How to Delete Apps?

LT1Droid

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
How the heck do you delete the apps you don't want/use?

I also just downloaded LauncherPro and hate it! How do I get rid of that too?

FlyingJ

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Go to programs then Settings>Applications> then something like "installed" or to that effect. Then just click on an app in the list then select uninstall and that will work.

I do not know about some of the pre-installed stuff on the phone, but I'd like to clean out stuff (blockbuster, etc.) that I will never use.

Anyone?

heathro1281

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
INstalling the preinstalled apps only allows you to delete the "updates". the app is still on the phone after trying to use the market to delete.

tlfloyd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
How to Uninstall Bloatware after Rooting your Droid

Found the answer, and it was fairly easy. Just had to refine my search a little. The answer is here: Limitless DROID ? Blog Archive ? Rooting 101: Bloatware.

Once you are rooted, people suggest you download and install Titanium Backup. You can use this to test whether or not you are rooted because when launched, it asks for root access and if you can authorize it, then you are -- obviously -- running as root.

Now when you launch Titanium, you are given a list of all applications installed. Default pre-installed apps are color coded in red. Click on the app you want to uninstall (e.g., Blockbuster). You have three buttons to press, one to back up the app, one to restore it and -- highlighted in red -- one to Uninstall the app. Click on Uninstall and you're done!

This would be one of the first things that should be included in a "Post-Root guide," which is discussed extensively in another thread. But this information should be included somewhere on AndroidCentral. Weird that I could find it on LimitlessDroid, but not on AndroidCentral. Well, I guess this is an appropriate place to type, "There... fixed that for you." ;)

Reactions: broadwayblues

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
This would be one of the first things that should be included in a "Post-Root guide," which is discussed extensively in another thread. But this information should be included somewhere on AndroidCentral. Weird that I could find it on LimitlessDroid, but not on AndroidCentral. Well, I guess this is an appropriate place to type, "There... fixed that for you." ;)

didnt look hard enough, i guess ;)

http://forum.androidcentral.com/mot...d-bloatware-safely.html?highlight=rename+apps

btw, i caution anyone about removing bloat completely, as it is a pain to get back if you want to do an OTA update down the road. freezing it with titanium or renaming it with root explorer are much easier options

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Another way to uninstall apps (that you've downloaded) if the icons are on your home screen ... drag to the trash can and hold it there. Message to uninstall will appear and you can check OK. That's the easiest way.

BTW - in Market, once you've dl an app and uninstalled, it will show that it's a "purchased" app. You can download it again at any time.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Re-naming a bloatware app and uninstalling it are two completely different things, aren't they?

renaming it keeps it in your phone as a "backup" app, allowing you to restore it at anytime. uninstalling it deletes it off of your phone completely, which can be an issue if you ever need to get it back. you can find the apk's out there if you ever need to get a bloatware app back, but i have always found it easier just to rename them

tlfloyd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Isn't that why it's called "bloatware"?

Why in the world would I ever want to restore the Blockbuster app on my Droid? I don't have a Blockbuster account (and thanks to Neflix, I don't need one), and I never intend to use it. And if current trends continue, Blockbuster won't be around much longer anyway, so what possible use could it ever be to me or anyone else?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
If you ever need to take your phone back to Verizon to be replaced, you're going to have to unroot it. Should someone spot that your Blockbuster app is missing, they'll know you rooted and voided your warranty, meaning that you don't get a replacement. If they spot later that you rooted your phone and let you walk out with a replacement, they could end up charging your account for the $600 or so that is the unsubsidized cost of the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance