camera performance

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the camera performance. I went away with the family to New Hampshire over the weekend. I took my nikon camera and of course my phone. While I relied mostly on the SLR to take photos, I did shoot a handful from the DX.

They came out with a fair amount of noise, and the last two had the highlights blown, i.e., over exposed. The camera settings are at the default, i.e., ISO, automatic flash etc.

Anyone else care to comment on the camera's ability. I wasn't expecting to see images on par with my digital slr, but I was hoping for a better quality image :(

I'll be trying it out later today, and perhaps I'll see about posting the results here in subsequent posts.

KB3MMX

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
We've experianced the same thing with camera and video on the DX.

Not sure how some people can get good images on the DX, we haven't been able to do it but would love to get some pointers on good settings, etc..

Help?

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
We've experianced the same thing with camera and video on the DX.

Not sure how some people can get good images on the DX, we haven't been able to do it but would love to get some pointers on good settings, etc..

Help?

I learned that i could better image quality if I did not use the flash except in really low light and also I disable the auto ISO. so far 400 has worked well for me... It really appears that the auto settings isn't optimized so I have went to using custom settings with better results, hope when they release 2.2 it resolves this bug

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Since my last set of photos were over-blown, I also altered the ISO setting. Hopefully that will do the trick

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I've been hit or miss with the camera. I've been getting a lot of fantastic photos of my pets, and got some great shots of Yankee stadium a couple weeks back. Other times pictures are grainy or out of focus (which may just be the fault of my demon-spawn cat)

I plan on using the DX as my primary when I hit up D*Con in Atlanta next month. I'll be able to report back then as I usually get 300-400 pictures every year.

smoke_show

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
The pictures taken outside are really nice with the natural light. Artificial light is where I have the grainy issues. Does the higher iso setting usually help with artificial light?

Sent from my DROIDX

bigboss

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I hope there is some fix,
For this phone boasting 8mp, pics look terrible i can't really tell the difference between those pics and my bberry 8330 with 3.2 MP pics

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OneUnder85

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Used it last night at the Kings of Leon concert with poor results. Some photos came out extremely grainy or out of focus. I kept having to switch between modes to get a good photo due to concert lighting. The HD video however came out pretty nice

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The pictures taken outside are really nice with the natural light. Artificial light is where I have the grainy issues. Does the higher iso setting usually help with artificial light?

Sent from my DROIDX

Higher ISO settings usually helps in a lower light situation and the lower setting is good when outside in natural light,,, Most cameras can compensate for this on auto but the default camera app seems to have issues..

Reactions: daveku1

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Playing with the exposure settings has really helped me. In lower light I usually turn it up to 2 or 3 and that really helped

bobniborg

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I had poor results inside when poorly lit (like concerts... local ones, not the big ones).

I tried ISO 800, no real change... I didn't try the exposure thing KJ11aw mentioned so I'll give that a whirl next time.

I understand that this camera is not a DSLR, but I expected better pictures from it. I do note that the lens is easy to smudge without a case, my hand covers it when I am on the web. Maybe that is part of the issue with the autofocus.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
We already have a thread dedicated to the camera. It takes great pics in good light and ok to good pics in low light but you have to experiment with the various settings.

Why dont those with issues post their pics in that thread so we can see what's happening? Simply saying you're getting poor results isn't doing anyone any good nor can anyone give any meaningful pointers.

And yes you have to be sure the lens is clean before every pic - it can make a big difference.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
This is crazy what I just figured out, I was messing around with Google Goggles and I noticed that it handles camera shot a lot better than the stock apps, shots appear to be clearer and colors are brighter than using the stock camera application.. After testing this a number of times I came to the conclusion is the camera software causing our image shot issues, it seems to be handling images badly... With Google Goggles I do not have to mess with any settings to get a pretty clear shot in low or bright light plus the focus option seems to be better also, normally when I tried to focus on something close the image was always blurry where Google Goggles focus very well..

The only bad thing this isn't meant to be a dedicated camera app replacement so there is no way to save the images taken with this app..:confused:

Do any one know if these images are stored on the device when using Google Goggles because I would like to do a side to side comparison because I really believe that the shots are clearer?

Another thing I hope the report of 2.2 replacing camera app with a new interface... Read the article here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20005444-248.html

Last edited:

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Check out some of the pretty damn good shots we're getting with the X in this thread:

Ok...linking is not working. What the fudge.

Last edited:

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The only issue I have with that link is that mostly all the photos have been taken outside in bright light and everyone knows that the camera does well in bright lighting shots but under any other situations the shots are usually blurred and colors appear washed out...

tech42er#AC

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
This is crazy what I just figured out, I was messing around with Google Goggles and I noticed that it handles camera shot a lot better than the stock apps, shots appear to be clearer and colors are brighter than using the stock camera application.. After testing this a number of times I came to the conclusion is the camera software causing our image shot issues, it seems to be handling images badly... With Google Goggles I do not have to mess with any settings to get a pretty clear shot in low or bright light plus the focus option seems to be better also, normally when I tried to focus on something close the image was always blurry where Google Goggles focus very well..

The only bad thing this isn't meant to be a dedicated camera app replacement so there is no way to save the images taken with this app..:confused:

Do any one know if these images are stored on the device when using Google Goggles because I would like to do a side to side comparison because I really believe that the shots are clearer?

Another thing I hope the report of 2.2 replacing camera app with a new interface... Read the article here: Android 2.2 brings camera software improvements | Web Crawler - CNET News

Instead of using Google Goggles, why not just use Vignette? In my opinion, it takes much better pictures than the stock camera (though they're only 5 MP pictures). It's a great camera replacement app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34