I'm working on seeing how far/long I can get the battery to last on my X. I know (or at least believe) that weather related widgets (like for WeatherBug) drain the battery some, but do any others. What about calendar widgets? Do they make connections to Gmail to populate their data, or just grab it from your calendar when you click on the widget?
    08-01-2010 05:51 PM
    I don't know about all calendar widgets, but I have a growing body of data that suggests that the Pure Calendar widget drains the heck out of my battery (I have about a weeks worth of attempts where I either installed or removed it, and I get a whole day of battery when it's not installed, but less than 10 hours when it is).

Meanwhile I am using CalWidget on the days when I removed Pure Calendar and it doesn't seem to eat the battery. So it may just vary? What have other seen...does anyone get excellent battery life with Pure Cal installed?
    08-01-2010 05:58 PM
    Now that you mention it, I have noticed my battery draining faster and it has been since I installed Pure Calendar Widget. I think I will start with a fresh charge tomorrow with it and then without it and see what happens.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    08-01-2010 06:36 PM
    I don't know about all calendar widgets, but I have a growing body of data that suggests that the Pure Calendar widget drains the heck out of my battery (I have about a weeks worth of attempts where I either installed or removed it, and I get a whole day of battery when it's not installed, but less than 10 hours when it is).

Meanwhile I am using CalWidget on the days when I removed Pure Calendar and it doesn't seem to eat the battery. So it may just vary? What have other seen...does anyone get excellent battery life with Pure Cal installed?
    Pure calendar and pure messenger seem to be big battery hogs with my phone.
    08-01-2010 06:38 PM
    Would it be a fair assumption that IF the calendar widget is draining the battery, it would only occur if you had the widget on one of your home pages? In other words, just having it installed on the phone should not cause any drain if it's not placed on a page...right?
    08-01-2010 06:43 PM
    Would it be a fair assumption that IF the calendar widget is draining the battery, it would only occur if you had the widget on one of your home pages? In other words, just having it installed on the phone should not cause any drain if it's not placed on a page...right?
    Yes you are correct. I still have my pure widgets but, they are no longer on my homescreen.
    08-01-2010 06:47 PM
    Wonder how big of a drain the Beautiful Widget is?
    08-01-2010 06:50 PM
    Wonder how big of a drain the Beautiful Widget is?
    I have BW updating every 30 minutes and haven't noticed much drain at all. I went almost all of last week without any weather widgets since they were all having trouble updating the correct weather.

Long story short, I haven't noticed any difference since I put Beautiful weather widget back on.
    08-01-2010 06:55 PM
    I have BW updating every 30 minutes and haven't noticed much drain at all. I went almost all of last week without any weather widgets since they were all having trouble updating the correct weather.

Long story short, I haven't noticed any difference since I put Beautiful weather widget back on.
    I did the same thing when BW was having problems and I haven't noticed any difference after putting it back on.

And just to add to the Pure Calendar widget discussion, I have been hearing quite a bit of battery drainage with it being used as well.
    08-01-2010 07:14 PM
    News, sports & stocks widgets will depnding how often they update. Live wall papers will too.
    08-01-2010 07:15 PM
    Yeah, I've tried with and without BW and seen no issue that I can measure (i.e. whether I get an extra phone call matters more). But without exception I've had a one to one correlation with Pure Calendar Widget for 9 days now (5 with, 4 without, not all in a row either) and horrible battery life...and the widget isn't even on my home page.

Today, even with the longest phone call I've had, internet surfing, the usual high amount of emails (mostly deletions) some tapatalk posting, and taking some photos and playing videos for my daughter I was at 50% battery after 9 hours. Yesterday, with lighter use my phone died before that time, and the only difference was Pure Calendar Widget wasn't installed today..

I'm still trying to figure out if anything else could be contributing, but so far it seems pretty clear to me.
    08-01-2010 08:56 PM
    Is this only with Pure Calendar? What of the stock Moto calendar Widget?
    08-01-2010 09:57 PM
    Juice defender helps a lot, getting a day and a half or more now that I have it installed!
    08-01-2010 10:01 PM
    Hi,
    I am the dev of Pure calendar.
    Pure calendar doesn't use any battery or CPU while asleep.
    It use battery only when :
    - use press refresh button
    - an event is added / modified / removed
    - you kill the service because it will automatically restart and use more battery than keeping it.
    03-22-2011 05:20 AM
    Have you all looked at Jorte in lieu of Pure Calendar widget? I don't use Jorte's widgets, but there are plenty of them. I use their application and just open it on my desktop. Works really well and is FREE.
    03-22-2011 01:33 PM
    I have Pure Calendar and my battery history app does not note it as using a lot of power. OTOH, I do not know how that is measured.

More to the point, are there good battery measuring apps so we can do this scientifically? I did very little yesterday and my battery was down to 15% by 2 PM. I was in meetings all day and mainly sat in a chair and took notes by pen.
    03-23-2011 11:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD