loved my EVO but Sprint was pissing me off. I got out of my contract for free and have a Droid X in my hands and it is AWESOME!!! This phone is even faster.

cant wait to learn more about my new phone.

PS - should I install a task killer?
    08-03-2010 09:57 PM
    Congrats & welcome! The very first thing you should do is read the stickies. Particularly the FAQ and the one on task killers
    08-03-2010 10:04 PM
    loved my EVO but Sprint was pissing me off. I got out of my contract for free and have a Droid X in my hands and it is AWESOME!!! This phone is even faster.

You will receive mixed views on this subject but I 100% believe it is a must, just make sure that you exclude needed apps and close all others.... Advance Task Manager is the best one, I wont use mine without it...

Best way to decide is to install it since its free to install and see how it works for you.
    08-03-2010 10:04 PM
    You will receive mixed views on this subject but I 100% believe it is a must, just make sure that you exclude needed apps and close all others.... Advance Task Manager is the best one, I wont use mine without it...

Best way to decide is to install it since its free to install and see how it works for you.
    What visible benefit have you seen from using one? Personally, my phone never ran faster, nor did I see an improvement in battery life when I experimented with using one. All it really did, was psychologically make me feel good that I was killing apps I wasn't using However, I could never quantify that with anything very tangible. So I'm curious to hear your experience that led you to believe it's a 100% a must.
    08-03-2010 10:15 PM
    k most people say not to use one. i'll go a day without one and see how it goes.
    08-03-2010 10:24 PM
    So far I haven't noticed any added value to killing tasks as I haven't let them build up enough to warrant its use. I have however noticed killing some tasks cause my 3g connection to reset and reconnect. I haven't figured out which ones yet. I excluded all of the tasks that were running when I got the phone up and running and most of my apps downloaded and configured. I would say only use a task killer when you notice a slow down.
    08-03-2010 10:25 PM
    k most people say not to use one. i'll go a day without one and see how it goes.
    Hardly a fair test. You will be using your phone a lot the first day and the battery won't be broken in. It took a week or so for my battery to break in and my battery life is great.

I ran my phone with, and without. No noticeable difference. My best recommendation is to limit auto updating widgets. My wife left a bunch of the factory displayed widgets up and running and the X ran slower and laggy. Got rid of them and voila, all better.

Choose your apps and widgets wisely and check the comments for an app or widget in the Market before you download.
    08-03-2010 10:27 PM
    Hardly a fair test. You will be using your phone a lot the first day and the battery won't be broken in. It took a week or so for my battery to break in and my battery life is great.

I ran my phone with, and without. No noticeable difference. My best recommendation is to limit auto updating widgets. My wife left a bunch of the factory displayed widgets up and running and the X ran slower and laggy. Got rid of them and voila, all better.

Choose your apps and widgets wisely and check the comments for an app or widget in the Market before you download.
    in dont use widgets cuz they made my evo lag. also what launcher should i use?
    08-03-2010 10:30 PM
    LauncherPro is a great one. I'm using a paid version
    08-03-2010 10:54 PM
    LauncherPro is great. I use it as well. I have a few widgets running, not a whole lot though, Beautiful Widgets (Smaller Home), BatteryLife, Pandora, and the stock music player and it doesn't lag at all for me.

Just some quick advice about LauncherPro though, if you're going to use it make sure you clear all the icons and widgets off of the stock launcher first to keep it running nice and smooth (saves battery life too).
    08-03-2010 11:10 PM

Welcome! I too ditched Sprint for Verizon and haven't been happier. My bill is a little bit higher but so worth it.
    08-04-2010 01:05 AM
    I guess since you didnt pay an ETF its not so bad, but leaving the Evo for the DX is like selling your xbox 360 for a PS3. Plus 4g is expanding... fast... and it is fast....
    08-04-2010 06:05 AM
    I have to echo what avlfive said, you don't have to avoid widgets all together. I have a grid calendar, beautiful widget and a batter widget. No lag whatsoever.

I use the other big launcher, ADW Launcher. You can't really go wrong with either one.
    08-04-2010 06:28 AM
    Hey savagedroid112,

I just wondered what Sprint did to hack you off? A friend of mine at work is trying to decide between Sprint and Verizon and I hadn't heard anyone say Sprint was bad. I've had Verizon for years and have been happy with them, but haven't known someone on Sprint. Just curious!
    08-04-2010 07:36 AM
    I traded my xbox360 for a ps3... (after 4 rrod & disk spindle problems)
    Have to say, I was on sprint for a long time and their coverage had really improved in my area in the last year. That being said, I switched to vzw for the x and I'm lovin' it!
    As far as task killers go, I played with atk for a minute but realized that I was good with the stock app manager, kill any app with a couple of keystrokes. I just keep a shortcut on a home screen.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    dragozoid likes this.
    08-04-2010 08:45 AM
    What visible benefit have you seen from using one? Personally, my phone never ran faster, nor did I see an improvement in battery life when I experimented with using one. All it really did, was psychologically make me feel good that I was killing apps I wasn't using However, I could never quantify that with anything very tangible. So I'm curious to hear your experience that led you to believe it's a 100% a must.

Agreed, add on type Task Kilers are a total waste of time and alot of people have the opposite effect on battery lifa as they originally intended by installing it.
    08-04-2010 08:52 AM
    First thing I can say on using a task killer is that it cut down on my lagging and lock up issues I experienced when I first received my device and I have notice less battery drain when I closed unused application instead of simply allow them to sit idling in the background. I haven't experience any issues with my device since I installed Advance Task Killer. I can play streaming data from my remote computer at home and even play games across the web against other players without lag but when I disable auto task killer the images always started jerking and at time just froze.

Also I understand that Android handles memory better than other mobile operating system but the concept of believing that allowing 10 or 15 apps sitting open in the background would not impact the devices performance, this is nice in a dream world but in a real world situation this all uses ram and processor which will impact the device..

I am not trying to change anyone's opinion on using a task manager but I just don't believe (From my experience) that if used correctly there will be advantages to using them. So many have made their opinion off others views and I simply believe that it is best for individuals to test this out for themselves instead of someones opinion that may or may not be using it correctly.
    08-04-2010 09:27 AM
    Thanks for sharing wildman.
    08-04-2010 09:54 AM
    I dont use any task killer cause I know I will mess something up . I just let the OS handle how the phone functions.

I do change display settings,auto brightness and turn off GPS, etc.stuff like that.But other then that I dont worry about shutting down programs . I figure the android OS will take care of that for me.
    08-04-2010 09:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD