Memory leak and bad battery life

lemcoe9

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I also have a memory leak problem. When the phone starts up, advanced task killer says I have over 220MB. After about 2 hours of use, I kill ALL the applications running and it says I have around 130, and I can find no way to regain the lost RAM.

RIDICULOUS. What is this, a Blackberry

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
*shakes head* please, please, please dont rely on task killers for anything. as long as you have 50MB of available RAM or more (hell, even 30MB), your phone will run swimmingly. i have said it before, i will say it again: let android manage the memory. ATK and the like should be used and only used for killing off apps causing problems

Androidoholic
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
*shakes head* please, please, please dont rely on task killers for anything. as long as you have 50MB of available RAM or more (hell, even 30MB), your phone will run swimmingly. i have said it before, i will say it again: let android manage the memory. ATK and the like should be used and only used for killing off apps causing problems

+1

Amen.

jjsaw5

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I have been charging my phone with my storm 2 charger and when I switched to the one that came with this phone, I started getting better battery life. Try it

That's interesting. I have been using all my old storm 2 chargers. I'll have to try this.

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
My battery life isn't so good either. I have all social networking stuff turned off, no widgets except calendar and clock. I have Smart mode set, Data Timeout at 30 day, 15 night, and I power the phone off at night too. GPS, BT, all that is off. I only use 3G on it, since I have no WiFi connection. On my laptop, I use a Verizon USB 3G modem as my fulltime connection.

But from yesterday afternoon around 4 PM, being off overnight from 9:30 PM til 7 AM today, up until about a half hour ago (Noon), my battery dropped to 50% and that was with very little use. Basically, I used it when I walked over to the grocery store to buy a sandwich for lunch. I did turn on GPS during that time just to see how it worked, but have since turned it off and plugged the thing in. Now with it plugged in, I will turn on BT, fire up my BT headphones, and listen to Pandora for the afternoon.

I'm a bigitme Linux fan, which is part of the reason I got this phone. That and my BB Storm was such a POS. :)

Rob

deadlift425

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, had an improvement from yesterday. Battery charged to almost 80% and pulled off at 1ish. I just had my battery light go off about 4 oclock after moderate use. I did turn off the social networking, used the data timeout, and turned off auto brightness. Long as this can last a whole day consistently, I will be happy!!!!

Stang04GT

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
My battery has been getting better lately, but the phone seems to be slugish toward the middle and end of the day. The memory still shows in between 50-60MB. I'm running handcent SMS and when ever I go to check a text message it seems the phone is real sluggish and takes a few more seconds than normal to load. Could it be the app?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
My battery has been getting better lately, but the phone seems to be slugish toward the middle and end of the day. The memory still shows in between 50-60MB. I'm running handcent SMS and when ever I go to check a text message it seems the phone is real sluggish and takes a few more seconds than normal to load. Could it be the app?

Sounds like your CPU could be under load. Either download an application that shows CPU usage, or run the 'top' command from adb or a terminal app on the phone next time things slow down, and see if anything looks off.

Stang04GT

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like your CPU could be under load. Either download an application that shows CPU usage, or run the 'top' command from adb or a terminal app on the phone next time things slow down, and see if anything looks off.

Are there any apps that you suggest? Sorry Im new to android just trying to figure this stuff out. Thanks

PainKiller

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I use Memory Booster once or twice a day when things get nuts from multitasking all day. Don't abuse it but it seems to help.

~ Transmitted via Motorola Droid ~

miamifin33

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Major Memory Leak...What To Do?

On a fresh reboot, my phone loads with about 230MB, but after about two hours or so I'm down near 70MBs. My phone performance also begins to lag. Is there a fix for this?

inkmantpa

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
On a fresh reboot, my phone loads with about 230MB, but after about two hours or so I'm down near 70MBs. My phone performance also begins to lag. Is there a fix for this?

It's the way the OS was designed. It will load lots of stuff into RAM to wait for you if you need it. There is nothing wrong, it's the way the OS works. It's not like Windows or Mac OSX. Processes sitting in RAM don't use any more battery or CPU than if the RAM sits empty. They are inactive and waiting to be used.

This article should be required reading for every member of every forum before they are allowed to ask about app killers, low memory, apps hurting battery life, etc.

Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way

miamifin33

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It's the way the OS was designed. It will load lots of stuff into RAM to wait for you if you need it. There is nothing wrong, it's the way the OS works. It's not like Windows or Mac OSX. Processes sitting in RAM don't use any more battery or CPU than if the RAM sits empty. They are inactive and waiting to be used.

This article should be required reading for every member of every forum before they are allowed to ask about app killers, low memory, apps hurting battery life, etc.

Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way

I appreciate the response..but how do you explain the phone performance lagging as well?

inkmantpa

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I appreciate the response..but how do you explain the phone performance lagging as well?

It's very possible that you have one poorly written app that is causing your issues. The fact that your free memory drops after your reboot, is to be expected. This is really the time when a good app killer shold come in handy. Try System Monitor. It will show you every process that is loaded into memory, which are inactive (most will be) which are active. It will also show how much CPU time they are each using. Mot apps will use almost no CPU time, even when they are running alot. A poorly written app will use lots no matter what. If you see an app has used 3sec or 10 sec, no worries, if one has used 4 or 5 min, etc, that is a problem. Then you can kill that one particular app to see what happens. If things slow down again, check and if that app has used a bunch of CPU time, uninstall it.

Note: My browser which I use all the time, has used only seconds of CPU time in the last day. Although I've been browsing a lot. The CPU time is only the split second that the browser executes the logic, not the time it takes pages to load, or you to read them. When you see really high CPU times for anything, something is wrong.