PDANet USB Tethering work on DX?

kadinldg

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone successfully used PDANet USB tethering on the Droid X? I have seen the question asked in my search on this forum, but not one post that can verify that they have successfully used it on the X. Was hoping it works as that will be my deciding factor on upgrading to the DX.

The Mad Mule

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Hm, looks like PdaNet is the easier/better one to use out of the two (judging by comments on the Market). So I assume that this is essentially bypassing the $20 Hotspot thing that Verizon tries to set you up with. So this shouldn't be noticeable by them unless you start racking up a ton of data download/upload, si?

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I was just in a Verizon store tonight (dropping my iPhone 3G come 8/7 for the Droid X), and while the sales rep was explaining the pricing options on the wireless plan he came right out and said "Don't bother with the wireless tethering option: you can just grab this app called PDANet and do it for free."

He of course mentioned that Motorola and Verizon were undoubtedly working on some sort of way to stop it, but for now at least it's game on.

paulinbna

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
He of course mentioned that Motorola and Verizon were undoubtedly working on some sort of way to stop it, but for now at least it's game on.

PDAnet has been around for years, and they have not stopped it yet.

As far as I was told the app "fools" the network into thinking that the laptop looks like the phone accessing the net.

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
This is a relief. I was hoping that I could bypass that $20/month garbage they're trying to sell us. It's clearly just a way to make more money off data because how much does 2 extra GB really cost? Not $20/month I'll tell ya that.

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Im not sure if this has happened to anybody else but when i tried to use PDANet today (still free version, installed this morning an it worked fine) a VZW splash page came up with information on tethering plan rates. Has VZW finally figured out how to block these apps?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech