Problem with Custom Notifications ... Is it just me?

alershka#AC

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I've been thinking that I've lost my mind for the last week because I keep losing my setting for custom notifications. I have a bunch of alerts and ringtones on my sd card. I set a different notification for each email account, and a few rings for several people in my address book. I've been noticing that over time, these all get wiped and I'm back to the default Droid notification. When I pull up the settings in my address book, the ring tone is listed as "unknown ringtone". I think I know what's going on but I wanted to get some other feedback.

I hook my DX to my pc to charge. I had the default setting changed to USB Mass Storage so if I need to add something to my SD card, it is ready to roll. However, I think that since my rings are stored on the SD card, if a notification occurs (any notification), it goes to the SD card and it can't access it because it's in mass storage mode. It then corrupts the settings for the notifications and I have to reset all of them again. I think this is the case because I see a similar behavior in Beautiful widgets. My clock goes back to it's default theme when I have it plugged into my pc and the phone is in USB Mass storage mode.

I've, for now, switched my usb mode to charge only and I'm going to watch for a bit. Anyone else see this? Is this DX specific or does it effect all devices?

Thanks.

jamesc

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I have not noticed it on wall charging, which I've been doing for a week now. But your logic for the problem seems correct

wyluli

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Format the card with the phone, Not a PC

I had this same problem, after setting up custom ringtones and SMS sounds they would reset to defult or nothing when my sd card became unmounted.

This is fixed by -

1- Copy your sd card to your pc desktop (everything)

2- Unplug your phone and format the sd card from your sd card options with in the phone. (card must be unmounted to format within the phone)

3- mount card, plug in phone, copy back your files.

4- unplug phone, and set all your ringtones for the last time :)

Enjoy

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
If you root the phone (or are already rooted), you can copy all of the custom ringtones and notifications to the internal memory.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I created a folder on my sd card called >Media> inside that folder created another folder called >audio>Inside that folder created 3 folders >alarms>notifications>ringtones. I put whatever sound I want in the correct folder , etc all ringtones go in the ringtone folder, all notifications go in that folder , and all alarms sounds go in that folder.So far I have not have my custom tones change .

For my music tunes I just leave that sound in the root of media folder

wyluli

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Remove the folder audio. Inside the media folder is where you need your sound folders "ringtones,notifications and alarms". The extra folder "audio" doesn't work well with some app

Last edited:

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Ringers need to be in SD Card >> Media >> Audio >> Ringtones and also you need to disable the Mass Storage option and use Charge Only when you plug to pc because the ringer software cant access the ringers on card when it is used as a pc storage.

This will resolve you issue.

Last edited:

Nashcat

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I created a folder on my sd card called >Media> inside that folder created another folder called >audio>Inside that folder created 3 folders >alarms>notifications>ringtones. I put whatever sound I want in the correct folder , etc all ringtones go in the ringtone folder, all notifications go in that folder , and all alarms sounds go in that folder.So far I have not have my custom tones change .

For my music tunes I just leave that sound in the root of media folder

This is exactly the way I have mine organized, but I don't even have to connect my DX to the PC for my problem (which is a little different from others') to occur.

All I have to do is turn off the phone for whatever reason. When I turn it back on, the Notification alert (of my making) for my Bellsouth acct, and ONLY that one, resets to Moonbeam. The same happens if I connect to PC, too, but I haven't seen anyone else speak of theirs doing it just for having turned it off.

Custom ringtones (whether homemade or not, whether default or those assigned to individual contacts) are unchanged, as well as GMail and text SMS. It's only the Bellsouth acct.

Any ideas? Btw, I'm not rooted.

Nashcat

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
See the information I highlighted red on previous post..

Well, while I can appreciate that what you're saying works for you, I don't plug my DX into the PC to charge it. Only for file management, like adding/deleting tunes or pix. And you didn't address the fact that I only have to turn it off/on...?

Any other ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool