To Keep you Droid X Running Fast and Smooth

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I've rooted, used autostarts to disable some unused stuff at startup, and used root explorer to rename a few bloatware files. My question is, when froyo (or any moto/verizon update) is released, what will I have to change back, if anything, to get the update. Please be specific, as I'm fairly new to the droid world.

If that's all you've done, all you SHOULD have to do is rename the bloatware back to what it was and you SHOULD be good to go.

I emphasize SHOULD because obviously FroYo hasn't been released yet so we don't know for sure but you should be fine.

heathro1281

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so did this and now 3 days into it, my only gripe is loss of multi-touch zoom control on the browser...

Anyone else confirm or no where to turn it back on?

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so did this and now 3 days into it, my only gripe is loss of multi-touch zoom control on the browser...

Anyone else confirm or no where to turn it back on?

Well that depends on what you actually did. I am NOT using a task killer, I am NOT deleting applications, I AM using autostarts, I AM using autokiller and I can still pinch to zoom.

What exactly did you do?

duffyanneal

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I haven't lost any functionality. I would go back and make sure you didn't accidentally kill a process in Autostarts. If nothing else you can reactivate everything and see if that fixes the problem.

heathro1281

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Well that depends on what you actually did. I am NOT using a task killer, I am NOT deleting applications, I AM using autostarts, I AM using autokiller and I can still pinch to zoom.

What exactly did you do?

I wasnt agressive, I didnt think. I am using ATK. I did everything the article said, but since there is so much leway, I might have killed something.

Going back through...

Mudvayne622

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I am considering doing this but i might just wait until after Froyo. Only question i have is if i set an app to not start on start up and i end up wanting to use it do i just click on the icon and it will start up? and then next time i reboot the phone will it be killed again?

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I am considering doing this but i might just wait until after Froyo. Only question i have is if i set an app to not start on start up and i end up wanting to use it do i just click on the icon and it will start up? and then next time i reboot the phone will it be killed again?

That is correct. Autostarts doesn't really kill things, it just prevents them from starting up during different situations. For example, after bootup, done things start up on their own and autostarts just keeps that from happening. Another example of a situation is "camera button pressed", my phone had listed, Vignette, Camera, and HandcentSMS. I disabled Handcent from starting up during that process but if I were to get a SMS message after that, Handcent would start running and work just fine.

heathro1281

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I had to allow com.browser.swg run. Thought it was the browser starting after start up, but it had something to do with the multitouch zoom I guess. All is well again.

I can confirm my battery life has almost tripled.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Itlan#AC

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
If I disbale "Sim ToolKit" then my bars on my notification screen dont work. Shows a big red X over them. Enabled and disabled this three times to confirm and so I dont know if its just me or other users aren't noticing but my X appears to need that so if after tweaking you lose your bars, thats the culprit.

Also, I can configure ATK but when I exit the app and come back in I cant see the list of apps I have set to kill on close. Just have the little red spinning circle at the bottom from AdFree. Anyone else seen this behavior during this tweak process?

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I had to allow com.browser.swg run. Thought it was the browser starting after start up, but it had something to do with the multitouch zoom I guess. All is well again.

I can confirm my battery life has almost tripled.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

That's nice to hear that you got it all figured out.

If I disbale "Sim ToolKit" then my bars on my notification screen dont work. Shows a big red X over them. Enabled and disabled this three times to confirm and so I dont know if its just me or other users aren't noticing but my X appears to need that so if after tweaking you lose your bars, thats the culprit.

Also, I can configure ATK but when I exit the app and come back in I cant see the list of apps I have set to kill on close. Just have the little red spinning circle at the bottom from AdFree. Anyone else seen this behavior during this tweak process?

I have mine set to disable SIM toolkit also with no problems at all.

Mudvayne622

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
That is correct. Autostarts doesn't really kill things, it just prevents them from starting up during different situations. For example, after bootup, done things start up on their own and autostarts just keeps that from happening. Another example of a situation is "camera button pressed", my phone had listed, Vignette, Camera, and HandcentSMS. I disabled Handcent from starting up during that process but if I were to get a SMS message after that, Handcent would start running and work just fine.

Ah i understand now. so it really is like using msconfig on Windows and blocking things from starting when you start your computer. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Still gonna wait until Froyo to give it a try though.

theanswer3

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The two running applications that I cannot seen to find are the social networking and sticky notes for some reason.

stickynotes I found. that one is. StickyNoteWidget.apk (Motorola Note Widget)
Social networking is still hogging resources. Hopefully someone can find that one for me.

Last edited:

heathro1281

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
That's nice to hear that you got it all figured out.

I have mine set to disable SIM toolkit also with no problems at all.

I also have the SIM toolkit disabled and have seen no trouble with the bars, are you sure its not a script that ATK is killing. When I kill in ATK, i get the 'no signal' icon for a few secs.

tlane01

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I followed the steps, only difficulty i had was when disabling items using "Autostarts" the app would get in a "please wait" while it was trying to disable the item in the after startup event. Still haven't figure out what is causing that.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I followed the steps, only difficulty i had was when disabling items using "Autostarts" the app would get in a "please wait" while it was trying to disable the item in the after startup event. Still haven't figure out what is causing that.

You have to put the phone in usb debugging mode (On the device, go to the home screen, press MENU, select Applications > Development, then enable USB debugging). A reference to it is somewhere in the downloading or initial launching of Autostarts. Mine was also hanging until I remembered seeing the message and made the change. Now all is well.

Itlan#AC

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I also have the SIM toolkit disabled and have seen no trouble with the bars, are you sure its not a script that ATK is killing. When I kill in ATK, i get the 'no signal' icon for a few secs.

Pretty sure. I had put everything except user launched apps into the ignore list. There wasnt a single moto process left on that list. But it I enabled it at autostart, bars, disabled it no bars.

Not to worried about it. Got 99% of the junk off it renaming everything using root explorer.

ATK per my comment didn't work, or it worked but once I went back into the app I couldnt see whats was on the to kill list, just hung at a black screen so I disabled it.

Come to think, autokiller didnt work either for me. When I changed the presets to Aggressive nothing changed. Once I left the app and came back in at one point it said you have default preset would you like to change them and I said yes but it doesnt appear to be saving them.

So 2 of the 4 hacks seem to work, root explorer and autostart. Using ATK and autokiller on my phone arent doing so hot. I rooted using easyroot, dont know if they way he roots is different then the PC method so some apps arent working exactly right that require root. Will need to play more and test whats up.

Last edited: