Launcher pro or stock?

jbomb11

Banned
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I ran launcher pro on my droid and now I just got my droid x should I use launcher pro or stock with the home os?? Any thoughts what are you guys using???

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Use both and see which one you like best. For an easy way to switch between launchers, install an app called Home Switcher. It will allow you which to set as the default launcher and also allow you to switch between the two easily.

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I wish LauncherPro did not require giving it permission to read gmail messages before installing it. That's the main reason I've been using ADW.Launcher instead.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I wish LauncherPro did not require giving it permission to read gmail messages before installing it. That's the main reason I've been using ADW.Launcher instead.

It only does that to display your unread message count, your default launcher on the phone does the same thing.

alpha752

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I tried the stock, but just didnt like it. I use LauncherPro Plus, and am really enjoying it. I do miss the moto calander and contact widgets, but there are ways around those, and its not enough to make me suffer through the stock. Its personal preference, but I really like LP.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I've been using LauncherPro and I love it. I never used any of the stock widgets and got a few of my own.

My friend tried using LauncherPro but it was killing his battery life and performance, so he took it out and it's running much smoother. I don't know what other programs or widgets he uses, but he's happier now.

Matt Kline

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
My friend tried using LauncherPro but it was killing his battery life and performance

I thought the same thing. The last 2 days I've used ADW and it seems to drain battery faster as well.

I'll try stock for a while and see what happens. It could be all in my head.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Well, the reason for that could be that you have two sets of widgets running and refreshing. One in Launcher Pro and the other in the stock launcher. Get rid of the ones in the stock launcher...maybe thats the problem.

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

It only does that to display your unread message count, your default launcher on the phone does the same thing.

The default launcher does not show the gmail msg count. I think only the official gmail app has access to your gmail (sets notification, widget, etc). And that's good, secure.

Your mail has your password resets and all kinds of other confidential info. Would you give a 3rd party launcher app access to your bank site, just so it can show you a counter? May be some would, but it shouldn't be required to use the launcher.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Woah woah woah wait a sec. So if I install LauncherPro and still have widgets on any of my 5 stock homescreens, it will be effectively updating junk on both screens? Cuz if so then wow thats bad.

Also I don't think LauncherPro really does anything for battery life. If anything I'd say it could help your battery life by turning down the # of homescreens and making it run smoother, less load overall. I've been getting 40+ hours off the charger, hitting 15%/20% battery life using LauncherPro.

By the way, LauncherPro rips stock a new one. The only thing you'd be missing out on are the Motoblur widgets, if that matters to you.

Matt Kline

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, the reason for that could be that you have two sets of widgets running and refreshing. One in Launcher Pro and the other in the stock launcher. Get rid of the ones in the stock launcher...maybe thats the problem.

If that's what's been happening, I wonder if it also made it laggy. Both launcher pro and ADW were laggy for me. The stock one works great.

As far as the battery goes I guess that would make sense. Wouldn't it work to wipe all the stock homescreens off before using LP or ADW?

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
yes if u plan on using any launcher clear all screens from stock launcher. Drag them to trash.

Thanks. I just went in and did this. I didn't even realize that I was basically running two launchers with two sets of the same widgets running at the same time. This should help barry life even more (even though mine has already been exceptional).

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Hmm...I've been using home switcher so I could show people the stock launcher (I'm showing a lot of non-Android people the phone)...I don't think I have any widgets, but I do have 7 pages full of apps and other stuff (and of course beautiful widgets on the other home page)...is all of that stuff either in memory or otherwise draining the system even when they aren't launched???

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Hmm. I guess I will have to try and clear the stuff from the stock home. I love the scrollable calendar widget (pure) and the scrollable icon dock In LP. But it seems to be slow when coming from lock. Hopefully this picks up the speed a bit

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
It is eating system resources. Bw is pinging the towers
Hmm...I've been using home switcher so I could show people the stock launcher (I'm showing a lot of non-Android people the phone)...I don't think I have any widgets, but I do have 7 pages full of apps and other stuff (and of course beautiful widgets on the other home page)...is all of that stuff either in memory or otherwise draining the system even when they aren't launched???