Droid 1 vs Droid X [pro-con]

Skatedawg

ROM Abuser
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok so i found a guy of craigslist that is willing to sell me his Droid X for about 350 dollars. (Would get it in the store but not eligible for upgrade...shocking right?) I would have to drive about an hour and a half to get it but that doesnt really bother me.

Anyways, my question is by getting this device what do i get and what do i lose by going from the Droid 1 to the Droid X? Sorry if its a stupid question. New to Android. Just got my droid 1 a month ago from a friend.

Of course i lose my physical keyboard but what else is a factor. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you. :)

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Lose rooting/custom rom installation abilities.

Gain speed (x twice as fast) and a much bigger screen. And the x is lighter.

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Bigger screen.more internal memory,lighter weight,7 home screens,nicer widgets,faster,swipe,and on ,and on,and on.........LOL

Skatedawg

ROM Abuser
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Burwill, if i read somewhere correctly. There is a way to root it correct? I dont completely lose it, its just harder, right?

Your both saying Droid X is definitely better?

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Yes much better, if you do a search you will see all the articles on rooting the X ,also at the top of Forums there is a complete seperate stickie on the subject.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
You can root. It's not hard either. Custom ROMs are another story. The bootloader hasn't been cracked yet but believe me, they are working on it.

I have both an OG Droid and an X and I much prefer the X. I have no use for a physical keyboard so I don't mind losing that part. Willymakit75 made some real good points which I agree completely with.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Now, I loved my OG Droid and there are some things I miss (like the custom ROMs) but that those were mainly to improve the performance and look of the phone which isn't needed with the X.

The OG Droid has the virtual buttons and I didn't like those at all so I'm happy to have the physical buttons on the X.

The camera is great, the screen is clear and BIG, it has great battery life (for me), HDMI out, faster processor, again, we could go on and on about it.

It might even be a good idea to go to a VZW store and play around with a display model to see if you really like it yourself.

Skatedawg

ROM Abuser
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
So what exactly do Custom ROMs do? Ive seen the term thrown around a lot. Sorry if its a stupid question. Im coming from blackberry and im used to strict environments besides occasional leaks and hybrids.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
So what exactly do Custom ROMs do? Ive seen the term thrown around a lot. Sorry if its a stupid question. Im coming from blackberry and im used to strict environments besides occasional leaks and hybrids.

I guess you could say it's kinda like a BlackBerry hybrid (I played with those a TON too) but on steroids. It's like a hybrid in the sense that they (the chefs) build them from existing OS versions and then tweak them to give them more appealing looks (colors, customization options, launchers, etc) and performance (overclocking, streamlining, etc).

You could research if you want to get more in depth about it. I'm a little green on that part as well (but I have used them and loved them on the OG Droid) so anyone feel free to add on or correct me if I'm wrong.

Skatedawg

ROM Abuser
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Im not big on rooting. I rooted my Droid a few days ago and decided to go back because the whole reason i rooted it was because i wanted to delete the mp3 store verizon puts on it but it wouldnt let me do it so i just reloaded the stock software on it and just now put 2.2 on it. Might root it again just to play around but idk. I read an article on another website about Custom ROMs and they seem cool but they also seem like they could be trouble. I think if i had to i can wait on Custom ROMs.

Anymore great information? You all have provided great information so far.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Im not big on rooting. I rooted my Droid a few days ago and decided to go back because the whole reason i rooted it was because i wanted to delete the mp3 store verizon puts on it but it wouldnt let me do it so i just reloaded the stock software on it and just now put 2.2 on it. Might root it again just to play around but idk. I read an article on another website about Custom ROMs and they seem cool but they also seem like they could be trouble. I think if i had to i can wait on Custom ROMs.

As of right now with the X, rooting and installing root-only apps are safe but once you get deeper (deleting bloatware, messing with framework, etc) than that it gets a little shaky, especially without a way to backup and restore.

Feel free to ask any questions that you may have, browse the forums, or start your a new thread if you want (after searching first of course :p).

Skatedawg

ROM Abuser
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
From your signature, i see you went a similar route that i have. I went in the following order....

BlackBerry 8330 (July '07) --> BlackBerry Storm1 (Dec '08) --> Blackberry Storm 2 (Nov '09) Motorola Droid (July '10) --> Motorola Droid X (Soon Possibly)

Did you regret going from a blackberry to an android device? And do you regret switching from the Droid 1 to the X in any form?

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
From your signature, i see you went a similar route that i have. I went in the following order....

BlackBerry 8330 (July '07) --> BlackBerry Storm1 (Dec '08) --> Blackberry Storm 2 (Nov '09) Motorola Droid (July '10) --> Motorola Droid X (Soon Possibly)

Did you regret going from a blackberry to an android device? And do you regret switching from the Droid 1 to the X in any form?

NO WAY! and NO WAY!

The Droid (some people don't like when you put a number in front of the OG :cool:) was and still is a great device and if I wasn't up for my upgrade in July, I wouldn't feel bad at all about keeping it. I ran the Froyo version of BuglessBeast (v.4) and I it screamed for me. I don't want to talk you out of the X but depending on when your upgrade is, just imagine what devices might be out then, and if there isn't anything that catches your eye then, the X will still be waiting.

dragozoid

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
1/08/11 is my next available update. Should i wait or get this Droid X off craigslist for 350? Should i add im impatient?

If you can get the DX for $350 then go for it. The phone alone is worth well over $500 if you'd like to sell it so you'd be making money buying it if you ended up not liking it.

That said, I have both a D1 and DX. I plan on selling my D1 (it's collecting dust) and keeping my DX. I upgraded to the DX because I wanted the larger screen, dedicated memory for app storage, and support for Gingerbread. I also wasn't satisfied with the way my D1 was performing even with 2.2. It was a little laggy and not as stable as stock. I didn't think it would be worth the money but it was and I got my DX for $300 out of the store without contract thanks to a few reps.

dragozoid

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Oh yeah i didn't think about Gingerbread (that's 3.0 which the droid wont get correct?)

I'm not sure if it's 3.0 but that's what a lot of sources are saying. It could be 2.3 for all we know. I guess they're assuming it's 3.0 because it's supposed to be a major update like 2.0.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
OK, so, sorry to flipflop here but I just got home from work and decided to load the stock 2.2 on my OG Droid and I really have to say that as nice as it is and as good as it was for me, after using the X, it almost feels unusable. The screen seems so tiny and I wouldn't call it lag but it does hiccup a little bit.

It's easy to spend someone else's money but I'd have to say to jump on the X. The only thing that I would hope is that there's nothing is wrong with it.

There was a guy around here that bought a used X from a guy off of Craigslist and it worked fine up until the update and now his camera doesn't work and supposedly VZW said they couldn't help him because he didn't purchase the phone through them. I'm really hoping for him that he'll get it taken care of because it does have the 1 year warranty at least.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

We don't quite have the kind of rooting community in this forum, which is not good or bad, that you might find on a couple of other forums (which I won't promote out of respect for the owners here). But if you were to do a search for JRummy (Kangerade) and Pete Alphonso (Bugless Beast) for example, you'll see examples of their work. I especially like the Kangerade themes which are nicely integrated and very attractive.

The stock look to these phones aren't necessarily bad but they are bland IMO. The custom roms allow you to change that but you need to have the bootloader cracked and that may never come to the X due to security measures put in place by Moto. The fact that you can root but not load custom roms doesn't get you very far. Custom roms from the reputable designers are quite safe....you'll see little bugs here and there which are eventually ironed out but rarely bork you phone. The biggest problem for custom rom users....it's addictive! There is always a new a 'better' one out there and they are fun to play around with.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Droid may never get Gingerbread. At a point, handset manufacturers will quit porting Android versions for older phones. I don't even think the Eris is going to get Froyo unless I've missed something. That would be a big downfall. Now hackers may continue make ROMs of the current OS for older devices, but it would be harder for them to do without a good Moto built and approved base to start from.

That being said, I will probably always have 1 Windows XP machine in my home.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2