EVO owner trying out the Droid X

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
What's yup guys. I have an EVO but I was curious to check out the Droid X. Went to Verizon to check it out and the first thing I noticed was how light this device is. Being a "big" phone like the EVO, I thought it would have some weight to it, but it doesn't. As with others who noticed, the phone is taller and the screen looks longer than my EVO. I think this is due to the phone's structure.

Next, turning on the device, I noticed that the UI was not your standard motorblur. It looked like the standard android UI, bottom dock with phone, app. and another icon. I'm not sure if the phone was program like this, owners please correct me if I am wrong. The 1ghz processor is very snappy. I was in and out of pages, scenes and apps. Blockbuster app was pretty cool, movies looked nice on the screen.

Pictures and video came out nice. I kinda of like the dedicated camera button. Something I think the instink did right. The hump on the back where the camera is located is not a problem as some have reported.

Overall, the Droid X seems to be a great device from the time I had with it. Fast, UI was great, camera functions were nice and I really like how you can adjust the widget sizes. I wish all androids can do this. Definately a good alternative to the EVO if you are on Verizon. My only negative thing about the phone is the build quality. It just seemed too light and felt a little cheap. But I'm sure, having it for a longer period of time, you get use to it and it's probably will not be an issue. I hope you guys are enjoying the X.

dragozoid

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I have to disagree with you on build quality. The DX is constructed out of metal material and it has a high quality feel just like my Droid1 did. Weight =/= build quality. It's the material.

Coming from a D1, I didn't think I'd like a lighter phone but I like it better this way.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar initial reaction to the build-quality part, but honestly, weight often does = build quality, even if not in this case. For anyone who doubts it, I challenge to you handle a Galaxy S derivative and see what you think...

That said, the Droid X has excellent build quality IMO.

NakkiNyan

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I keep trying to like my DX and just can't. Hate the idea of stepping down to an incredible though. I may try and get an Evo to work on Vz but I am seeing that though it has been done it is tricky at best.

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I thought it would have some weight to it, but it doesn't. As with others who noticed, the phone is taller and the screen looks longer than my EVO. I think this is due to the phone's structure.
The phone is taller and people are so surprised at its thinness and weight.

Next, turning on the device, I noticed that the UI was not your standard motorblur. It looked like the standard android UI, bottom dock with phone, app. and another icon. I'm not sure if the phone was program like this, owners please correct me if I am wrong. The 1ghz processor is very snappy. I was in and out of pages, scenes and apps. Blockbuster app was pretty cool, movies looked nice on the screen.

Pictures and video came out nice. I kinda of like the dedicated camera button. Something I think the instink did right. The hump on the back where the camera is located is not a problem as some have reported.
Both the CPU and GPU are nearly the best out there at the moment. I think the samsung galaxy S sports the fastest GPU but droid x blows the door off of any of the snapdragon processors.

My only negative thing about the phone is the build quality. It just seemed too light and felt a little cheap. But I'm sure, having it for a longer period of time, you get use to it and it's probably will not be an issue. I hope you guys are enjoying the X.
You opinions do not seem to jive from folks here, including me, but also impartial reviewers who have raved about the feel of the phone. Its a very solid phone and the build quality is top notch. Time will of course tell, I mean the build quality of the EVO was purported to be great but then reports of the screen lifting off starting coming. Some things cannot be discerned with playing with the phone for a few minutes or even a few days.

TootNBerry

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I keep trying to like my DX and just can't. Hate the idea of stepping down to an incredible though. I may try and get an Evo to work on Vz but I am seeing that though it has been done it is tricky at best.
What's not to like build the phone to your liking with the widgets and what not i was the same way with the D1 thought the phone was plain and with the droid x.. No turning back for me..

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
What's not to like build the phone to your liking with the widgets and what not i was the same way with the D1 thought the phone was plain and with the droid x.. No turning back for me..

Agreed and moving from a DX to an EVO is perplexing since there more similarities then differences. If he doesn't like the DX what why would the EVO be a draw.

deercreek

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
My first worry was that it was going to be a huge brick. I bought it online without even getting to hold one first. I went to Best Buy and messed around with an EVO to get an idea of the size. It's hard to believe how thin and light it is. I've been carrying it in my pocket and I actually notice it's there less than I did an enV Touch. It's definitely thinner and seems to be lighter than the touch.

On the flipside the EVO seemed like a nice device if I thought I could live with Sprint.

Speedr117

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I test drove an EVO for 30 days, then got the Droid X. I loved my EVO except for the bad battery life and poor videos and images. Where the Droid X really seperates itself on videos is the sound quality. Also, you can't beat Verizon's coverage. I will say I prefer the EVO's screen dimensions better than the Droid X (i.e. more squarish vs. more letterboxish). I think HTC's Sense is beautiful and far superior to Moto's skin, but I do like being able to resize widgets.

Overall, they're both great phones. It really boils down to what is more important: 4G and Sense, or longer battery life (slightly), better video/pics, and better network (Verizon).

BTW, after 2 years with an iPhone (3G, then 3Gs), either Sprint OR Verizon is a HUGE improvement over AT&T, at least with an iPhone!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781