Defective screens?

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Looks like some DXs may have received a bad batch of display panels :(

engadget

I've not really seen any posts here or elsewhere regarding this so I wonder if its fairly localized and a limited population.

papayt

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Mine was messed up where more than half the screen got those lines through it and went black as well. I restored the phone and all is good now. It happened when I downloaded a new galaxy live wallpaper. Im wondering if I should be concerned as to if the hardware is flawed and try to return it for a new device?

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Download the app Quadrant, its a benchmarking app that puts the GPU through its paces. If its a display or GPU related problem it may show up using that app.

Since that problem hasn't cropped up again on your phone and if the benchmarking won't reproduce it, then I'd not lose too much sleep.

Speedr117

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I got the screen issues on Saturday. Looked like there was a loose connection (i.e. the display would flicker in and out, vertical lines of random color bits, and then go to black with a white horizontal line at the very top being the only thing displayed. I rebooted, removed the battery, nothing helped. Then I removed the SD card and re-inserted it, and all was well.

Have not been able to reproduce it since. Not sure what to do (return the phone, ask for a replacement, do nothing).

jbmoby

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I have a faint blue/green spot about the size of a pencil eraser in the upper right corner (portrait) of my screen:(. Ordered a replacement. The phone is by all means servicable, but that spot really stands out on greys and red tones.:mad:

This phone rocks otherwise.:D

Last edited:

Toxa

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I got the screen issues on Saturday. Looked like there was a loose connection (i.e. the display would flicker in and out, vertical lines of random color bits, and then go to black with a white horizontal line at the very top being the only thing displayed. I rebooted, removed the battery, nothing helped. Then I removed the SD card and re-inserted it, and all was well.

Have not been able to reproduce it since. Not sure what to do (return the phone, ask for a replacement, do nothing).

I had the same thing. Horizontal lines at the bottom of the screen, and screen flickering. Did a factory reset, and it didn't help. Called a local corporate verizon store and the told me which store still had the phone, so i got lucky and was able to replace it sunday. So far no problems.

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yea, this is a simple case of just back up your data and swap out your phone for a new one. An issue like this really isn't shocking right after launch, and Verizon and Moto are usually prepped for something like this. This may be why some orders have been delayed though. Verizon is trying to ship out replacements, so it's more difficult to fill new orders.

Not like any other big smartphone isn't plagued by at least one or two launch day issues.

santacruz

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm just going to go out there on a limb and throw these two words into the wind. 1) Some sites are trying to make out this report that all DROID x's are defective now, and the users on that site (majority apple users) are running with it as its all droid x users having this issue. 2) Least the droid x is having a spotty issue with screens, while the iphone 4 all have the same problem, hardware.

It's also apparent you can fix it with a battery / memory card pull. Which is another thing you cant reverse on the iphone since its hardware. /sigh really just pickles me how dumb the people of the internet truly are, its like watching fox news, when I'm not. AHHH :eek:

Last edited:

papayt

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
mflynn: I downloaded Quadrant and everything is still great, somehow I was able to reproduce the issue twice after downloading the galaxy live wallpaper, but who knows what the issue really is lol. As long as its working now I guess!

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
1 thing Im confused about these devices is that they advertise their "1ghz" processors yet in these tests, their RARELY 1ghz or even remotely close to it. Ive ran multiple tests on both my Inc and my X and their constantly hovering around 300-550 mhz. What the hell? Why dont they run higher?

Since the CPU is running slower then it should be, is that possibly a reason why my UI is sluggish and slow when scrolling from screen to screen? Man I wish we could root this thing and use setcpu to crank up its processor to what it should be running at to see if it would speed up the scrolling speeds.

santacruz

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
1 thing Im confused about these devices is that they advertise their "1ghz" processors yet in these tests, their RARELY 1ghz or even remotely close to it. Ive ran multiple tests on both my Inc and my X and their constantly hovering around 300-550 mhz. What the hell? Why dont they run higher?

Since the CPU is running slower then it should be, is that possibly a reason why my UI is sluggish and slow when scrolling from screen to screen? Man I wish we could root this thing and use setcpu to crank up its processor to what it should be running at to see if it would speed up the scrolling speeds.

do you have your battery management set to smart? If my memory strikes me correct, it does underclock and messes with screen to save battery power. Just a thought.

Jonzer77

May 1, 2010
Visit site
They were probably just holding the phone wrong but i heard they were going to give away free cases to solve the problem since the software update didn't fix it. Ooops. Wrong phone lol.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, its set to Smart. Interesting. Thank you for your imput.

Hey bart can you do me a quick favor bud?

Can you please download Quadrant benchmark and run it for me? I want you to keep an eye out on a couple things that have been affecting my phone and I'd like to run them by you.

First off, in this benchmark if I have my phone set to Performance battery mode, I always score around 1100-1150. If I put my phone in Smart Mode and then run it again, I score consistently over 1200+.

The other thing I am worried about is that in this benchmark, there are 2 graphical artifacts that resemble a broken GPU or display:

The first of these issues is that on the 2D/3D graphics benchmarks, the FPS and Frame counter are cut off at the bottom of the screen, only half the text is visible.

The second issue is that on the 3D benchmark with the planet and moon spinning, the moon has serious graphical artifacts in the form of black spotting/flashing lines and colors. They're around the 2 o'clock position on the moon as it spins.

If you could please download the benchmark and verify those 3 separate things I would be very very very grateful. Thanks

Update: I was pulling my hair out watching Phil's benchmarking video (showcasing the X vs EVO vs Nexus One) where he ran Quadrant, and I saw in his video he wasn't getting the stretched screen causing the bottom FPS counter to be clipped off, and he wasn't getting the wierd artifacts on the 3D test with the planets. So I started looking around at the app itself. Well, it was updated numerous times since Phil made that video, and so I wanted to be sure it wasn't the app by checking which version Phil could have possibly been running at the time he made the video. Well, turns out it was Quadrant ver 1.0 beta 8. So I downloaded an APK of this beta 8 and installed it, waddya know. No more clipped/stretched screen. No more graphic artifacts on the planet portion. So I'm going to take this up with the Quadrant devs and see if they can fix it. As for the scoring changing in different battery modes, this has subsided. I guess my CPU just wasn't kicking into full power during the test for some reason and now it works fine. Getting consistent scores between both battery profiles. Just wanted to close this case before it really even opened. Thanks

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm