fps on DX = fps on PC?

anon(40324)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
So I just found a sweet Sega Genesis emulator for my PC. I'm planning on also getting the Sega Genesis emulator from the Android Market for my DX when I finally get the phone. When I started the emulator, I noticed it was displaying FPS numbers around 60. I watched the video comparison between the DX and the Galaxy S and I remember those numbers being around 45 for the DX and above 50 for the Galaxy S. My question is, will the slower FPS on the DX be noticeable on something not so 3D intensive (like an emulator)? Or are those two different FPS scores not directly comparable?

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Anything less than 60 is noticeable, don't listen to anyone who says otherwise. The key here is emulators work by processing multiple things at once, such as sound and graphics. If the emulator dips even 5 fps you will notice it in the sound. Die hard gamers, no die hard pc gamers, will especially notice sub 60 frames per second.

All that being said I get 60 fps in almost all games on old school emulators, so don't worry to much. Not to mention devs are constantly improving these emulators.

ratmonkey

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Anything less than 60 in a very action intense game will be noticeable to a point, but anything over 24 won't make a difference on any other type of game.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Furthermore, just like with PC benchmarks, you have to take the test into context. The Samsung did 5 FPS more on an openGL 3D-heavy set of tests...there's nothing like that in the Sega Genesis, so unless the emulator itself sucks (which I doubt, and it could be improved via updates if it did) there's no reason any modern Android phone couldn't play it at full speed. Todays smartphones are a lot more powerful than the older consoles were.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1