signed into Verizon Sync, switched from the useless flow-view to the list view, and then you can easily and quickly select all of the contacts you don't want and delete them. Press "Sync" and voila, you are set.

Sure, it sucks having to do it manually, but it's just once, and a lot faster on a desktop then trying to do it on the phone. Now, if we could just get root so I could remove the damned app....

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
You can manually replicate this on the phone. I dont know if you were doing a server side group before but you can go into contacts create a group...and then across your google, facebook, twitter, myspace accounts select which users get put into that group and add them one by one. Then you can just display that group. What sucks is it works for contacts only but not the contacts in the dialer. So I essentially use my contacts off the launcher and not dialer or you get the total mess of contacts displayed.

The lack of google contact support frustrated me to no end. But I'm making do with manual grouping on the X.
I guess that work around is good enough.. thanks. Hopefully they allow it to support google groups instead of phone groups though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463