7 screens???

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I have gotten my X organized the way I want it finally. LOL...after two weeks of playing, learning apps, etc.
I know that more real estate is usually a good thing and, we have some screenshots of a few folks screens.
And I only come up with bout 5 screens of stuff that I actually USE. I mean by the time you scroll over some pages, you can usually just open that app drawer and poke what you want. home has most often used, Gmail, Handcent, Marketplace, news, weather, calendar. Then the other pages are like for utilities (power mgmt, calc, opera, sys dashboard, notes), one for fun (put the games in a folder named 'games'), one for feeds like Android central widget, FB, one has a couple of fav photos on it...
I mean, really just started to wonder last nite..what ya'll puttin on all these pages??
Maybe I'm misssing something...or do you have some empty screens as well. I just don't wanna junk up my phone with an app just to take up realestate.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
LoL yeah I have a couple of totaly blank screens too. I have one blank on purpose and one reserved for other stuff :) . I dont have the other 5 screens maxed out but in time I am sure I will be having to rearrange stuff and decide on what stuff Iwant on my screens and what stuff I dont. I only had the DX since 7/28 so its still pretty new to me.

Leif

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
First, let me state that it's not all set up, because I have better things to do with my life than spend an hour or two setting up my pages (I think android should really help with tagging apps, rather than dumping it all in one large 'app drawer', imagine how linux (or at least ubuntu linux) manages your applications for you.

1. Soundboard type things (instant rimshot, phasors, violin, etc. etc.)
2. App Development (most apps on this screen are signed with the debug key, and I'm working on them, or use them for development).
3. Utilities (console, file manager, ereader, etc. etc.)
4. Home (power, market, wifi, search, etc. etc.)
5. Communications (gmail, gvoice, irc, im, etc.)
6. Media (youtube, music, video, npr, etc.)
7. Games

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
1. Toggles/Post-it Note/Utilities
2. Social Networking
3. Calendar and Email
4. Clock/Weather Widget/Market/Browser/Text/Google Maps
5. Quick Contacts
6. Media (Music Player/Gallery/YouTube/Double Twist)
7. News Widgets/Games

jamesc

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
i deleted the crap on all the other screens. Put my calendar on the main screen and filled it up with the apps i use the most. 7 screens is 6 screens too excessive for me, especially when there is still the hidden dock menu

derpudel

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I use all my screens! lol
Home screen: Calendar and Agenda, Browser, Market, Voicemail, Handcent
Others: Contact screen- favorite contacts, voice dial, recent calls, Contact list
Media screen: Music player (stock), Photo widget (stock), Kindle, Camcorder, Gallery,Pandora
News screen: News feed (stock), Notes widget
Messaging screen: Gmail, Voice Command, Stock calendar
Data screen: Toggle widget (stock), Radar Now, data Usage, 3G Mobile, Maps, My accounts
Social screen: FB widget

I have them all filled up! Love this phone:)

dvader

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
everyone uses their device differently.
7 screens is neither to much nor to little. because it's relative to the user.
with LP, i use all 7 screens and all 3 docks bars
it's just how " I " like to use my phone.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
haha this thread is funny because when i got my first/current android phone and added a launcher that had 5 screens i asked the same question. what do i do with all of those screens? the only thing i can say is over time you will fill them up and wonder how you could have just used 3 screens. the more apps/widgets that come out the more space you will fill up. trust me, i know exactly how you guys feel. you could always have each screen dedicated to a specific subject though. like 1 for games, 1 for tasks, 1 for communication stuff, etc...

on a side note though, the lest widgets you have on your homescreen the more memory you will have available and the longer your battery will last. especially if they are
widgets that update frequently.

alpha752

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Im using LP with 6 screens:

1. Power widgets (BT, GPS, WIFI ect) and misc Utilities
2. Content feeds (FB, News, Twitter, RSS)
3. Home- Only clock, Browser and Google voice, along with the dock
4. Media- Pandora, Google Listen, Gallery, Kindle, Blockbuster
5. Games
6. Full screen Calwidget for my calendar

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok, glad to see it's not only me. LOL. I do enjoy pictures a lot, so I'm thinking I might make one or two screens for just a couple of my favorite pictures.
On the Launcher Pro...Guess I'm old fashioned. I just don't want to bog my device (note, not calling it a phone. LOL) down with other stuff that I can do without. I actually like the included wallpaper that comes with the Droid. I don't like a bunch of busy or live backgrounds. Most are just cheesy and drain the battery.
I also got the retro clock widget for the home screen that is a perfect size that looks great on the stock background:

matthewdlyons

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
There are times when seven screens feels like too much, but I do have each screen organized (themed) for different things.

Left Page 1: Latitude widget, app shortcuts for maps, places, navigation, weatherbug, bluetooth, gps, camera and camcorder

Left Page 2: Touiteur 4x3 widget, app shortcuts for facebook and google buzz

Left Page 3: App shortcuts for my bank, evernote, blogger, tapatalk, kayak, movies, opentable, yelp, kindle, nook, audible, market, appbrain and paper toss

Main/Home Screen: Clock widget, app shortcuts for mail, gmail, calendar, browser, google voice, google talk, wifi and ringer silence

Right Page 1: Moto contact tile widgets

Right Page 2: Slacker widget, pandora widget, last.fm widget, app shortcuts for listen, fm radio, and youtube

Right Page 3: Moto news widget (4x2), app shortcuts for engadget, npr news, ny times, usa today and nfl mobile

Last edited:

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Since numbering the screens is relative (is screen 1 the left most screen or the home screen?), I'm going to do something like matthewdlyons, but slightly modified. I use LauncherPro and I think 7 is perfect. The dock at the bottom allows me to add a few essential apps at the bottom which take it off the screens (e.g. dialer, browser, calculator, text messages).

Leftmost Page 3: Games, game emulators

Left Page 2: Utilities such as Astro, Bump, My Verizon, etc. + Dictionary.com and Quickpedia

Left Page 1: Audio-video related (Guitar Solo, tuner, Mangler, SoundHound, Youtube, music player, etc) + SwitchPro Widget and Jorte calendar

Main/Home Screen: Clock/weather widget (Beautiful Widgets), Gmail, Gtalk, AppBrain, Maps, and Facebook

Right Page 1: Commonly Used Apps + Pictures: Notes, Dropbox, Messaging and Contacts, Photo Gallery, Vignette, pictures editor, timer, regular Marketplace, Yelp, and a folder for tools (e.g. conversions, leveling bubble, etc).

Right Page 2: Fun apps + other, such as drawing and doodling apps, Layar, Google Sky, Earth, etc.

Rightmost Page 3: Empty (for now of course, heh)

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Using the template from CarbonOak (but only 5 pages, for now)

LauncherPro Dock: Handcent, Dialer, App Drawer, Browser, GMail

Leftmost Page 2: Blank (for now)

Left Page 1: Commonly used applications (ESPN Scorecenter, ESPN Radio, ScoreMobile, Seesmic, Google Maps, Google Places, Mint, MyVerizon, Market, AppBrain Market, Barcode Scanner, Google Shopper, Astro, Terminal Emulator, Android System Info, Mobilse Notes)

Main/Home Screen (Very Plain :cool: ): Beautiful Smaller Home (Blackboard Clock & Blackboard Weather), Google Search Widget, SwitchPro

Right Page 1: Media (Camera, Vignette, PhotoFunia, Gallery, Pandora Widget, Music Widget, Music, Google Listen, YouTube, Car Dock)

Rightmost Page 2: Games (RoboDefense Pro, Abduction, Jewels, Quadit, Solitaire, RomBuddy, NESoid, SNSEoid, Gensoid, GBCoid)

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Just use your imagination! It's infinitely customizable. I have 1 or 2 picture widgets on each screen of family and friends. One page is strictly dedicated to all quick dial frequent contacts on one side, quick text of those on the other. One page dedicated to utility apps. Battery widget, calendar widget, mint.com widget, etc. Power bar widget, Google buzz widget.

And of course use launcher pro for the 3 scrolling docks at The bottom for efficiency:)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad