Evo has Froyo
    Droid 2 releasing with Froyo soon
    Dinc getting Froyo soon
    Droid X "late summer" which means by September 23

Anyone else suffering from Froyo Envy?
    08-04-2010 08:34 AM
    Yes and no.

I'll be content with waiting as long as moto doesn't rush it out the door and give us a buggy product, i.e., waiting is better then instability.
    08-04-2010 09:13 AM
    better to have an X and have "Froyo envy" than have Froyo on a lesser device and end up with "X envy" instead ;-)
    08-04-2010 09:25 AM
    I'm still expecting froyo in 2-3 weeks. But that said, I'd rather they delay it to get it right then rush it out half-baked.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    08-04-2010 09:30 AM
    I was told by a Verizon rep in a retail store that the internal launch date is August 15. They've already been notified
    08-04-2010 09:34 AM
    better to have an X and have "Froyo envy" than have Froyo on a lesser device and end up with "X envy" instead ;-)
    Quite true. I played with an Ally and a Devour last night, and the screens seem so tiny. The Ally screen seems to be the same size as the enV Touch which I had before and thought it had a really nice screen... before I got the X.
    08-04-2010 09:45 AM
    Yeah my store told me by the end of august also
    08-04-2010 09:50 AM
    I was told by a Verizon rep in a retail store that the internal launch date is August 15. They've already been notified
    not true...we were told late summer, there is no solid date
    08-04-2010 09:50 AM
    Store reps have almost the same level/access to information as the consumer, i.e., they don't know anymore then we do.
    08-04-2010 09:53 AM
    I'm happy with my hybrid 2.1 OS. On my X. Don't need flash don't need Apps to sd . If they can't improve the speed then what good is it.
    08-04-2010 09:54 AM
    Never thought of it that way, I feel instantly better.

I do like that HTC is pushing the release of new Android builds, hopefully the competition(like Motorola) will react appropriately. HTC took 60ish days to release Froyo with Sense over it. Pretty quick IMO.

Since the Droid 2 releases with Froyo, the X can't be far behind. The phones are similar enough internally that it shouldn't be that much of stretch.*fingers crossed*
    08-04-2010 09:58 AM
    I'm happy with my hybrid 2.1 OS. On my X. Don't need flash don't need Apps to sd . If they can't improve the speed then what good is it.
    Not withstanding the fact that I do really want Flash...where did the part about not improving speed come from? The leaked internal builds that didn't show massive speed gains were just that: unoptimized internal test builds. Just like with all the other phones JIT will speed up the X handily.
    08-04-2010 10:01 AM
    I have absolutely zero Froyo envy right now, after modding the EVO forums the last few days. Issue after issue after issue is being reported. Skim over some of the recent threads being opened, and also take a look at the first few posts of this issues thread. That said, the main performance and battery life issues are directly connected to task killers, and the fact that Froyo is apparently no longer compatible with them.

Edit: Also, hard resets and unrooting appear to be essential to success.

We need to make mental notes of these things before we update, so it's great the EVO'ers get to go before us I am learning a lot from them.
    08-04-2010 10:06 AM
    With my rooted Droid 1, I installed flash but seemed like I didn't have much of a need for it with the sites I visit. The market is much improved as you can update all at once and the comments section has a separate tab when you are looking at the app description. Speed was considerably increased with froyo. With a stock Droid, that was a huge improvement. With the X it won't be such a big deal. That's about it.
    08-04-2010 10:07 AM
    That said, the main performance and battery life issues are directly connected to task killers, and the fact that Froyo is apparently no longer compatible with them.
    I'm covered then, I killed my ATK weeks ago
    08-04-2010 10:27 AM
    Also, hard resets and unrooting appear to be essential to success.

We need to make mental notes of these things before we update, so it's great the EVO'ers get to go before us I am learning a lot from them.
    Wow couldn't agree more Cory. Some valuable lessons learned without the cost of blood and tears!

Not too envious at all when you put it that way
    08-04-2010 11:23 AM
    I have absolutely zero Froyo envy right now, after modding the EVO forums the last few days. Issue after issue after issue is being reported. Skim over some of the recent threads being opened, and also take a look at the first few posts of this issues thread. That said, the main performance and battery life issues are directly connected to task killers, and the fact that Froyo is apparently no longer compatible with them.

Edit: Also, hard resets and unrooting appear to be essential to success.

Many in the IT profession refer to the above as being on the "Bleeding Edge of Technology" (as opposed to the "Leading Edge of Technology").

I have done my fair share of said "Bleeding" with new technology over the years (with or without a choice). All I can say is let others get the bumps, lumps, bruises and do the bleeding.

If it takes until "late summer" for Froyo for the X to come out and it causes little/no bumps, lumps, bruises or bleeding I am all for that. If after waiting those weeks and there is still a lot of bloodshed by X owners then Google, Moto and Verzion had better be prepared to take their fair share of lumps and do some bleeding.

Time will tell how this plays out so stay tuned.
    08-04-2010 12:04 PM
    If it takes until "late summer" for Froyo for the X to come out and it causes little/no bumps, lumps, bruises or bleeding I am all for that.
    +1

I would rather wait a little bit longer for a release to ensure that it comes out sparkling rather than get a buggy, prone-ridden one early.
    08-04-2010 12:39 PM
    What do you mean by hard resets? Like daily? Cause that would be disappointing. After the recent update I had all the issues people talked about, but I did a factory reset and it cleared everything up. Perhaps that is the cure?
    08-04-2010 12:43 PM
    I have two friends (don't know each other), who live in different states. One works at a store in MI (GO BLUE!) the other is in TN and is a supervisor in technical support. I contacted both of them in regards to my rebooting issue and what I should do and they both said to wait for the Froyo update because it was being scheduled to start being released in the next week. Who knows...
    08-04-2010 01:12 PM
    What do you mean by hard resets? Like daily? Cause that would be disappointing. After the recent update I had all the issues people talked about, but I did a factory reset and it cleared everything up. Perhaps that is the cure?
    A hard reset is the first thing if my phone is acting strange after an update. I'd rather spend 20 minutes doing that, than spend several hours troubleshooting and reading through 1,000's of posts.

That said, Froyo is a major update, and the quantities of people I'm seeing having serious issues, without doing a hard reset, is much larger than I've ever seen in these forums. The main thing that makes people resistant - which I can understand - is the thought of having to set everything back up again. But it really isn't that hard.
    08-04-2010 01:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD