I am replacing my HTC Incredible with a Droid X today and I was wondering if there is a way to transfer all of my apps and data (contacts, music, pictures etc.) from the Incredible to the Droid X. I am willing to consider free or paid apps for this purpose, but my Incredible is not rooted and has not been upgraded to Froyo as of yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    08-04-2010 08:14 AM
    When you activate your new phone and log into your gmail account, all of your apps (free and paid) will be there waiting for you to download.
    08-04-2010 08:23 AM
    When you activate your new phone and log into your gmail account, all of your apps (free and paid) will be there waiting for you to download.
    Sorta... when you look at your downloads list in the market, it only shows the paid apps. If you had any free apps loaded, you have to know what they were, find them and download. I just went thru the DInc to DX conversion last night.

Also on the HTC Android devices, within the People app, you can export/import contacts to the SD. Which I did, expecting to easily import them on my DX. Well, the Motorola Contacts app on the DX doesnt have an export/import to SD option. So other then the google synced contacts, I had to manually input a few. Just an fyi...
    08-04-2010 08:40 AM
    If your music & pictures are on the removable SD card, just copy the contents of your SD card to a folder on your desktop. Then copy it over to the SD card on the X. Do the same thing for any music & pics that are on the internal 8GB card. And of course, you'll want to reformat both the internal and removable SD card when you are all finished - assuming you are returning the Incredible or giving it to someone else.

As far as apps go, greydarrah is right in regards to paid apps. I haven't always had the same luck with free apps showing up - after switching devices - or even after reformatting the same device. The best advice I can give anyone, is to download AppBrain in the market. AppBrain is an extremely useful market replacement app, that offers tons of functionality, but one of the ways it would benefit you - in this situation - is that it will upload a list of all the apps you currently use to the AppBrain website. When you get the X, you would install AppBrain on it and sign-in to AppBrain's website and you will see both devices listed in the upper left corner. You can then choose which apps to have AppBrain install on your new X (see attached picture).

As for email, contacts, and calendar, if you are using Gmail, all of that is already being synced. All you will need to do is sign-in to your Gmail account on the X, and it will all synchronize over.
    08-04-2010 08:45 AM
    Astro File Manager also has a backup feature that you can use to backup your apps to your SD card and then move them over to your new phone. You'll have to go through a re-install process in Astro when you restore them but it's much easier than using the Market to get everything back.
    08-04-2010 10:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD